Vermillion Area Chamber of
Commerce & Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
• Volunteers are needed to help with the 2009 Midwest Youth Basketball Championships held at the Dome Dec. 4-5 and Dec. 11-12. Times are 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Friday and 8 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday for both weekends.Volunteers will be working the ticket counter and t-shirt sales in two hour increments giving you the opportunity to help a little or a lot. This event brings in hundreds of basketball players and their parents to Vermillion over the weekend, so please help us welcome them. The Chamber will set up a visitor table to provide information on area businesses as well. If you would like to volunteer, contact Nancy at the VCDC offices by calling 624-5571 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• First Annual Parade of Lights "Christmas Past & Present" in downtown Vermillion at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 4. Please join us for this inaugural event. At the end of the parade join Santa & Mrs. Claus as they light the community Christmas tree. Following the tree lighting, children can enjoy storytelling and crafts at the Vermillion Public Library. If you are interested in entering a vehicle/float, please contact the Chamber or fill out the entry form that is located on our Web site: www.vermillionchamber.com
• Pre-Legislative Tour – David Owen from the SD Chamber will be stopping in Vermillion on Monday, Dec. 14 from 12 to 1 p.m. on his Pre-Legislative Tour. The VCDC will offer lunch to those who come to the session, which will be free for Chamber members and $5 for non-members. Those attending are being asked to RSVP by noon on Friday, Dec. 11.
• Ribbon Cutting/Open House for the Prairie Inn on Monday, Dec. 14th at 3 p.m.
• Pictures with Santa – Bring your children to Hy-Vee on Saturday, Dec. 19 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for pictures with Santa! Complimentary photos by Peterman Photography in conjunction with Hy-Vee.
• The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office has relocated to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market Street in Suite 103. Please stop by and see us at our new location. Look for us under the water tower!
This Weeks Happenings!
• Curbside Recycling Announcement – since Nov. 2, alley pickup for curbside recycling has been moved due to winter weather. If you currently recycle in an alley, please place your recycling curbside until further notice. To avoid recycling bins being damaged by snow plows, please put recycling bins next to the sidewalk near the driveway in a visible and accessible location free from ice & snow.
• Curbside Recycling Holiday Schedule
If your curbside recycling collection falls on a holiday, please place your recycling out the Monday prior to the holiday:
Nov. 26, Thanksgiving Recycling will be collected Nov. 23.
Dec. 25, Christmas Recycling will be collected Dec. 21.
Jan. 1, New Year's Day Recycling will be collected on Dec. 28.
• Harvest Festival – SD Cooperative Extension Service Open House 5 to 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 30 at Clay County 4-H Center. Free soup supper from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Prizes/Booths/Games!
Next Week's Happenings!
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Girls Basketball vs. West Central, Tuesday, Dec. 1 at 4 p.m.
• Downtown Holiday Tree Contest – Downtown merchants and the City of Vermillion will have decorated trees in their businesses which people are encouraged to visit and vote for their favorite tree. One voter's name will be drawn and the winner will receive a basket of goodies from the Downtown merchants. Voting to take place between Dec. 2 and 5. The winner will be announced on Monday, Dec. 7. Participating merchants include Nook 'n Cranny, First Dakota National Bank, Heart and Soul Fitness, Chae's, Raziel's, Silk Road Café, Willson Florist, Lumo Studios, and the City of Vermillion. This is being organized by the Downtown Vermillion Action Committee.
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Girls Basketball vs. Elk Point, Thursday, Dec. 3 at 4 p.m.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring the South Dakota Brass Quintet on Friday, Dec. 4 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Girls Basketball, Friday, Dec. 4 & Saturday, Dec. 5 at Dakota Dome (TBA).
• Christmas Tour of Homes on Dec. 4 from 6 to 9 p.m. or Dec. 5 from 1 to 4 p.m. in Vermillion. Sesquicentennial event sponsored by the Clay County Historical Society. Contacts: Cleo Erickson and Gloria Barnes.
• Peter Pan play by USD Theatre on Dec. 4, 5, 7, and 8 at 7:30 p.m., Dec. 6 at 2 p.m. at Wayne S. Knutson Theatre in Vermillion. Admission Fee: $12 Adults, $8 Youth K-12, & $5 USD Student with ID. One of the world's most celebrated musicals to be enjoyed by the whole family. Reservations: 605-677-5400.
• Christmas Festival is scheduled for Sunday, December 6, 1 to 4:30 p.m. at the W.H. Over Museum.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring Banner Era Gibsons: The Story of the Extraordinary Flattop Guitars of 1942-1945 and the Women Who Built Them on Friday, Dec. 11 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• The 32nd Annual Celebration of the St. Lucia Tradition in Dalesburg will be held Sunday, Dec. 13 at 4 p.m. at Dalesburg Lutheran Church. The event is sponsored by the Dalesburg Scandinavian Association.
• Preservation Wednesdays – The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission & the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the second Annual Series of Historic Presentations. A presentation by Phyllis Packard entitled "Wool, Spinning Yarns" will be at 7 p.m. at the Public Library on Wednesday, Dec. 16. The presentations are free and open to the public.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.