Vermillion Area Chamber &
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
• First Annual Parade of Lights in downtown Vermillion at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 4. If you are interested in entering a vehicle/float, please contact the Chamber or fill out the entry form that is located on our Web site: www.vermillionchamber.com
• Ribbon Cutting for the Cherry Street Construction Project on Nov. 20 at 11 a.m. on Cherry Street in front of Hy-Vee. Please join us.
• Volunteers are needed to help with the 2009 Midwest Youth Basketball Championships held at the Dome Dec. 4-5 and Dec. 11-12. Times are 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Friday and 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday for both weekends. Volunteers will be working the ticket counter and t-shirt sales in two-hour increments giving you the opportunity to help a little or a lot. This event brings in hundreds of basketball players and their parents to Vermillion over the weekend, so please help us welcome them. The Chamber will set up a visitor table to provide information on area businesses as well. If you would like to volunteer, contact Nancy at the VCDC offices by calling 624-5571 or emailing email@example.com.
• The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office has relocated to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market Street in Suite 103. Please stop by and see us at our new location. Look for us under the water tower!
This Weeks Happenings!
• Curbside Recycling Announcement: Starting Nov. 2, alley pickup for curbside recycling will be moved due to winter weather. If you currently recycle in an alley, please place your recycling curbside until further notice. To avoid recycling bins being damaged by snow plows, please put recycling bins next to the sidewalk near the driveway in a visible and accessible location free from ice and snow.
If your curbside recycling collection falls on a holiday, please place your recycling out the Monday prior to the holiday:
Nov. 11, Veterans Day Recycling will be collected Nov. 9.
Nov. 26, Thanksgiving Recycling will be collected Nov. 23.
Dec. 25, Christmas Recycling will be collected Dec. 21.
Jan. 1, New Year's Day Recycling will be collected on Dec. 28.
• State Football Playoffs at the DakotaDome, Thursday, Nov. 12-14.
• Vermillion High School Oral Interp & Debate: Aberdeen Central Golden Eagle Cup on Friday, Nov. 13 at Aberdeen—TBA.
• USD One-Act Plays performed and directed by USD Theatre students are Nov. 12-15 at 7:30 p.m. in the Arena Theatre in the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Admission fee $10 adults, $6 youth (K-12), $4 USD student. For more information please visit www.usd.edu/cfa/Theatre/ticketinfo.cfm.
• Vermillion High School Debate: Aberdeen Central Golden Eagle Cup on Saturday, Nov. 14 at Aberdeen—TBA.
• Seventh & Eighth Grade Girl's Basketball vs. Beresford, Tuesday, Nov. 17, at 4 p.m. at Beresford.
• Preservation Wednesdays. The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission and the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the Second Annual Series of Historic Presentations. A presentation by Karin Woltjer entitled "Historic Landscapes" will be at 7 p.m. at the Public Library on Wednesday, Nov. 18. The presentations are free and the public is welcome.
• State "A" Volleyball Nov. 19-21 at Watertown.
• Historics & Flicks, "A Gravestone Made of Wheat" at the Vermillion Public Library is Thursday, Nov. 19 from 6 to 9 p.m. Join us for the movie and discussion of the short story facilitated by Paige Keck, educator. Free and open to the public.
• Fun & Finance Women's Night Out hosted by First Dakota National Bank on Thursday, Nov. 19 from 6:15 to 9:30 p.m. This free event includes home tours, speaker, games, prizes with wine and hors d'oeuvres at The Bluffs clubhouse. Call with your RSVP before Nov. 13 at 624-5555. Limited room available.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring "Boxwood and Brass" on Friday, Nov. 20 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Vermillion Middle & High School Show Choirs present Fall Show, Nov. 20 & 21 at 7 p.m., VHS Auditorium. Tickets are $5/adult, $3/students and are available at the VHS choir room or at the door.
• Seventh & Eighth Grade Girls' Basketball vs. Dakota Valley, Saturday, Nov. 21 at 9 a.m. (away).
• Fun & Games at the Vermillion Public Library is Saturday, Nov. 21 from 1 to 4 p.m. Play board games and put jigsaw puzzles together! Adults and youth ages 12 and up are welcome. Free and open to the public.
• Sesquicentennial Heritage Harvest Ball is Saturday, Nov. 21 at the Muenster University Center Ballroom. Social hour starts at 6 p.m. followed by dinner at 7 p.m. Live entertainment by the "Dave Olson Quintet" for your dancing and listening pleasure. $15 per person (seating is limited). Reserved tickets are available at Nook 'n Cranny. It took 150 years to present this party!
• Fifth Grade Concert on Monday, Nov. 23 at Vermillion High School at 7 p.m.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Girls Basketball host Dakota Valley Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 4 p.m.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring the South Dakota Brass Quintet on Dec. 4 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
• Christmas Tour of Homes on Dec. 4 from 6 to 9 p.m. or Dec. 5 from 1 to 4 p.m. in Vermillion. Sesquicentennial event sponsored by the Clay County Historical Society. Contacts: Cleo Erickson and Gloria Barnes.
• Peter Pan play by USD Theatre on Dec. 4, 5, 7, & 8 at 7:30 p.m., Dec. 6 at 2 p.m. at Wayne S. Knutson Theatre in Vermillion. Admission Fee: $12 Adults, $8 Youth K-12, & $5 USD Student with ID. One of the world's most celebrated musicals to be enjoyed by the whole family. Reservations: 605-677-5400.
• Christmas Festival is scheduled for Dec. 6, 1 to 4:30 p.m. at the W.H. Over Museum.
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum featuring Banner Era Gibsons: The Story of the Extraordinary Flattop Guitars of 1942-1945 and the Women Who Built Them on Friday, Dec. 11 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. Free and open to the public.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.