- USD Women Softball – Wednesday, March 12, The University of South Dakota Women's Softball host Missouri Western State University in a doubleheader at 3 and 5 p.m. Currently these games will be played in the DakotaDome, but may be moved to the outside field – TBD.
- USD Chamber Orchestra – Thursday, March 13. The USD Chamber Orchestra under the direction of Dr. John Thomson and Dr. Marie-Elaine Gagnon, perform The Japanese Four Seasons to the public at no charge. This event is located at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre from 8 to 9:30 p.m.
- National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program – Friday, March 14, from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. The presentation this week will be Klassic Klarinet Klezmer. People are encouraged to bring their lunches and enjoy premium quality music.
- USD Spring Orchestra Festival – Friday, March 15, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre. The USD Department of Music string faculty and students host area high school musicians for this year's string festival. The day's activities culminate in a Festival Performance at 7 p.m., open to the public at no charge.
- USD Women's Basketball Tournament – Friday, March 14, The University of South Dakota women's basketball team, led by forward Ashley Robinette (35), received the number one seed and will host the North Central Regional Tournament on March 14, 15 and 17 at the DakotaDome. This will be the Coyotes' second straight and eighth overall bid in the NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Championships. USD will take on Colorado State-Pueblo at 6 p.m. on Friday, and other games TBD. The Regional Championship game will be held on Monday, March 17 at 7 p.m. Go Coyotes!
- USD Spring Break – Friday, March 14, combined spring break and Easter holiday begins at 5 p.m., and ends at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, March 25.
- Easter Basket Making – Saturday, March 15 from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the W.H. Over Museum located at 1110 Ratingen St. The museum is offering the opportunity to make an Easter basket. For questions or more information regarding this event, please call 605-677-5228.
- Sanford Vermillion Easter Egg Hunt – Saturday, March 15, at 10:30 a.m. in the Sanford Care Center Courtyard located at 125 Walker St. There will be three separate age groups, 1-3 year olds, 4-6 year olds, and 7-8 year olds. For more details call Julie at 605-638-8427.
- Fireman's Dance – Saturday, March 15 at the Eagles. The dance will begin at 9 p.m. Please come out and help support our local fire department by participating in this dance fundraiser!
- 2008 Great Strides: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center – Join Great Strides 2008! Make a commitment to exercise to improve your health! Recruit a team or participate as an individual or family. Packets and information are available online by going to www.sanfordvermil lion.org or calling 605-638-8465. Great Strides begins March 24.
- Senior Citizen Center Fundraiser – Wednesday, March 19 from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. located at the Senior Citizen Center at 320 W. Main St. You will be able enjoy a soup and sandwich lunch and prepare for Easter with bake sale goodies. There will be bake sale items available from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and lunch available from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Soups include ham and bean, chicken noodle, potato, and chili. Sandwiches include taverns and BBQ pork. Cards, (bridge and pitch), will begin at 1 p.m. Hope you can join them for a great time!
- Senior Center Looking for Volunteers – The Vermillion Senior Center is always looking for volunteers to assist with our monthly fundraisers that support the Senior Center that is used by many senior citizens of our community. We need 10-12 volunteers (per event) that can help prepare the tables and food, servers for the meal, beverage servers, kitchen preparation and clean up of the kitchen and dining area following the event.
If you are able to help or would like to be included on our list of volunteers for other fundraisers throughout the year, please contact the Senior Center at 624-8072 and ask for Crystal or e-mail the center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, phone number, e-mail address and any preferences that you would like to volunteer for (ex. dishwasher, server of food, cleanup, etc).
We prefer volunteers to be at least 13 years of age or at least able to pour hot beverages and serve hot food for guests. Any questions, please call Crystal at 624-8072. Thank you and we hope to hear from the many devoted volunteers in our area.
Barstow Park Ice Rink – The Barstow Park Ice Rink is closed for the season. We want to thank the City of Vermillion and the Parks and Recreation Department for their time and energy in making this available to the community! We look forward to having it again next year!
- Community Calendar/Weekly Update – To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillioncham ber.com or contact 624-5571.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
2008 Great Stride at Sanford – March 24.
SESDAC, Inc.'s 17th Annual Benefit Auction at The Buffalo Run Winery – April 5.
Taste of Home Cooking School – April 17.