A number of free and low-cost screenings and services will be provided at the Health Fair including:
- Free blood pressure checks.
- Free blood sugar screen.
- Free body fat/body mass index analysis.
- Free lung/breathing test + healthy lung display.
- Free Dermascan� skin damage screening (provided by Clay County Extension office).
- Free Heel Ultrasound – osteoporosis screen.
- Free I-Step orthotic foot screen (provided by Sanford Home Medical Equipment).
- Cholesterol – Total/HDL ratio – $15.
- PSA Blood screen – $20.
- Community Blood Drive.
Services at Sanford Vermillion, OB/Delivery, Rehabilitation, Specialty/Outreach, Hospice/Home Health, American Cancer Society, Dakota Hospital Foundation, Eye, Organ and Tissue Donation, SD Lion's Eye Bank. Financial Literacy – Medicare Part D, LTC Insurance, Health Insurance.
Open to the Public:
- 9:30 a.m., Kari Jo James, Child Life Specialist
- 10 a.m., Eye, Organ and Tissue donation, SD Lions Eye Bank
- 10: 30 a.m., Healthcare Decisions and Legal Considerations
- 11 a.m., Financial Literacy: Medicare Part D, LTC Insurance, Health insurance
- 11:30 a.m., Heart Healthy Lifestyle, Roy Mortinsen, MD
And Much, Much More . . .
- Healthy Brunch Buffet served in the Cafeteria
- Children's Fun Room (Day care provided)
- Clay County EMS
- Clay County Volunteer Fire Department – Fire Truck on display (weather permitting)
- Clay County Sheriff Department – free gun locks and firearm safety information
- Vermillion Police Department – Child Seat Safety Check station (weather permitting)
- Facility Tours (every 30 minutes starting at 9:30 a.m.)
- Door Prizes and Giveaways
Community Blood Bank of Sioux Falls mobile unit will be onsite for blood donations. You may schedule a donation time in the laboratory at Sanford Vermillion or walk-in the day of the event.
"Having this opportunity through SIFE to make such a significant impact on the community of Vermillion as well as the campus of USD has definitely strengthened my leadership skills and has especially made me more aware of the importance of living a healthy lifestyle. By being in partnership with Sanford Vermillion, I hope to be able to reach the entire community to provide more information about healthy living through this most advantageous health and wellness fair," said Rachel Svartoien, SIFE president 2007-2008.
"We are very excited to partner with the students from the USD SIFE organization in planning and hosting this health and wellness fair. The committee has come up with broad range of health related activities for all ages," comments Mary Merrigan, director of public relations at Sanford Vermillion.
"There is something for everyone – including the kids. Attendees will be encouraged to check out all the offerings on March 1. Those who visit a certain number of the booths or screenings and complete a brief survey regarding the event will be included in door prize drawings throughout the day and qualify for the free bike and helmet giveaway. It will be a fun and informative day for all," said Merrigan.
Sanford Vermillion Medical Center is a member of the Sanford Health system. For more information, please call 605-624-2611.