116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Cracker Barrel Session will be held Saturday, March 6,10 a.m. to noon at the Vermillion Fire Hall Station conference room. Sponsorers include VCDC, VFW Auxiliary, Delta Kappa Gamma, Clay County Democrats & Clay County Republicans.
Business After Hours at Raziels on Tuesday, March 9 from 5 to 7 p.m.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
VCDC Committees: Are you interested in becoming more active with the VCDC and in the Community? Join one of our new committees! We currently have two new committees that we are searching for great volunteers. These committees are the Special Events Committee and the Legislative Affairs Committee. If you love event planning, the Special Events Committee is for you! This committee will work to plan and promote special events that the VCDC hosts such as the Annual Fourth of July Celebration, the Annual Golf Social, and the Annual Banquet. Are you interested in the legislative issues that affect Clay County and local businesses? The Legislative Affairs Committee will work to stay up to date on such issues and keep the VCDC membership informed. If you are interested in either of these committees or would like more information, please contact Carly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings!
Press Release: Vermillion Police Caution Drivers About Pedestrian Crosswalks: By law, an operator of a vehicle is required to yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing a highway within any clearly marked crosswalk. According to Art Mabry, Vermillion Police Chief, "although this is a dangerous situation at any crosswalk, the crosswalk on Cherry Street at the intersection of Norbeck St. is especially dangerous and is the focus of many complaints." The crosswalk is heavily used by pedestrians with physical disabilities that tend to increase the amount of time they need to cross Cherry St. which was recently widened. Any observed violations will be strictly enforced. The Department will also follow up on complaints from pedestrians who witness violations. Contact Art Mabry, 677-7070
• High School Boy's Basketball vs Canton Friday, Feb. 26 at 4:30 p.m.
• High School State "A" Wrestling Friday, Feb. 26 and Saturday, Feb. 27 in Rapid City.
• A Chorus Line—a heartfelt salute to the Broadway gypsy with music & lyrics by Marvin Hamlisch & Edward Kleban playing Feb. 26, 27, March 1, 2 at 7:30 p.m. and Feb. 28 at 2 p.m. at the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre, USD. Admission: $12 adults; $8 youth (K-12); $5 USD students with ID. Call 677-5400 for reservations.
• USD Track & Field-Great West Conference Saturday, Feb. 27 at DakotaDome. All day.
• USD Women's Tennis Northern Illinois University and University of Northern Iowa Saturday, Feb. 27 all day.
• USD Women's/Men's Basketball vs. Chicago State Saturday, Feb. 27 in Chicago, IL at 2 and 4:30 p.m.
• Schedule: Vermillion Show Choir Invitational, Saturday, Feb. 27 at Vermillion High School Auditorium:
Sioux City East, Impulse – 9 a.m.; SF O'Gorman, Knightlights – 9:30 a.m.; SF Washington, Stagelights – 10 a.m.; Aberdeen Central, Special Request ¬– 10:30 a.m.; Sioux City East, New Sound – 11 a.m.; Ruthven-Ayrshire, Raider Rhythm – 11:30 a.m.; Lunch Break; ?Elk Point Jefferson, SshhaaBAM – 1 p.m.; SF Roosevelt, Executive Suite – 1:30 p.m.; Sioux City East, Headliners – 2 p.m. Aberdeen Central, Eagle Express – 2:30 p.m.; SF O'Gorman, Ovation; 3 p.m.;?SF Washington, Classic Connection – 3:30 p.m.; Vermillion MS, Music In Motion – 4 p.m.; Paradise Fears – 4:15 p.m. (in Gym); Announce Finals – 4:40 p.m. (in Gym) Dinner Break; Finalist #1 – 6:30 p.m.; Finalist #2 – 7 p.m.; Finalist #3 – 7:30 p.m.; Finalist #4 – 8 p.m.; Finalist #5 – 8:30 p.m.; Rhythm in Red – 9 p.m.; Announce Awards – 9:25 p.m. $8/wristband (kindergarten & up), all day entrance.
Next Weeks Happenings!
• USD Women's Tennis at Western Illinois University Sunday, Feb. 28 in Sioux City, IA; all day.
• Music Recital: Truran Guest Pianist Assaff Weisman who has performed in some of the major venues in Europe, the Middle East and the Americas will perform Sunday, Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall.
• Public School Early Dismissal Monday, March 1 at 2 p.m. Parent/Teacher Conferences 2:30 to 8 p.m.
• USD Brass Choir & Bon Voyage Jazz Ensembles Concert Wednesday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall. Open to the public at no charge.
• SDHSAA Region I Instrumental Concert Wednesday, March 3 at Vermillion High School (TBA).
• High School Boy's Basketball District 8A Thursday, March 4 at 6 p.m. (TBA)
• USD Women's Basketball vs. Texas-Pan American Thursday, March 4 at 6 p.m. in DakotaDome.
• USD Symphony Orchestra in Concert Thursday, March 4 at 7:30 p.m. in Wayne S. Knutson Theatre. Open to the public at no charge.
• USD Men's Basketball vs. Texas-Pan-American Thursday, March 4 at 8 p.m. in DakotaDome.
• Hospital Auxiliary Meeting Friday, March 5 at Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St., at 2 p.m.
• Middle School All-State Band Friday, March 5 and Saturday, March 6 in Pierre.
• High School Debate and IE Friday, March 5 and Saturday, March 6 in Watertown.
• USD Women's Basketball vs. Houston Baptist Saturday, March 6 at 6 p.m. in DakotaDome.
• High School Boy's Basketball District 8A Championship Saturday, March 6 at 7 p.m. (TBA)
• USD Men's Basketball vs Houston Baptist Saturday, March 6 at 8 p.m. in DakotaDome.
• Music Recital: Junior percussion recital by Carl Collison Saturday, March 6 at 8 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall. Open to public at no charge.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Spring Break for USD and Vermillion Public Schools, March 8-12.
• Junior Northern Wheelchair Basketball Conference Tournament March 13, 9 to 6 p.m. and March 14, 9 to 3 p.m. at Vermillion High School. Ten teams will be competing.
• Vermillion Middle School Spring Picture Day March 25.
Compiled by Nancy Nelson.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.