- "Picture My World" Photography Exhibition – This series of photographs taken by individuals served by SESDAC was designed as part of a project to team USD education students with consumers of SESDAC services and is being displayed at Sletwold Hall Gallery in the W.H. Over Museum on Wednesday, April 23 through Friday, April 25 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- National Music Mus-eum Brown Bag Lunch Program – Friday, April 25, from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring "The Kyai Rengga Manis Everist Gamelan," USD Gamelan Ensemble. This program is free and open to the public. You are encouraged to bring a lunch and enjoy some wonderful music!
- The USD Symphony Orchestra and Choral Ensembles Concert – USD's Symphony Orchestra and Choral Ensembles join together for an evening of great music at Slagle Auditorium on Friday, April 25, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- The Rivals by Richard Brinsley Sheridan – The USD Theatre Department presents this comedy of manners in the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre in the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on Friday, April 25 through Tuesday, April 29 from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Arbor Day Tree Planting – The Vermillion Garden Club, along with the Jolley School second grade students, teachers, and Mayor Christopherson will be planting a tree in memory of Greg Conrad Saturday, April 26, at 2 p.m. on the west side of Prentis Park in Arbor Garden. The public is invited to attend.
- Salad & Sandwich Luncheon – Enjoy lunch and help raise money for a good cause at the St. Agnes Gymnasium Saturday, April 26, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00PM. Tickets are $6.00 and proceeds go to the Vermillion Senior Citizen Services Center. This event is sponsored by the Friends of St. Agnes and members of the Senior Center. Please call Crystal at 624-8072 for more information.
- Southeast South Dak-ota Pheasant Association Banquet – Join the revelry at the Eagles Club on Saturday, April 26. Social hour begins at 5 p.m., and the banquet will start at 6 p.m. Pre-sale tickets cost $10 for a single ticket, $15 for a couple, and $10 for a membership. At the door, ticket prices will be $15 and $20.
- Polaris Ribbon Cutt-ing and Open House for Expansion – Saturday, April 26, Polaris will be holding a ribbon-cutting for their new expansion project at 10 a.m. An open house will follow as well as tours of the expansion. Join us in celebrating one of Vermill-ion's largest employers and their wonderful contribution that they have given to the city of Vermillion. Please call Wendy at 624-1031 for more details.
Upcoming Events and Happenings:
- "In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy" Lecture – Dan Hooper, Ph.D. will be speaking in recognition of Astronomy Day on Thur-sday, May 1, at 7 p.m. in Farber Hall on the USD Campus. His presentation will highlight some of what physicists have learned about the theory of relativity since Einstein's first publications. This lecture is free and open to the public.
- The United States Army Material Command Band presents Invincible Eagle – This free public concert featuring a medley of patriotic, classical, and film music will take place Thursday, May 1, at 7:30 p.m. at the Knutson Theatre on the USD campus. Pick up your free tickets at the Broadcaster Press at 201 West Cherry Street.
- Vermillion Garden Club Plant Sale – Purchase plants for your summer garden Sunday, May 3, beginning at 9 a.m. The sale will take place at the 4-H Grounds on High Street.
- Special notice to water customers: Between April 16 and May 2, the City Water Department will be flushing the water mains. Please let your tap water run a few seconds before using to clear any sediment. This is important to remember before washing clothes.
- Big Friend-Little Fri-end, Inc. Seeks Board Mem-bers: BF-LF, Inc. matches youth ages 5-17 in Clay and Union County, and would like to add 2-3 adults and one student to its board. The members meet as needed, and determine program direction, help identify resources, and input on future needs. The two to three adults would have a business background, and be able to attend meetings. The USD or Vermillion Middle School student would also be willing to provide their ideas and help the program grow. For more information, please call John Gille at 605-356-2571 or his cell at 605-421-5050. Email email@example.com to find out how to help the program.
Community Calendar/Weekly Update
To check out more great community events, or if you would like to submit an event or a promotion, please log onto www.vermillionchamber.com or contact 624-5571.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
- Ribbon Cutting Cere-mony for Civic Council Re-Modeling Project – May 6.
- USD Spring Com-mencement – May 10.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D.—South Dakota junior guard Raeshel Contreras hit a 3-pointer with 1.1 seconds left to send the Coyotes past … Read Article