Vermillion Area Chamber
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Thank you to everyone who helped make the Tree Lighting and First Annual Parade of Lights event on Dec. 4 a great success! A special thank you to the City of Vermillion Streets and Light/Power departments, Dan Mart, Mick Breske, Randy Hammer, Vermillion Police Department, Vermillion Fire Department, the Vermillion Public Library, and all of our parade participants!
There will be a Ribbon Cutting for Alltel, Your Wireless Store, on Friday, Dec. 11 at 11a.m. Alltel is located at 916 E Cherry Street next to the old Chamber Office. We hope you can join us!
Volunteers are needed to help with the 2009 Midwest Youth Basketball Championships held at the Dome Dec. 11-12. Times are 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Friday and 8 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday. Volunteers will be working the ticket counter and t-shirt sales in two-hour increments giving you the opportunity to help a little or a lot. This event brings in hundreds of basketball players and their parents to Vermillion over the weekend, so please help us welcome them. The Chamber will set up a visitor table to provide information on area businesses as well. If you would like to volunteer, contact Nancy at the VCDC offices by calling 624-5571 or emailing email@example.com.
Pre-Legislative Tour—David Owen from the SD Chamber will be stopping at the Vermillion Chamber & Development Company on Monday, Dec. 14 from 12 to 1 p.m. on his Pre-Legislative Tour. The VCDC will offer lunch to those who come to the session, which will be free for Chamber members and $5 for non-members. Luncheon will be held in the VCDC Conference Room. Those attending are being asked to RSVP by noon on Friday, Dec. 11.
Ribbon Cutting/Open House for the Prairie Inn on Monday, Dec. 14 at 3 p.m.
Pictures with Santa – Bring your children to Hy-Vee on Saturday, Dec. 19 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for pictures with Santa! Complimentary photos by Peterman Photography in conjunction with Hy-Vee.
The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office has relocated to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market Street in Suite 103. Please stop by and see us at our new location. Look for us under the water tower!
This Weeks Happenings!
Curbside Recycling Announcement – Alley pickup for curbside recycling has been moved due to winter weather. If you currently recycle in an alley, please place your recycling curbside until further notice. To avoid recycling bins being damaged by snow plows, please put recycling bins next to the sidewalk near the driveway in a visible and accessible location free from ice and snow.
Curbside Recycling Holiday Schedule
If your curbside recycling collection falls on a holiday, please place your recycling out the Monday prior to the holiday:
Dec. 25, Christmas Recycling will be collected Dec. 21.
Jan. 1, New Year's Day Recycling will be collected on Dec. 28.
• The Lewis & Clark Theatre Company presents "A Christmas Carol", Dec. 11-13 at the Dakota Theatre in downtown Yankton at 7 p.m., Dec. 11, 12 and 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 13.
• VHS Boy's Basketball/ Girl's Basketball vs. Harrisburg Friday, Dec. 11 at 4 p.m.
• VHS Bowling vs. Sioux Falls Washington at Eastway Bowl on Friday, Dec. 11. (TBA)
• Heartland Humane Society will be hosting a holiday open house and Chamber ribbon-cutting event on Friday, Dec. 11 at 10 a.m. at 601 ? Burleigh in Yankton. Come enjoy holiday refreshments, say hello to the shelter kitties and help us celebrate our new facility.
• USD Men's Basketball at Drake University Tournament, Friday, Dec. 11 in Des Moines, IA at 7 p.m. and Binghamton University on Sunday, Dec. 13 at 11 a.m.
• USD Opera presents the seasonal favorite "Amahl & The Night Visitors", Friday, Dec. 11 at 7:30 p.m. at USD Colton Recital Hall. Tickets are $10; $5 for USD students with ID.
• ACT Test Saturday, Dec. 12 at VHS at 8 a.m.
• VHS Wrestling vs. Yankton, Saturday, Dec. 12 at 11 a.m. (T)
• VHS Gymnastics, Saturday, Dec. 12 at 12 p.m. at Wagner.
