Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours hosted by SESDAC Tuesday, May 11 from 5 to 7 p.m.
Business After Hours hosted by USD at the Muenster University Center Tuesday, May 18 from 5 to 7 p.m. This event will give the community an opportunity to sample food from Aramark, view available meeting room and event rental space, and tour the new building.
Candidate Forum for all those running for City Council/Mayor will be held on Tuesday, May 25 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Neuharth Center on USD's campus.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
VCDC Committees: Are you interested in becoming more active with the VCDC and in the Community? Join one of our new committees! We currently have two new committees that we are searching for great volunteers. These committees are the Special Events Committee and the Legislative Affairs Committee. If you love event planning, the Special Events Committee is for you! This committee will work to plan and promote special events that the VCDC hosts such as the Annual 4th of July Celebration, the Annual Golf Social, and the Annual Banquet. Are you interested in the legislative issues that affect Clay County and local businesses? The Legislative Affairs Committee will work to stay up to date on such issues and keep the VCDC membership informed. If you are interested in either of these committees or would like more information, please contact Carly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings:
• Brown Bag Lunch Program at National Music Museum, Friday, April 30 at 12:05 p.m. Bring a brown bag lunch. The Kyai Rengga Manis Everist Gamelan featuring the Tatag Gamelan Ensemble (USD). Free and open to the public.
• DakotaDome Spring Youth Baseball Classic is April 30 – May 2 with over 18 teams competing (TBA).
• High School Boy's Tennis vs. Sioux Falls Roosevelt Friday, April 30 at 4 p.m. (H)
• High School Boy's/Girl's Track Howard Wood Relays Friday, April 30 in Sioux Falls at 4 p.m. and Saturday, May 1 at 8 a.m. (T).
• USD Symphony Orchestra & Choral Ensembles join for an evening of music Friday, April 30 at 7:30 p.m. in Wayne S. Knutson Theatre. Open to the public at no charge.
• High School Boy's Tennis Brookings Invitational Saturday, May 1 at 10 a.m. (T).
• Salad & Sandwich Luncheon fundraiser for Vermillion Senior Center sponsored by Friends of St. Agnes and members of Vermillion Senior Center on Saturday, May 1 at 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. Agnes Auditorium. Tickets – $6/person. Open to the public.
• USD Clarinet Recital by Dr. Holly Haddad, USD clarinet instructor on Saturday, May 1 at 2 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall. Open to the public at no charge.
• USD Women's Softball vs. UND Saturday, May 1 at Dakota Dome Softball Complex at 3 and 5 p.m.
• Kentucky Derby Fundraiser for Heartland Humane Society (HHS) Yankton Moose Lodge has teamed up with HHS for this event Saturday, May 1. Festivities begin at 4 p.m.; food served from 5:30 to 8 p.m. All tips and donations raised go toward care of the shelter animals. Open to the public including non-members.
Next Weeks Happenings:
• High School Junior Varsity Baseball vs. Corsica Sunday, May 2 at 2 p.m. (T)
• High School Varsity Baseball vs. Corsica Sunday, May 2nd at 4 p.m. (T)
• USD Art Students Graduation Exhibitions Friday, May 7 in Main Gallery (all day).
• Sanford School of Medicine 2010 Alumni Luncheon with the Dean Friday, May 7 at 11:30 a.m. at Sioux Falls Holiday Inn City Centre Embassy Rooms II & III to celebrate the Classes of 1960, 1985 and 2005 Reunions and 2010 Alumni Banquet at 7 p.m.
• Hospital Auxiliary Meeting Friday, May 7 at Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St. at 2 p.m.
• Law School Hooding Ceremony Friday, May 7 in the MUC Ballroom at 5:30 p.m. Reception will follow at the Armory Building.
• Sanford School of Medicine 2010 Graduation Convocation Friday, May 7 at 5:30 p.m. at Sioux Falls Holiday Inn City Centre International Rooms.
• Native Student Graduate Honoring Ceremony Friday, May 7 at 6 p.m. at the Neuharth Media Center.
• Senior Voice Recital with Jonathan Brown, tenor Friday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall. Open to the public at no charge.
• Vermillion Garden Club Plant Sale Saturday, May 8 at Vermillion 4-H Grounds at 9 a.m.
• USD Spring Commencement Saturday, May 8 at 9:30 a.m. in DakotaDome.
• Seventh/eighth grade track Saturday, May 8th at 9:30 a.m. at Yankton Relays (T)
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Eastern Star Salad Luncheon Monday, May 17 from 11:30 to 1:30 p.m. at Masonic Temple. Tickets $6. Public welcome.
• Seventh/eighth grade Spring Concert scheduled for May 13 has been moved to Thursday May, 20 at 7 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
• Third Annual Preservation Celebration Saturday, May 22 at the Austin Whittemore House, 15 Austin Street. Clay County Historic Preservation Commission will celebrate Historic Preservation & Archeology Month with three workshops followed by a box lunch with a keynote speaker and choice of two guided walking tours. Workshops: 8:30 a.m. – Moisture in Historic Buildings with Jim Wilson; 9:40 a.m. – Wood Windows: Repair & Rehabilitation with Shane Fry; 10:50 a.m. – Historic Masonry: Repair Demonstration with Doug Griffin. Noon – talk by Jay D. Vogt: SD State Historic Preservation Officer. Walking tour of downtown Vermillion or USD Campus at 1:30 p.m. Free and open to the public. Pre-registration appreciated; call 624-4579.
• Hospice Volunteer Training Thursday, May 27, 9 to 4 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital Cafeteria Meeting Room – free. Lunch provided. Pre-registration required – call Shannon Stroman at 624-2611 ext 485 or 1-888-845-4470 ext 84430; email: email@example.com.
• 2 Rivers Ride'10 begins Friday, May 28 with opening festivities at City Park in Gayville. Ride beings in Gayville Saturday, May 29 to Niobrara State Park returning to Gayville Sunday, May 30. Helmets required. Registration deadline May 19; fee $35 – after May 19, $45 (no refunds). To register, call Rob at 712-259-2684, Denise at 605-376-7762 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Portion of proceeds to benefit Niobrara State Park.
• The Annual H-Worth Open will be hosted at The Bluffs on Saturday, June 12. This four person scramble is in memory of Matt Hollingsworth for the benefit of Clay County EMS Dept. The registration price will include 18 holes of golf, BBQ by Nick Merrigan, and prizes. Call 677-7058 or stop by The Bluffs to pre-register and for details.
• Travel to Guatemala with Diane Nesselhuf June 17-27. The trip will center on fair trade and sustainability. If interested in the trip, contact Diane at email@example.com or call 356-3221.
• 2010 Nikki's Fund 5K Run/Walk – Sept. 11, at 9 a.m. in Prentis Park. This event is in honor of Nikki Harris, and all of those that have been affected by suicide/depression. Nikki's Fund was started by Nikki's mother, Janine Harris, who lost her daughter to suicide. Since then she has been on a mission to promote Suicide Prevention Awareness to USD, the Vermillion community, and other surrounding communities. The goal of Nikki's Fund is to raise money for students that cannot afford medicine while battling depression and other health issues, and promoting suicide prevention. Contact Janine Harris at 677-5424 or Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org. or go to allsportcentral.com to register.
• Girl Scouts on the Run 5K Walk and Run on Sept. 18, including a shorter children's run. This fund raiser event for Girl Scouts will start at 9 a.m. at Prentis Park at the south shelter. For more information, contact Mary Edelen, 624-4760.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.