Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office has relocated to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market Street in Suite 103. Please stop by and see us at our new location. Look for us under the water tower!
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Public Service Announcement Recently revised labor law posters are available at no charge from the SD Dept. of Labor or from any DOL field office. To locate nearest DOL field office or to download the required postings at no charge online, visit www.sdjobs.org. Businesses should beware of companies soliciting unsuspecting individuals and attempting to sell compliance posters. They often use scare tactics about potential fines and penalties.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
This Weeks Happenings!
• High School Girl's Basketball vs Canton Friday, Jan. 29 at 4:30 p.m.(T)
• Lecture: Arts Advocacy in Higher Education and in the Public Schools Friday, Jan. 29 at Farber Hall with Dr. Andrew Svedlow, dean of the College of Performing & Visual Arts from the University of Northern Colorado. Open to public at no charge at 7 p.m.
• USD Track & Field vs. Univ. of Wisconsin Friday, Jan. 29 at Madison, WI – all day. (T)
• Saturday Workshop: Restoring Double-hung Windows presented by the Clay County Historical Preservation Commission Jan. 30 at 10 a.m. and hosted by Roger Jeck at 320 West National Street. Shane Fry will demonstrate how to properly dismantle a double-hung window, repair the sash, and reassemble the window with weatherstripping. He has restored all the windows in his own house and understands that traditionally constructed windows are worth the minimal maintenance they require. This is an important workshop – it speaks to the heart of the preservationist's mission.
• USD Track vs. University of Wisconsin-Madison Saturday, Jan. 30 –all day. (T)
• USD Swimming and Diving Saturday, Jan. 30 at UNI in Grand Forks, ND at 1 p.m. (T)
• USD Women's Basketball vs. Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, TX Saturday, Jan. 30 at 2:15 p.m. (T)
• USD Men's Basketball vs. Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, TX Saturday, Jan. 30 at 4:30 p.m. (T)
• Vermillion Eagle Anniversary Party Saturday, Jan. 30 with dinner and program from 6 to 9 p.m. Music by Poker Alice. Open to the public
Next Weeks Happenings!
• Clay County ACS Relay for Life, Sunday, Jan. 31 from noon to 6 p.m. at the Dakota Dome. Sponsored by the Clay County ACS and the USD Campus Against Cancer organization. For more information, contact Wess Pravecek at 624-5352.
• USD Joint Recital with USD's Dr. Tracelyn Gesteland and guest pianist Amanda Johnston performing Mon., Feb. 1 in Colton Recital Hall, Vermillion at 7:30 p.m.
• Seventh/Eighth Grade Boy's Basketball vs. Elk Point/Jefferson Monday, Feb. 1 at 4 p.m. (T)
• Masterclass: Guest Artist Amanda Johnston, collaborative pianist Tuesday, Feb. 2 at Colton Recital Hall at 11 to11:50 a.m. Open to the public at no charge.
• Lecture by Fred Hagstrom – Visiting Artist in Printmaking, Tuesday, Feb. 2, 3, 4, 5 from 2 to 3 p.m. at USD Fine Arts Building.
• USD Faculty Music Recital with Susanne Skyrm in Concert Tuesday, Feb. 2 at Colton Recital Hall at 7:30 p.m. Open to the public at no charge.
• February Film Festival at Vermillion Public Library Wednesday, Feb. 3 in the Community Room at 6:30 p.m. The feature film Glory will be shown. Hot drinks and popcorn provided. Free and open to the public.
• Public Interest Network Auction/Open Mic Night Thursday, Feb. 4 at Eagles from 7 to 10 p.m. One of the biggest annual events at USD Law celebrating the public interest community and raising money to fund student public interest grants.
• Hospital Auxiliary Meetings held first Friday of every month at Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker Street at 2 p.m. February meeting to be held Friday, Feb. 5.
• USD Men's Basketball at SIU-Edwardsville in Edwardsville, IL, Friday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. (T)
• USD Track & Field-John Dalton Invite Saturday, Feb. 6 at DakotaDome – all day (H).
• Gamelan workshop for Tatag (USD Gamelan Ensemble) with Joko Sutrisno, music director, Indonesian Performing Arts Association of Minnesota on Saturday, Feb. 6 at National Music Museum, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Open to the public.
• USD Women's Basketball vs. Seattle University, Saturday, Feb. 6 in Seattle, WA at 4 p.m. (T)
• Sanford Vermillion Medical Center Community Health & Wellness Fair in collaboration with USD Health Professions program students on Saturday, Feb. 6 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lee Medicine Building, corner of Dakota and Clark streets. Screenings/vendor booths, information displays and much, much more. Drawing to win a Wii Station and Wii Fit program. Healthy Cooking Demo at 11 a.m. Win 10-piece cookware set.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
• USD Symphonic Band & Percussion Ensembles in concert Thursday, Feb. 11 at Vermillion High School at 7:30 p.m.
• Cedar River second Annual Valentine Round Dance Contest 2010 Saturday, Feb, 13, 1 p.m. registration, 5 p.m. meal at Vermillion National Guard Armory, 603 Princeton St. Call 605-638-6302 for more information. $4 cover charge. Proceeds will go in part for urban teen H.I.V. prevention and education.
• Preservation Wednesdays – The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission and the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the second Annual Series of Historic Presentations. A presentation by Tom Reasoner entitled "Additions to Historic Buildings, Threat or Menace?"will be Feb. 17 at 7 p.m. Meeting place has been changed to the Conference Room at the Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company located at 116 Market Street.
• Heartland Humane Society Offers Humane Education for local schools, civic and professional groups. Topics include function of the humane society in the community, proper animal care, choosing the right pet for your family's lifestyle, and the importance of spaying and neutering to prevent pet overpopulation. A program can be tailored to meet group needs. To schedule a representative, contact Tasha Anderson at 605-664-4244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do, please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.