Sioux Falls attorney recipient of USDâ�?�?s 2009 McKusick Award The University of South Dakota Student Bar Association (SBA) presented Sioux Falls attorney Richard O. Gregerson the 2009 Marshall M. McKusick Award. Presenting the award to Gregerson during the annual meeting of the State Bar of South Dakota in Sioux Falls was Elizabeth Overmoe, a law student from Watertown, and the new SBA president. Gregerson, senior counsel with Woods, Fuller, Shultz & Smith in Sioux Falls, has been with the firm for 46 years, primarily practicing in the area of litigation and lobbying. He has also had considerable experience in eminent domain and election law. "We have a noble profession and a history of strong representation among leaders in our government bodies," said Gregerson, who was honored with a standing ovation during the award presentation. "Public interest law is one of the highest levels you can reach. Public service is and always has been at the heart of our profession." In 1963 Gregerson began private practice and his bar activities include president of the Second Circuit Bar Association, board member of East River Legal Services, and member of a number of bar sections and committees. He has also been a commissioner on Uniform State Laws since 1982, a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys. He received a bachelor's degree from Augustana College in 1957 and his juris doctor from the USD School of Law in 1962. While attending law school, Gregerson was SBA president. Prior to entering the private practice of law, he was a special agent with the FBI. He is a Korean War veteran having served three years in the Marine Corps. The McKusick Award is presented annually to an outstanding member of the South Dakota Bar for contributions to the legal profession. The SBA selects the recipient from nominations by members of the South Dakota Bar. Marshall M. McKusick (1879-1950) was a professor at the USD School of Law beginning in 1902. He was named dean of the Law School in 1911 where he served for nearly five decades.