Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Ribbon Cutting and Grand Opening for PrairieSun Organics on Monday, March 29 from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Ribbon cutting at 4 p.m. at their new location at 108B E. Main Street. Following the open house there will be a presentation by Jerry DeWitt, PhD from ISU, from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library on local food systems and economic impacts seen across Iowa.
Post-legislative wrap-up visit with David Owen in conjunction with Rotary Tuesday, April 6 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Al Neuharth Center on USD's campus. Open to the public. Meal is $6.50
Ribbon Cutting for Alexis A. Tracy, attorney at law, Thursday, April 8 at 3 p.m. at 18 E. Main Street, Suite A.
Jack Schultz Presentation Thursday, April 8 at 7 p.m. in Farber Hall. Topic: Boomtown USA: The 7 ? Keys to Big Success in Small Towns. Jack Schultz is a premier authority in economic development and is recognized for his ongoing research and vast knowledge of rural America. The event is part of the VCDC's partnership with the Beacom School of Business and the 3 Rivers Incubator Program.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
VCDC Committees: Are you interested in becoming more active with the VCDC and in the community? Join one of our new committees! We currently have two new committees that we are searching for great volunteers. These committees are the Special Events Committee and the Legislative Affairs Committee. If you love event planning, the Special Events Committee is for you! This committee will work to plan and promote special events that the VCDC hosts such as the Annual Fourth of July Celebration, the Annual Golf Social, and the Annual Banquet. Are you interested in the legislative issues that affect Clay County and local businesses? The Legislative Affairs Committee will work to stay up to date on such issues and keep the VCDC membership informed. If you are interested in either of these committees or would like more information, please contact Carly at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings:
• Boy Gets Girl March 24-27 at 7:30 p.m., and March 28 at 2 p.m. at USD Arena Theatre. Reservations: 605-677-5400.
• Chilly – Chili – Chile at the W.H. Over Museum, Friday, March 26. All chili chefs are invited to enter their favorite pot of chili. Come and sample the different versions of chili and vote for your favorite. All ages welcome. A free will offering will be accepted. To enter contest, contact the museum at 605-677-5228 or stop by and register your best recipe. Bring enough to serve 10-15 people. Supper will be served at 5:30 p.m. Program featuring Dave Swanson, USD biologist, begins at 7 p.m. on the Birds of Chile.
• Gayville Hall – A Celebration of Hank Williams in Gayville, Saturday, March 27 at 8 p.m. starring John and Susan McNeill, Owen DeJong, and Nick Schwebach. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
• First Annual Mutt March in Vermillion hosted by Heartland Humane Society on Saturday, March 27 from 10 a.m. to noon at Cotton Park in Vermillion. The community is invited to walk with or without your dog or with one of the adoptable dogs. Registration begins at 9 a.m. Donations to the shelter will be accepted – all proceeds go toward the care of the shelter pets. For complete details, call 605-664-4244.
• Fifth Annual Lewis & Clark Home Builders Association 2010 Home Show will be held Saturday, March 27 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, March 28 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Kiwanis 4-H Ice Center, 709 Whiting Drive in Yankton. Admission: $3/person, children 12 and under free.
• Favorite Tools Workshop presented by The Clay County Historical Preservation Commission Saturday, March 27 at 10 a.m. Hosted by John Erikson at 1001 East Lewis Street. Bring a tool that you have something to say about, or would like to demonstrate. Do you have one that you've modified, or one that belonged to your great-grandfather? Have you devised a clever way to organize fasteners on a job-site? Why is there a bar of soap in my tool bag? Do you have a mysterious old tool that none of us will recognize or understand? What is your most powerful tool?
Next Weeks Happenings:
• Annual Sub-Sandwich Fundraiser hosted by St.Agnes Youth Group on Palm Sunday, March 28. They will be making 180-foot-long sub that will sell for $6/ft. from 9 a.m. to noon.
• USD's Opera Theatre presents Puccini's comic opera Gianni Schicchi, Monday, March 29 and Tuesday, March 30 at 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall.
• USD Symphonic Band presents its spring concert to the public at no charge, Wednesday, March 31 at 7:30 p.m. in Wayne S. Knutson Theatre.
• Easter Egg Hunt Thursday, April 1, 5 p.m. at Sanford Care Center Courtyard (enter from the south on Jane St.) Age groups: 1 to 3 year olds and 4 to 6 year olds – two special prizes per age group. Egg hunt will be held outside – rain, snow or shine. Remember your basket!
• Good Friday – no school for Vermillion School District or USD, Friday, April 2.
• Hospital Auxiliary Meeting Friday, April 2 at 2 p.m. at the Care Center dining room at 125 Walker St.
• Gayville Hall – A Celebration of Chet Olsen Saturday, April 3 at 8 p.m. starring Tom Schaefer, Owen DeJong, Nick Schwebach, Larry Rohrer and guests. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
• Second Annual Lassos & Legends hosted by the SD Cooperative Extension Service, Saturday, April 10 beginning at 4 p.m. Meal at 5 p.m. followed by program featuring Dayton Hyde, rancher, author and photographer. A youth (ages 8-18) public speaking contest is part of the event with contest starting at 2 p.m. at Clay County 4-H Center in Vermillion. To register for either the Lassos & Legends event or youth public speaking contest, call Will Kennedy at 677-7111 or e-mail: Todd.Kennedy@sdstate.edu.
• Lion's Club Pancake Feed April 14 and 15 at National Guard Armory from 5 to 7 p.m., Wedesday, April 14, 7 to 8:30 a.m., 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 15. Free will offering.
• Famous Dave's Dave Anderson coming to Vermillion, Thursday, April 29. (TBA)
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.