Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company, 906 E Cherry St., Vermillion, SD 57069, 605-624-5571. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.vermillionchamber.com
Space is still available for Vermillion arts and crafts vendors at the Ribs, Rods & Rock'n Roll festival this Saturday, Sept. 12. The space is FREE! You will need to provide a table, chairs and tent. The free space does not include electricity. Please call Jody at 605-359-3154 to reserve your space.
Our new Web site has launched! This new and improved version of our Web site will offer Vermillion area visitors and potential customers better access to your goods and services. Check it out at www.vermillionchamber.com. We are also on Twitter! You can see updates on our Web site's homepage or follow us at http://twitter.com/vermillionsd.
This Weeks Happenings!
• VHS Boys Golf Invite, Friday, Sept. 11 @ 10 a.m. at home.
• VHS Football, Friday, Sept. 11 at 6 p.m., St. Thomas More at home.
• Ribs, Rods & Rock 'n Roll will take place Sept. 11 and 12 in downtown Vermillion. State Barbeque Championship, car show, music fest, poker run, street dance, rib fest and more! Volunteers are also still needed so if you or your group would like to help plan, coordinate or work the day of the event, they could use your help! Visit www.sdbbqchampionship.com for more information or call Jody at 605-359-3154.
• Seventh and eighth grade volleyball, Saturday, Sept. 12 at 9 a.m. at Elk Point.
• VHS Girls Tennis, Saturday, Sept. 12 at 9 a.m. at Brandon Valley.
• VHS Volleyball, Saturday, Sept. 12 at 9 a.m. at Luverne, MN.
• Fall Bazaar at Viborg Community Center, Viborg, on Saturday, Sept. 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Power Cooking Class at 10:30 a.m. with Pampered Chef. Cook dinner and have two meals in the freezer in about 30 minutes. Scentsy, Usbourne Books, Candles and Uppercase Living will all be there!
• The Stavig Letters at the Washington Street Arts Center is on Saturday, Sept. 12 at 7 p.m. A readers' theater of a collection of letters sent between brothers Lars and Knudt Stavig. One emigrated to South Dakota in 1876 and the other stayed in Norway. Pie and coffee will be served. Please call 605-624-9279 with questions.
• Pancake Sunday is Sept. 13 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Vermillion Senior Citizens Services Center, 320 W. Main St. Pancakes, sausages, juice and coffee will be served with a $4 requested donation. Sponsored by the Senior Center men and friends of the Center.
• Vermillion's Biggest Baby Shower is Sunday, Sept. 13 at 3 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library Community Room. If you have a baby one year or younger or are expecting a baby please be a part of our festivities. There will be food, games, a speaker and baby gifts. Questions call Sarah Armbrust at 624-4116. Sponsored by Faith Fellowship Church.
• Pie and Ice Cream Social at St. Paul's Episcopal Church on Sunday, Sept. 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. Free will offering.
Next Weeks Happenings!
• Calling kid actors! The Vermillion Community Theatre is teaming up with the Children's Theatre Company of SD to premiere an original children's play in Vermillion, 'The Bard of Ballyfiddle.' Parts are available for grades K-8 (but are limited) so call 624-5590 right away to reserve a place on stage. Rehearsals will be after school Sept. 11 – 18. The $30 fee includes a t-shirt. Premiere performances will be at Colton Hall at USD on Friday, Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 19 at 2 p.m. This play was written by Vermillion's own Steve Miller and is funded, in part, by the SD Arts Council.
• Seventh and eighth grade football, Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 4 p.m., Elk Point-Jefferson at home.
• Seventh and eighth grade volleyball, Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 4 p.m., at Lennox.
• Olde Fashioned Ice Cream Social is at the Care Center Courtyard, 125 Walker Street on Tuesday, Sept. 15 from 5 to 7 p.m. Taverns, chips, desserts, ice cream and root beer will be served. Fun and games for the kids including StarBurst the Clown, horse drawn wagon rides, mini train rides and Zoo Express with live animals! Sponsored by Dakota Hospital Foundation and Sanford Vermillion.
• The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission and the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the Second Annual Series of Historic Presentations starting on Sept. 16 with a presentation by noted architectural historian Dr. Julie Schlarman entitled, "Is it a Duck or a Decorated Shed, Understanding How We Read Buildings," at the Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m. The presentations are free and the public is welcome.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring the return of folk singer and song writer Dennis Warner 'Picking Up Where He Left Off,' on Thursday, Sept. 17 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m.
• The Vermillion Teen MOPS group meets at Faith Fellowship Church on Bypass Hwy 50 and Hwy 19 the third Thursday of each month beginning Sept. 17 from 6 to 8 p.m. If you have questions call Sarah at 624-4116. Attend your first meeting and receive a free package of diapers!
• USD Women's Volleyball host University of Texas-Pan American in the DakotaDome on Thursday, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m.
• Linda Chatterton: Guest Artist – Flute Recital/Masterclass will be presented to the public at no charge on Thursday, Sept. 17 at 7:30 p.m. in the Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts.
• USD Red Road Gathering will be at the Vermillion National Guard Armory on Thursday, Sept 17 and Friday, Sept. 18.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring Sparky and Rhonda Rucker 'American Songs & Stories' on Friday, Sept. 18 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m.
• Vermillion's City Wide Rummage Sale will be Friday and Saturday, Sept. 18 and 19.
• Seventh and eighth grade football, Saturday, Sept. 19 at 10 a.m., at Dakota Valley.
• USD Women's Volleyball host Houston Baptist University in the DakotaDome on Saturday, Sept. 19 at 10 a.m.
• Fun & Games is Saturday, Sept. 19 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Adults and youth, ages 12 and up will play board games and put together jigsaw puzzles. Free and open to the public.
• USD Men's Football host Drake University in the DakotaDome on Saturday, Sept. 19 at 4:05 p.m.
• One Book South Dakota Book Discussion is Sunday, Sept. 20 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Read and discuss Dan O'Brien's "Buffalo for the Broken Heart" with discussion facilitated by Jamie Sullivan of Mt. Marty College. Free and open to the public.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Fundraising Dinner for the Senior Citizen Services Center is Thursday, Sept. 24 at 5:30 p.m. at the Senior Citizen Services Center at 320 W. Main St. Sponsored by Trinity Lutheran Church and the Senior Center.
• Paula Damon Reading is Thursday, Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Paula Bosco Damon, an award-winning writer and Vermillion Plain Talk columnist will speak. Everyone welcome at no charge!
• USD Women's Volleyball host Seattle University in the DakotaDome at 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 25.
• Punt, Pass and Kick competition is Saturday, Sept. 26 at 8 a.m. in the DakotaDome. Divisions for boys ages 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15 and girls ages 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15. Age as of Dec. 31. There is no charge to participate. For more information contact Jim or Dena Brady at 605-624-4893.
• Burbank Historic School Fundraiser is Saturday, Sept. 26 at the Burbank School House. Car & Tractor Show & Shine at 4 p.m., BBQ supper starts at 5 p.m. Miscellaneous and baked goods auction, raffle for a 32" LCD flat screen TV. Proceeds go toward restoration of historic Burbank School. Call Wayne Hawley 624-4088 or Joyce Hawley at 670-7836.
• USD Men's Football host Southeastern Louisiana University in the DakotaDome at 4:05 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 26.
• Second Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is Sunday, Sept. 27 at the Dakota Dome. Please go to www.komensouthdakota.com for more information.
• USD Women's Volleyball host the University of Sioux Falls in the DakotaDome at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 30.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.