Vermillion Area Chamber of
906 E Cherry St.,
Vermillion, SD 57069
• The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office will be relocating to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market St. in Suite 103 the end of September. We are expecting to be operational in the new location on Sept. 28. Please look for us under the water tower!
• Our new Web site has launched! This new and improved version of our website will offer Vermillion area visitors and potential customers better access to your goods and services. Check it out at www.vermillionchamber.com . We are also on Twitter! You can see updates on our website's homepage or follow us at http://twitter.com/vermillionsd.
This Weeks Happenings!
• USD Department of Art Alumni Exhibition. The USD Alumni present their work to the public in the Main Gallery of the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts from Sept. 24 to Oct. 16 with a reception on Oct. 9 from 7-9 p.m. The Main Gallery is open to the public at no charge between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays and from 1- 5 p.m. on weekends (closed holidays).
• USD Women's Volleyball host Seattle University in the DakotaDome at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 25.
• Punt, Pass and Kick competition is Saturday, Sept. 26 at 8 a.m. in the DakotaDome. Divisions for boys' ages 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15 and girls' ages 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15. Age as of Dec. 31. There is no charge to participate. For more information contact Jim or Dena Brady at 605-624-4893.
• VHS Volleyball, Saturday, Sept. 26 at 9 a.m., SE Area Classic at Tea.
• C Team Volleyball, Saturday, Sept. 26at 9 a.m. ay Dakota Valley.
• Burbank Historic School Fundraiser is Saturday, Sept. 26 at the Burbank School House. Car & Tractor Show & Shine at 4 p.m., BBQ Supper starts at 5 p.m. Miscellaneous and baked goods auction, raffle for a 32" LCD Flat Screen TV. Proceeds go toward Restoration of Historic Burbank School. Call Wayne Hawley 624-4088 or Joyce Hawley at 670-7836. Everyone welcome!
• USD Men's Football host Southeastern Louisiana University in the DakotaDome at 4:05 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 26.
• 2nd Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is Sunday, Sept. 27 at the DakotaDome. Please go to www.komensouthdakota.com for more information.
Next Weeks Happenings!
• Vermillion Ducks Unlimited will host its annual banquet on Sept. 30 at the Eagles Club. Social hour will be from 5:30-6:30 p.m. with dinner and auction to follow. Tickets are $25 and include a one-year membership and a meal, or $30 a couple which includes a one-year membership and two meals. Contact Kurt Kuiper at (605) 670-2112 or Jay Christopherson at (605) 670-9572 for tickets and for more information.
• USD Women's Volleyball host the University of Sioux Falls in the DakotaDome at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 30.
• USD Women's Soccer host the University of North Dakota at the DakotaDome soccer field on Friday, Oct. 2 at 4 p.m.
• The Eagles Club will host their annual "Eagles Child Health & Safety Carnival" (Child Advocacy Day) on Saturday, Oct. 3 from 1-3 p.m. at the Eagles Club at 114 W. Main St. This event is free and open to the public, specifically focused on children 12 years and under and their parents. The event will feature various educational booths including topics such as physical health and wellness, healthy snacks and nutrition, DARE, child seats, child protection, child identification, dental hygiene, vision health, hearing and speech programs, Birth-to-3 development information, hypothermia awareness, diabetes education and prevention, Imagination Library reading program, and others. In addition to the learning activities there will be games, crafts and activities, "Mickey the Clown", balloons, puppet making, food, tours of emergency vehicles, a miniature horse petting exhibit, raffle prizes, and treat bags for child participants. Free will donations will be accepted. Proceeds from the event will go to Clay County Emergency Services.
• USD Men's & Women's Swimming & Diving will host the Red/White Meet at the DakotaDome on Saturday, Oct. 3 at 1 p.m.
– Mark Your Calendars!
• USD Department of Music presents Byron Schenkman in a piano concert to the public at no charge on Monday, Oct. 5 at 8 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Shenkman is a graduate of the New England Conservatory.
• USD Women's Tennis host Buena Vista University at the tennis courts east of the DakotaDome on Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 4 p.m.
• Soup Supper and Bake Sale will be at the Pleasant Valley Lutheran Church at 45918 308th St., rural Vermillion on Wednesday, Oc.t 7 from 5- 7:30 p.m. Free-will donation.
• Pandemic Flu Planning Session will be Thursday, Oct. 8 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Sanford Vermillion Medical Center Board Room. Please join us for our third session in our series of community planning sessions for H1N1 influenza/pandemic flu. If you were unable to attend a previous session, you can still attend this third session or part of it. Please RSVP to Julie Girard at email@example.com or 605-638-8466.
• Native American Day Celebration is Thursday, Oct. 8 at the National Music Museum. Vermillion fifth grade students will demonstrate traditional flutes, drums, singing, story telling regalia and food. Sessions are 9:30-10:45 a.m. and 1- 2:15 p.m.
• CBS Anchor Katie Couric will speak at USD on Thursday, Oct. 8 when she is presented with the 2009 Al Neuharth Award for Excellence in the Media. The event, which is free and open to the public, will begin at 7 p.m at the DakotaDome. Doors will open at 6 p.m. No tickets are required for general seating. Free tickets for preferred seating may be requested until Oct. 1 by calling 605-677-6060 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The 90-minute program will be telecast live on SDPB Television.
• 95th Annual Dakota Days Parade is Saturday, Oct. 10 at 10 a.m. Watch the annual parade as it heads down Main Street Vermillion from the Courthouse to the Hospital and culminates at the corner of Plum and Clark streets.
• USD Men's Football host the University of California-Davis in the DakotaDome on Saturday, Oct. 10 at 2 p.m.
• USD Men's & Women's Golf host the Coyote Invitational at The Bluffs Golf Course on Saturday, Oct 10 and Sunday, Oct. 11.
• Chili Blues Chili Cook-Off is Saturday, Oct 10 from 6-9 p.m. at the Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. For more information go to www.vaac.org.
• USD Women's Volleyball host Morningside College in the DakotaDome on Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 7 p.m.
• Five Women Wearing the Same Dress will be performed by the University Theatre at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre, 414 E. Clark St., on Oct. 14-17 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 18 at 2 p.m. This is a hilarious and touching celebration of women's spirit. Strong language and mature themes. Admission: $10 Adults, $6 Youth (K-12), $4 USD Student. For reservations call 605-677-5400.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring 'The Autonomous Autoharpist' on Friday, Oct. 16 from 12:- 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.