Vermillion Area Chamber
of Commerce &
906 E Cherry St., Vermillion, SD 57069
• Coyote Bash will take place on Monday, Aug. 31 this year from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in downtown Vermillion. As part of their orientation, new students will walk down from USD to downtown Vermillion for free food, games, and to meet area merchants. Please help us in welcoming these students to Vermillion. You can set up a booth, have giveaways, or participate in any other way you would like and have a presence there! Call Carly at 624-5571 with any questions you may have.
• Our new Web site has launched! This new and improved version of our Web site will offer Vermillion area visitors and potential customers better access to your goods and services. Check it out atwww.vermillionchamber.com. We are also on Twitter! You can see updates on our Web site's homepage or follow us at http://twitter.com/vermillionsd.
This Weeks Happenings!
• 16th Annual Bull-A-Rama is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Aug. 28, 29 & 30. There will be bulls, bull fighters, clowns, bull riders, hog roast, horse rides, dance with live music, and much more at the Clay County Park Rodeo Grounds! Advance tickets are available at Hy-Vee, Pump & Pak and Jones' Food Center.
• VHS Cross Country, Friday, Aug. 28 at 10 a.m. at Beresford.
• VHS Football, Friday, Aug. 28 at 7 p.m. at home.
• Theta Omega Chapter of ESA rummage sale at the 4-H Center on Saturday, Aug. 29 from 7 a.m. to noon. Part of the proceeds from the sale will go to the chapters support of the Susan G. Komen SD Race for the Cure in Vermillion on Sunday, Sept. 27.
• Come join Chonita and Diana from Guatemala at Sharing the Dream on Saturday, Aug. 29 from 1 to 3 p.m. for tortilla making demonstrations and from 3 to 5 p.m. for back strap weaving demonstrations.
• Eagles Catfish Tournament on the Missouri is Saturday, Aug., 29. Two-man team is $30. For more information and to sign up before Aug. 24 please call 605-624-9934 or stop at the Eagles at 114 W. Main St.
• Great Dakota Wine Fest is at Buffalo Run Resort/Valiant Vineyards Winery on Saturday, Aug. 29 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday, Aug. 30 from 12 to 5 p.m. Amateur Winemaker Contest, wine tasting, grape stomp, live music, food booths, cooking demonstrations and more!
• Vermillion Sesquicentennial Exhibit, located on the second floor of the University Libraries, will be on display through the month of August. Materials from the USD Archives and Special Collections will be featured.
Next Weeks Happenings!
• Pandemic Flu Planning Session will be held in the board room at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center from 9 a.m. to noon on Tuesday, Sept. 1. For more information or if you are interested in participating in this phase two meeting please call Julie Girard at 605-638-8466. We'd like any community partners there to help us discuss and review plans for this type of an event. Space is limited so please rsvp.
• 5KRun/Walk for Nikki's Fund, hosted by USD, Sanford Vermillion-Student Health Services and Community Suicide Prevention Partners in support of Nikki's Fund and to raise suicide awareness will be Saturday, Sept. 5 at 9 a.m. beginning at Prentis Park. Registration begins at 8 a.m. on site or you can register at allsportcentral.com.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• As part of Slow Food International and in partnership with Buy Fresh Buy Local – South Dakota, a community-wide pot luck will be Labor Day, Sept. 7 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. at the National Guard Armory. This Eat-In is one of hundreds taking place on the same date across the nation to promote healthy, real food in schools and draw attention to the Child Nutrition Act, up for reauthorization this year.
• Curbside Recycling starts Tuesday, Sept. 8. Please call 605-677-7159 if you have questions or visitwww.cityofvermillion.org.
• United Way Campaign Kick-Off Picnic will be Wednesday, Sept. 9 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Vermillion High School. This will be an "old-fashioned" picnic with a hog roast and all the trimmings kicking off the annual United Way Fund Drive. Tickets are available at the United Way Office, McDonalds, Nook 'N Cranny, Chamber Office, Sanford Vermillion Main Desk and any United Way Board Member. The cost is $5.
• Monarch Migration is Thursday, Sept. 10 at Spirit Mound, at 6:30 p.m. Monarch butterflies make an incredible journey to Mexico in the fall. Participants will learn about Monarch's migration pattern and help with the research project along the meandering trail to the summit of Spirit Mound, six miles north of Vermillion on Hwy 19. It's free and fun for the whole family! For more information go to www.sdparks.info or call 605-232-0873.
• Ribs, Rods & Rock 'n Roll will take place Sept. 11 and 12 in downtown Vermillion. State Barbeque Championship, car show, music fest, poker run, street dance, rib fest and more! Volunteers are also still needed so if you or your group would like to help plan, coordinate or work the day of the event, they could use your help! Visit www.sdbbqchampionship.com for more information or call Jody at 605-359-3154.
• The Stavig Letters at the Washington Street Arts Center is on Saturday, Sept. 12 at 7 p.m. A readers' theater of a collection of letters sent between brothers Lars and Knudt Stavig. One emigrated to South Dakota in 1876 and the other stayed in Norway. Pie and coffee will be served. Please call 605-624-9279 with questions.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring the return of folk singer and song writer Dennis Warner "Picking Up Where He Left Off" on Thursday, Sept. 17 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m.
• USD Red Road Gathering will be at the Vermillion National Guard Armory on Thursday, Sept 17 and Friday, Sept. 18.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring Sparky and Rhonda Rucker "American Songs & Stories" on Friday, Sept. 18 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m.
• Vermillion's City Wide Rummage Sale will be Friday and Saturday, Sept. 18 and 19.
• Fun & Games is Saturday, Sept. 19 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Adults and youth, ages 12 and up will play board games and put together jigsaw puzzles. Free and open to the public.
• One Book South Dakota Book Discussion is Sunday, Sept. 20 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Read and discuss Dan O'Brien's "Buffalo for the Broken Heart" with discussion facilitated by Jamie Sullivan of Mt. Marty College. Free and open to the public.
• Paula Damon Reading is Thursday, Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Paula Bosco Damon, an award-winning writer and Vermillion Plain Talk columnist will speak. Everyone welcome at no charge!
• Second Annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is Sunday, Sept. 27 at the DakotaDome. Please go towww.komensouthdakota.com for more information.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.