Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce &
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office has relocated to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market Street in Suite 103. Please stop by and see us at our new location. Look for us under the water tower!
Our new Web site has launched! This new and improved version of our Web site will offer Vermillion area visitors and potential customers better access to your goods and services. Check it out at www.vermillionchamber.com. We are also on Twitter! You can see updates on our Web site's homepage or follow us at http://twitter.com/vermillionsd.
This Weeks Happenings!
• USD Department of Art Alumni Exhibition. The USD Alumni present their work to the public in the Main Gallery of the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts through Oct. 16 with a reception on Oct. 9 from 7 to 9 p.m. The Main Gallery is open to the public at no charge between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays and from 1 to 5 p.m. on weekends (closed holidays).
• VHS Football, Friday, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m., Harrisburg at home.
• Ninety-fifth Annual Dakota Days Parade is Saturday, Oct. 10 at 10 a.m. Watch the annual parade as it heads down Main Street Vermillion from the courthouse to the hospital and culminates at the corner of Plum and Clark Streets.
• USD Men's Football host the University of California-Davis in the DakotaDome on Saturday, Oct. 10 at 2 p.m.
• Nineteenth Annual Chili Blues Chili Cook-Off is Saturday, Oct 10, from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. Spicy, mild, vegetarian, and Texas-style, the Chili Blues cooks will have a chili to suit all visitors along with a variety of cornbreads and desserts. Pop, beer and wine will be available for an additional price. Musical guests T. Wilson King and The Derringers will entertain throughout the evening. $15 adults, $5 youth ages 11-18, free for children ages 10 and under. Bring your ticket stub from the USD homecoming game and get $3 off the ticket price. For more information go to www.vaac.org.
• USD Men's & Women's Golf host the Coyote Invitational at The Bluffs Golf Course on Saturday, Oct. 10 and Sunday, Oct. 11.
• VHS Fall Play, Saturday, Oct. 10 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 11 at 2:30 p.m.
Next Weeks Happenings!
• Seventh- and eighth-grade volleyball, Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 4 p.m. at Canton.
• USD Women's Volleyball host Morningside College in the DakotaDome on Tuesday, Oct. 13 at 7 p.m.
• Pancake Days, sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club, is Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 14 and 15 at the National Guard Armory next to Lions Park. Serving 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. All-you-can-eat pancakes with all the extras. Tickets: Advance -$4.00, at the door -$5.00, kids under 8 eat FREE!
• "Five Women Wearing the Same Dress" will be performed by the University Theatre at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre, 414 E Clark St., on Oct. 14-17 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 18 at 2 p.m. This is a hilarious and touching celebration of women's spirit. Strong language and mature themes. Admission: $10 Adults, $6 Youth (K-12), $4 USD Student. For reservations call 605-677-5400.
• Silver Threads Health & Product Fair is Thursday, Oct. 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Senior Citizen Center. Many local businesses and organizations are participating. Door prizes, flu shots, lunch and bake sale. Mini-seminars "WNAX Radio and the Elderlaw Forum" by Mike Myers at 11 a.m. and "Where My Assets Are" by Craig Thompson at 12:30 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Seventh- and eighth-grade volleyball, Thursday, Oct 15 at 4:15 p.m. at Yankton.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring "The Autonomous Autoharpist" on Friday, Oct 16 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Fun & Games at the Vermillion Public Library on Saturday, Oct. 17, time TBA. Play board games and put jigsaw puzzles together! Adults and youth ages 12 and up are welcome.
• St. Agnes Parish Fall Festival is Sunday, Oct. 18 at St. Agnes Catholic School, Lewis & Walker Streets. Roast turkey dinner served from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Raffle begins at 1:30 p.m. Silent auction, grand raffle, youth group car raffle for 1983 Chevy half-ton white pickup, country store, bingo and many fun kids games! $7 adults and $4 for kids 10 and under. The $1 raffle tickets can be purchased from any youth group member or at Bob's Service or Sturdevant's Auto Supply. Need not be present to win.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
Preservation Wednesdays. The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission and the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the second Annual Series of Historic Presentations. A presentation by Jim Wilson entitled "Historic Preservation as a Green Strategy" will be at 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library on Wednesday, Oct. 21. The presentations are free and the public is welcome.
Historics & Flicks at the Vermillion Public Library on Thurs., Oct. 22, time TBA. Join us for the movie showing of "Girl With a Pearl Earring" and discussion. The discussion will be facilitated by Dr. Julie Schlarman, USD art history professor.
Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring "South Dakota Old Time Fiddlers: Musical Heritage of the Great Plains" on Friday, Oct. 30 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.