Ribbon Cutting and Grand Opening for PrairieSun Organics on Monday, March 29 from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Ribbon cutting at 4 p.m. at their new location at 108B E. Main Street. Following the open house there will be a presentation by Jerry DeWitt, PhD from ISU, from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library on local food systems and economic impacts seen across Iowa.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
VCDC Committees: Are you interested in becoming more active with the VCDC and in the Community? Join one of our new committees! We currently have two new committees that we are searching for great volunteers. These committees are the Special Events Committee and the Legislative Affairs Committee. If you love event planning, the Special Events Committee is for you! This committee will work to plan and promote special events that the VCDC hosts such as the Annual 4th of July Celebration, the Annual Golf Social, and the Annual Banquet. Are you interested in the legislative issues that affect Clay County and local businesses? The Legislative Affairs Committee will work to stay up to date on such issues and keep the VCDC membership informed. If you are interested in either of these committees or would like more information, please contact Carly at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings!
• High School Boy's State "A" Basketball in Sioux Falls Thursday, March 18 – Saturday, March 20 (TBA).
• National Music Museum Brown Bag Lunch Program Music for Sweet and Cross Flutes, featuring Susanne Skyrm (USD) and Judy Walker (Sioux City), playing music for harpsichord, fortepiano, flute, and recorder at noon on Friday, March 19 in the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at National Music Museum
• USD Chamber Orchestra in Concert Friday, March 19 at 8 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall.
• Benefit for Paul Dold Friday, March 19 at the Eagle's Club in Vermillion. Dinner 5 to 8 p.m.; silent auction 5 to 9:30 p.m.; live pie auction 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Dance from 8 p.m. to midnight with Clay Creek Deaf Cowboy Band. Dinner, dance and auction – $10; dinner only – $6; dance or auction – $5. Free will donations welcome. All proceeds support Paul's expenses and recovery.
• Yankton Children's Theatre Co. & Lewis & Clark Theatre Co. present Wonderland-The Musical Misadventures of Alice in Wonderland at Dakota Theatre, Yankton, March 19-20 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, March 21 at 2 p.m. For ticket information, call 665-4711 or 689-0401.
• Schmeckfest—A Festival of Tasting in Freeman, SD. March 19 and 20 and March 26 and 27. Advance sale meal tickets only: adults – $20; children 2-10 – $8. Serving time: 4 to 7 p.m. Demonstration and display activities open from 1 to 7 p.m. For more information, call 605-925-4542 or www.schmeckfest.com
• Fireman's Ball Saturday, March 20 at the Vermillion Eagle's Club. Music by Clay Creek.
• USD Women's Tennis Saturday, March 20 at Creighton University in Omaha, NE (all day).
• Free Tax Preparation by certified Law & Business Students Saturday, March 20. VITA will be filing simple tax returns for students and low income persons at the Vermillion Public Library from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Bring all necessary documents, (i.e., social security cards, all W2's, 1099s, interest statements, etc.)
• USD Music Recital Saturday, March 20 at 3 p.m. in Farber Hall. Presented by Rachel LaForge, Graduate Cello Recital. Free and open to the public.
• Music Concert Saturday, March 20 at 7:30 p.m. USD Chamber Singers perform in Vermillion's United Church of Christ sanctuary. Free and open to the public.
• Gayville Hall – A Waltz Across Texas in Gayville, SD, Saturay, March 20 at 8 p.m. starring John and Susan McNeill, Owen DeJong, and Nick Schwebach. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
• High School Show Choir Classic at Mitchell, Saturday, March 20 (TBA).
Next Weeks Happenings:
• Spring Picture Day at Vermillion High School, Monday, March 22.
• Ethical Leadership for the 21st Century sponsored by The Arthur A. Volk Accounting Symposium & Beacom Opportunity Fund Tuesday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. in Wayne S. Knutson Theatre. Speaker – Cynthia Cooper,named Time Magazine's Person of the Year for exposing massive fraud at WorldCom.
• Boy Gets Girl March 24-27 at 7:30 p.m., and March 28 at 2 p.m. USD Arena Theatre. Reservations: 605-677-5400.
• Kindergarten Round-up Parent Meeting Thursday, March 25 at 7 p.m. in kindergarten room at St. Agnes School. Incoming kindergarteners meet Friday, March 26 1 to 3 p.m. in kindergarten room at St. Agnes School. Call 624-4144 to sign up for Round-up.
• Vermillion Middle School Spring Picture Day Thursday, March 25.
• Vermillion High School After-Prom Committee will host the ninth annual dinner and basket auction Thursday, March 25 at the Eagles with social hour from 6 to7 p.m. Meal prepared by Bliss's Bar-B-Q will be served at 7 p.m. Community invited. Auction of donated items from area businesses and community members starting at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 each and may be purchased from: Nook 'n Cranny, Davis Pharmacy & Jones' Food Center. For more information or if you are interested in donating items, please contact Damian & Jeanne Donahoe at 624-5173.
• Chilly – Chili – Chile at the W.H. Over Museum, Friday, March 26. All chili chefs are invited to enter their favorite pot of chili. Come and sample the different versions of chili and vote for your favorite. All ages welcome. A free will offering will be accepted. To enter contest, contact the museum at 605-677-5228 or stop by and register your best recipe. Bring enough to serve 10-15 people. Supper will be served at 5:30 p.m. Program featuring Dave Swanson, USD biologist, begins at 7 p.m. on the Birds of Chile.
• Gayville Hall – A Celebration of Hank Williams in Gayville, SD, Saturday, March 27 at 8 p.m. starring John and Susan McNeill, Owen DeJong, and Nick Schwebach. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
• Tails & Trails Event in Vermillion hosted by Heartland Humane Society on Saturday, March 27 from 10 a.m. to noon at Cotton Park in Vermillion. The community is invited to walk with or without your dog or with one of the adoptable dogs. Registration begins at 9 a.m. Donations to the shelter will be accepted with all proceeds going toward the care of the shelter pets.
• Fifth Annual Lewis & Clark Home Builders Assn. 2010 Home Show will be held Saturday, March 27 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, March 28 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Kiwanis 4-H Ice Center, 709 Whiting Drive in Yankton. Admission: $3/person, children 12 & under free.
• Announcement–Vermillion School District launches new Web site – www.vermillion.k12.sd.us. The site improves the district's efforts to communicate & provide information to the community. Everyone is encouraged to check out the new site and register for immediate notices or schedule changes
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• USD's Opera Theatre presents Puccini's comic opera Gianni Schicchi, Monday, March 29 and Tuesday, March 30 at 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall.
• USD Symphonic Band presents its spring concert to the public at no charge, Wednesday, March 31 at 7:30 p.m. in Wayne S. Knutson Theatre.
• Good Friday – no school for Vermillion School District, Friday, April 2.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.