Vermillion Area Chamber of
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
• Volunteers are needed to help with the 2009 Midwest Youth Basketball Championships held at the Dome Dec. 4-5 and Dec. 11-12. Times are 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Friday and 8 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday for both weekends. Volunteers will be working the ticket counter and t-shirt sales in two-hour increments giving you the opportunity to help a little or a lot. This event brings in hundreds of basketball players and their parents to Vermillion over the weekend, so please help us welcome them. The Chamber will set up a visitor table to provide information on area businesses as well. If you would like to volunteer, contact Nancy at the VCDC offices by calling 624-5571 or emailing email@example.com.
• Ribbon Cutting for the Cherry Street Construction Project on Nov. 20 at 11 a.m. on Cherry Street in front of Hy-Vee. Hy-Vee will also be grilling food for those in attendance, which is sponsored by the VCDC Ambassadors. Please join us.
• First Annual Parade of Lights in downtown Vermillion at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 4. If you are interested in entering a vehicle/float, please contact the Chamber or fill out the entry form that is located on our Web site: www.vermillionchamber.com
• The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office has relocated to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market Street in Suite 103. Please stop by and see us at our new location. Look for us under the water tower!
• Curbside Recycling Announcement: Starting on Nov. 2, alley pickup for curbside recycling has been moved due to winter weather. If you currently recycle in an alley, please place your recycling curbside until further notice. To avoid recycling bins being damaged by snow plows, please put recycling bins next to the sidewalk near the driveway in a visible & accessible location free from ice & snow.
Curbside Recycling Holiday Schedule
If your curbside recycling collection falls on a holiday, please place your recycling out the Monday prior to the holiday:
Nov. 26, Thanksgiving Recycling will be collected Nov. 23.
Dec. 25, Christmas Recycling will be collected Dec. 21.
Jan. 1, New Year's Day Recycling will be collected on Dec. 28.
• State "A" Volleyball Nov. 19-21 at Watertown.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring 'Boxwood and Brass' on Friday, Nov. 20 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Vermillion Middle & High School Show Choirs present Fall Show, Nov. 20 & 21 at 7 p.m., VHS Auditorium. Tickets are $5/adult, $3/students and are available at the VHS choir room or at the door.
• Vermillion High School Oral Interp: Cougar Classic Interp Contest on Saturday, Nov. 21 at USF, TBA.
• Seventh & Eighth Grade Girl's Basketball vs. Dakota Valley, Saturday, Nov. 21 at 9 a.m.
• Fun & Games at the Vermillion Public Library is Saturday, Nov. 21 from 1 to 4 p.m. Play board games and put jigsaw puzzles together! Adults and youth ages 12 and up are welcome. Free and open to the public.
• Sesquicentennial Heritage Harvest Ball is Saturday, Nov. 21 at the Muenster University Center Ballroom. Social hour starts at 6 p.m. followed by dinner at 7 p.m. Live entertainment by the "Dave Olson Quintet" for your dancing and listening pleasure. $15 per person (seating is limited). Reserved tickets are available at Nook 'n Cranny. It took 150 years to present this party!
• Fifth Grade Concert on Monday, Nov. 23 at Vermillion High School at 7 p.m.
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Girls Basketball host Dakota Valley Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 4 p.m.
• USD Men's Basketball at Marquette University on Tuesday, Nov. 24 at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI at 7 p.m.
• USD Women's Basketball host Iowa Wesleyan at DakotaDome on Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 7 p.m.
• USD Symphonic Band presents their Fall Concert on Tuesday, Nov. 24 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Vermillion High School. Open to the public at no charge.
• Public School Early Dismissal for Thanksgiving Break on Wednesday, Nov. 25 at 2 p.m.
• Harvest Festival—SD Cooperative Extension Service Open House 5 to 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 30 at Clay County 4-H Center. Free soup supper from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. Prizes/Booths/Games!
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring the South Dakota Brass Quintet on Dec. 4 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Christmas Tour of Homes on Dec. 4 from 6 to 9 p.m. or Dec. 5 from 1 to 4 p.m. in Vermillion. Sesquicentennial event sponsored by the Clay County Historical Society. Contacts: Cleo Erickson and Gloria Barnes.
• Peter Pan play by USD Theatre on Dec. 4, 5, 7, & 8 at 7:30 p.m., Dec. 6 at 2 p.m. at Wayne S. Knutson Theatre in Vermillion. Admission Fee: $12 Adults, $8 Youth K-12, & $5 USD Student with ID. One of the world's most celebrated musicals to be enjoyed by the whole family. Reservations: 605-677-5400.
• Christmas Festival is scheduled for Dec. 6, 1 to 4:30 p.m. at the W.H. Over Museum.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring Banner Era Gibsons: The Story of the Extraordinary Flattop Guitars of 1942-1945 and the Women Who Built Them on Friday, Dec. 11 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• The 32nd Annual Celebration of the St. Lucia Tradition in Dalesburg will be held Sunday, Dec. 13 at 4 p.m. at Dalesburg Lutheran Church. The event is sponsored by the Dalesburg Scandinavian Association.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D.—South Dakota junior guard Raeshel Contreras hit a 3-pointer with 1.1 seconds left to send the Coyotes past … Read Article