Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company office has relocated to the Market Street Professional Building at 116 Market Street in Suite 103. Please stop by and see us at our new location. Look for us under the water tower!
This Weeks Happenings!
• Vermillion Public Schools Early Dismissal, Friday, Jan. 15 at12:30 p.m. for Teacher In-Service.
• High School Boy's Basketball vs. Lennox Friday, Jan. 15 at 4:45 p.m. (T).
• Chamber Night with the Musketeers Friday and Saturday, Jan. 15 and 16. The Sioux City Musketeers will recognize all Siouxland area Chambers & their communities that are at the game on Jan. 15 and16.
For more information or to purchase your tickets contact Rhonda Johnson at 712-251-1587.
• USD Women's/Men's Indoor Track & Field Friday and Saturday, Jan. 15 and 16 at the Holiday Inn Invite in Lincoln, NE (all day) (T).
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at the National Music Museum on The Living Roots of Music featuring Lauren Pelon from Red Wing, MN on Friday, Jan. 15 from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m. The story of music and musical instruments from diverse cultural heritages will be explored through Pelon's singing and virtuosic playing on more than 25 ancient and modern instruments.
• High School Wrestling: Harrisburg Invitational, Saturday, Jan. 16 at 10 a.m. (T).
• High School Show Choir Saturday, Jan. 16 at Lincoln, NE – all day (T).
• USD Women's/Men's Swimming & Diving against SDSU and St. Louis University, Saturday, Jan. 16 in Brookings, from 1 to 4 p.m. (T)
• USD Women's Basketball vs. University of North Dakota Saturday, Jan. 16 in DakotaDome at 6 p.m.
• USD Men's Basketball vs. University of North Dakota Saturday, Jan. 16t in DakotaDome at 8 p.m.
Next Weeks Happenings!
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Monday, Jan. 18. Registration has begun for the 2010 MLK Day of Service. Volunteers, groups, or individuals as well as site leaders to help facilitate the projects are needed. Pre-register at http://sites.google.com/site/mlkday2010/ to volunteer and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being a site leader or have a project idea. For information, call 605-677-6338.
• Vermillion Area Arts Council (VAAC) hosts Art for Peace Exhibit and a Bargain Basement Sale Monday, Jan. 18 at the Washington Street Arts Center to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. Students from USD's Center for Academic Engagement will assist VAAC volunteers with both events. The Art for Peace Exhibit in the Gallery from 1 to 6 p.m. will feature works by artists of all ages. Visual artists are invited to display original works addressing the life of Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights issues, social issues, or peace in any art form. All work must be hand-delivered to Washington Street Arts Center on Friday, Jan. 15 from 4 to 6 p.m. or between 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 16 or Sunday, Jan. 17. Refreshments will be served and the exhibit is free and open to the public.
• The Bargain Basement Sale will be from 3 to 6 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 18. Donated items for the sale can be brought to the Arts Center basement on Friday, Jan. 15 from 4 to 6 p.m.; Saturday, Jan. 16 from 1 to 5 p.m.; or Monday, Jan. 18 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. For more information or to volunteer, contact the VAAC, email@example.com, or 605-675-9053.
• USD Women's Basketball at SIU-Edwardsville in Edwardsville, IL Monday, Jan. 18 at 2 p.m. (T)
• Film: Meeting David Wilson: A Conversation about Race in America at USD Freedom Forum Conference Room in the Al Neuharth Center, Tuesday, Jan. 19 at 6 p.m.
• Preservation Wednesdays – The Clay County Historic Preservation Commission and the Clay County Historical Society are presenting the second annual series of historic presentations. A presentation by Will Schweinle entitled "Vintage Tools" will be at 7 p.m. at the Public Library on Wednesday, Jan. 20. The presentations are free and open to the public.
• Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Program Welcome Reception Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 6 p.m. followed by keynote speaker: David A. Wilson at 7 p.m. in Muenster University Center Grand Ballroom.
• Book Blab at the Vermillion Public Library will be held in the Community Room on Thursday, Jan. 21 from 6 to 8 p.m. Adult readers will share favorite authors and books and discover some new ones with other book lovers. Drinks and snacks will be provided.
• USD Women's Basketball vs. Utah Valley Wednesday, Jan. 21 in Orem, UT at 5:30 p.m. (T)
• USD Men's Basketball vs. Utah Valley Wednesday, Jan. 21 in Orem UT at 8:05 p.m. (T)
• USD Chamber Singers under the direction of Dr. David Holdhusen will be performing for the Convention of the SD Chapter of the American Choral Directors Association, Friday, Jan. 22 at 7:30 p.m. Public is invited to this event at the First Lutheran Church, corner of 12th & Minnesota, Sioux Falls.
• USD Track & Field Alumni Meet Saturday, Jan. 23 at DakotaDome – all day.
• USD Women's Tennis Saturday, Jan. 23 at University of Seattle & Air Force Academy – all day (T).
• USD Men's Swimming/Diving Saturday, Jan. 23 at Morningside College, Sioux City, IA at 1 p.m. (T)
• USD Women's Swimming/Diving at University of Kansas/Northern Iowa Saturday, Jan. 23 at Lawrence, KS at 3 p.m. (T)
• USD Women's Basketball vs. University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, ND Saturday, Jan. 23 at 5 p.m. (T)
• USD Men's Basketball vs. University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, ND Saturday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. (T)
• Fun & Games at the Vermillion Public Library will be held in the Community Room on Saturday, Jan. 23 from 1 to 4 p.m. Adults and youth ages 12 and up will play board games and put jigsaw puzzles together. Drinks and snacks will be provided.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Clay County ACS Relay for Life , Sunday, Jan. 31 from noon to 6 p.m. at the DakotaDome. Sponsored by the Clay County ACS and the USD Campus Against Cancer organization. For more information, contact Wess Pravecek @ 624-5352.
The city of Vermillion is starting a Citizens Academy for all Vermillion residents over the age of 18. The Citizens Academy is a free, hands-on, interactive public information program that allows citizens an insight into city services and the functions of city departments.
The purpose of the Citizens Academy is to familiarize citizens in the community with the city of Vermillion's government. The program will include the function of city departments, explain the relationship between the city council, planning commission and city administration, allow an overview of the budgetary process and it will provide an outlet for citizen input.
All participants interested in the Citizens Academy are encouraged to attend all of the sessions in order to get the most from the program. All sessions, unless otherwise noted, start at 5 p.m. and will meet at City Hall on Feb. 16, Feb. 23, March 2, March 16, March 23, and March 29. During the course, several sessions will meet away from City Hall at different department sites.
The Citizens Academy is a hands-on experience that will allow Vermillion residents to get a behind the scenes look of how your city government operates. The class will graduate with a certificate in "Governmentology" and a key to the city at the end of the last session. If you or someone you know is interested in this program, please contact Evie Johnson, public relations and education coordinator at 605-677-7159 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do, please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.