Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
This Weeks Happenings!
• October is Fair Trade Month. Sharing the Dream in Guatemala is an organization that promotes fair trade with cooperatives and small businesses in Guatemala. We are committed to providing fair wages and employment opportunities to low-income artisans, which will result in creating sustainable markets for their products. Our craft products are handmade by Mayan artisans using many traditional techniques. Purchasing these crafts not only provides work for these artisans, but the profits go to support community development projects in Guatemala. Please come visit us at 10 W. Main Street or check us out online at www.sharingthedream.org.
• VHS Volleyball, Friday, Oct. 23 at 5 p.m. at Dakota Valley.
• USD Women's Volleyball host Chicago State University in the DakotaDome at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 23.
• USD Symphony Orchestra Fall Concert is Friday, Oct. 23 at 7:30 p.m. in the Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
• VHS Cross Country, Saturday, Oct. 24, State Meet at Huron.
• USD Women's Volleyball host New Jersey Institute of Technology in the DakotaDome at 12 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 25.
• Annual Pumpkin Carving Party sponsored by the Friends of the W.H. Over Museum will be Sunday, Oct. 25 at 2:30 p.m. at the museum. Pumpkin carving, trick or treating, Scarecrow contest, soup and pie supper and live entertainment. Free will offering for the meal. Costume wearing is encouraged.
• USD Fall Choral Showcase is Sunday, Oct. 25 at 3 p.m. at Vermillion's Trinity Lutheran Church, 816 East Clark St. USD presents the USD Chamber Singers, Concert Choir, and Men's and Women's Chorus in a fall concert. Open to the public at no charge.
Next Week's Happenings!
• The Rawlins Piano Trio in Concert in the Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts is Tuesday, Oct. 27 at 8 p.m. The Trio is performing its first concert of the new academic year. Open to the public at no charge.
• USD Women's Volleyball host Utah Valley University in the DakotaDome on Thursday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring "South Dakota Old Time Fiddlers: Musical Heritage of the Great Plains" on Friday, Oct. 30 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• USD Women's Swimming/Diving host Iowa State University in the DakotaDome on Friday, Oct. 30 at 6 p.m.
– Mark Your Calendars!
• USD Opera Presents "The Princess and the Pea" from 4 to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 4 in the Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. This 50-minute, fast-paced opera is written with children K-6 in mind, but appealing to children of all ages. Open to the public at no charge.
• USD Women's Swimming/Diving host the University of Northern Iowa at the DakotaDome on Friday, Nov. 6 at 6 p.m.
• USD Football host Southern Utah University at the DakotaDome on Saturday, Nov. 7 at 4:05 p.m.
• USD Women's Volleyball host Drake University at the DakotaDome on Monday, Nov. 9 at 6 p.m.
• USD Jazz Ensembles present their fall concert to the public at no charge on Tuesday, Nov. 10 at 7:30 p.m. in the Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts.
• Veteran's Day Program at W.H. Over Museum on Wednesday, Nov. 11 to honor those who have served in the armed forces. Time TBA.
• Holiday Open House is Thursday, Nov.12 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the former VCDC office at 906 East Cherry St. Get unique holiday gifts! Ten vendors including Uppercase Living, Arm Candy Purses, Pampered Chef, Jewelry, Mary Kay and more! Door prizes, refreshments and FUN! Admission is FREE or bring a non-perishable food item. Everyone welcome.
• USD One-Act Plays performed and directed by USD Theatre students are Nov. 12 – 15 at 7:30 p.m. in the Arena Theatre in the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Admission fee $10 adults, $6 youth (K-12), $4 USD student. For more information please visit www.usd.edu/cfa/Theatre/ticketinfo.cfm.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring "Accende Lumen Sensibus" ensemble on Friday, Nov. 13 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Preservation Wednesdays. The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission and the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the Second Annual Series of Historic Presentations. A presentation by Karin Woltjer entitled "Historic Landscapes" will be at 7 p.m. at the Public Library on Wednesday, Nov. 18. The presentations are free and the public is welcome.
• Historics & Flicks, "A Gravestone Made of Wheat" at the Vermillion Public Library is Thursday, Nov. 19 from 6 to 9 p.m. Join us for the movie and discussion of the short story facilitated by Paige Keck, educator. Free and open to the public.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring "Boxwood and Brass" on Friday, Nov. 20 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Fun & Games at the Vermillion Public Library is Saturday, Nov. 21 from 1 to 4 p.m. Play board games and put jigsaw puzzles together! Adults and youth ages 12 and up are welcome. Free and open to the public.
• Sesquicentennial Heritage Harvest Ball is Saturday, Nov. 21 at the Muenster University Center Ballroom. Social hour starts at 6 p.m. followed by dinner at 7 p.m. Live entertainment by the "Dave Olson Quintet" for your dancing and listening pleasure. $15 per person (seating is limited). Reserved tickets are available at Nook 'n Cranny. It took 150 years to present this party!
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Jeremy Hoeck email@example.com VERMILLION — It took about 25 minutes, but eventually order was restored and the USD men’s … Read Article