• The "Sweets & Treats" or "Cookie Walk" sponsored by the Clay County Historical Society will take place Saturday, Dec. 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Austin-Whittemore House. Cookies and sweets will be sold at $5/dozen. Coffee and punch along with samples of cookies will be served in the living room. Everyone is welcome.
• Vermillion Area Arts Council invites you to Celebrate the Holidays with Art, Saturday, Dec. 12, from 6 to 9 p.m. in Washington Street Arts Center's beautifully restored gallery, 202 Washington Street, Vermillion. Enjoy the work of 17 artists, including John Banasiak, Nancy Losacker and Sharon Gray. Sway to the music of saxophone and piano jazz artists C.J. Kocher and Brad Richardson. Get into the holiday mood with a Horn Choir and a String Quartet featuring University of South Dakota music students. Refreshments will be served. The event is free and open to the public.
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Boys' Basketball, Saturday, Dec. 12 at Dakota Dome Tournament.
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Girl's Basketball vs. Harrisburg Saturday, Dec. 12 at 10:30 a.m.
• The Clay County Historical Preservation Commission presents the next in the series of Saturday workshops on Picture Framing, Saturday, Dec. 12 at 10 a.m. hosted by John Erikson at 1001 East Lewis Street.
• "Christmas for Kids" event at the Chan Gurney Airport in Yankton on Saturday, Dec. 12 at 2 to 4 p.m.
• "Nativities Around The World" at the Cramer Kenyon Home, 509 Pine St., Yankton, Dec. 12-13 and Dec. 19-20 from 1 to 4 p.m. Admission: $5.?
Next Week's Happenings!
• The 32nd Annual Celebration of the St. Lucia Tradition in Dalesburg will be held Sunday, Dec. 13 at 4 p.m. at Dalesburg Lutheran Church. The event is sponsored by the Dalesburg Scandinavian Association.
• USD Women's Basketball, Sunday, Dec. 13 at University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA at 3:05 p.m.
• Dakota Hospital Foundation Tree of Lights Holiday Celebration! USD Dept. of Music Holiday Concert Sunday, Dec. 13 from 3 to 5 p.m. at Vermillion High School Performing Arts Theatre (a $5 donation is suggested for concert attendees) and Tree of Lights Open House & Tree Lighting from 5 to 7 p.m. with official tree lighting at 6 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Main Lobby, 20 S. Plum St. Enjoy refreshments, hors d'oeuvres and holiday music. Proceeds from Tree of Lights project will assist in covering the cost of mammography services for the uninsured and underserved population in this service area.
• Sixth Grade Concert, Monday, Dec. 14 at Vermillion High School, 7 p.m.
• Preservation Wednesdays The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission & the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the second Annual Series of Historic Presentations. A presentation by Phyllis Packard entitled "Wool, Spinning Yarns" will be at 7 p.m. at the public library on Wednesday, Dec. 16. The presentations are free and open to the public.
• First Dakota National Bank invites you to their Holiday Open House on Thursday, Dec. 17 at 111 Court Street. Cookies and cider will be served all day, as well as oyster stew and chili from 2:30 to 5 p.m. For those that come and join us in person we will have a special CD offer just for that day, as a gift from us to you!
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Girls' Basketball vs. Lennox, Thursday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m.
• Vermillion Senior Citizen's Christmas Dinner and Music, Friday, Dec. 18 beginning at 5:15 p.m. with hors d'oeurves, dinner at 5:45 p.m. and dessert and entertainment at 6:30 p.m. Advance tickets $12 or $15 at the door.
• USD Winter Commencement, Saturday, Dec. 19 at 10 a.m. at the DakotaDome.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
• USD Women's Basketball host Mt. Marty College, Sunday, Dec. 20 at 1 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
• USD Men's Basketball vs. University of Wyoming, Sunday, Dec. 20 in Laramie, WY at 6:30 p.m.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Jan. 18, 2010. Registration has begun for the 2010 MLK Day of Service. Volunteers, groups, or individuals as well as site leaders to help facilitate the projects are needed. Pre-register at http://sites.google.com/site/mlkday2010/ to volunteer & email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being a site leader or have a project idea. For information, call 605-677-6338.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.