Heartland Humane Society wishes everyone a happy and safe holiday season. While it may be tempting to give animals as gifts, HHS recommends other options that are better suited:
• Give a gift certificate for an adoption so the recipient can pick an animal that fits their lifestyle and that they are able to bond with.
• Take the recipient with you to pick out the animal and then offer to pay the adoption fee as your gift to them.
• Make a donation or membership to their favorite animal shelter in their name and send a card announcing their gift. HHS offers memberships for individuals $25, families $40 and businesses $100. A membership is a great gift for the animal lover on your list!
• Remember, too, that the holidays can be a happy, but stressful time of year. Keep your pets safe during the holidays.
• Keep holiday ornaments and electrical cords out of pets' reach.
• Invest in a covered tree stand to protect pets from harmful fertilizers and chemicals used to keep real trees looking beautiful.
• Maintain your pets' diet during the holidays and don't overindulge them with holiday treats.
• With visitors and traveling, make sure your animal is in a safe area of your home and wearing identification tags in case it slips out the door and becomes lost.
• Keep pets from holiday plants such as poinsettias that may be harmful if ingested.
If you would like to make a donation or purchase a membership to Heartland Humane Society, or just need help with a gift for the animal lover on your list, contact Tasha Anderson at 605-664-4244 or email email@example.com.
Heartland Humane Society is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that serves Yankton and Clay counties in South Dakota and Cedar County in Nebraska and surrounding communities, protecting and enhancing the lives of companion animals by promoting healthy relationships between pets and people. Visit Heartland Humane Society online at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net.