Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Annual Fourth of July Celebration—Are you interested in participating in the Annual Fourth of July Celebration? We are currently seeking food vendors and children's activities for the event! If interested, please contact Carly at email@example.com.
Mark your calendars! The VCDC Annual Golf Social will be held on Tuesday, July 27 at The Bluffs. If you would like to register a team or be a hole sponsor, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 624-5571.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 too 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Join one of our new committees! We currently have two new committees that we are searching for great volunteers. These committees are the Special Events Committee and the Legislative Affairs Committee. If you love event planning, the Special Events Committee is for you! This committee will work to plan and promote special events that the VCDC hosts such as the Annual Fourth of July Celebration, the Annual Golf Social, and the Annual Banquet. Are you interested in the legislative issues that affect Clay County and local businesses? The Legislative Affairs Committee will work to stay up to date on such issues and keep the VCDC membership informed. If interested in either of these call 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings:
• 2 Rivers Ride'10 Friday, May 28 with opening festivities at City Park in Gayville. Ride begins in Gayville Saturday, May 29 to Niobrara State Park returning to Gayville Sunday, May 30. Helmets required. Registration deadline May 19; fee $35—after May 19, $45 (no refunds). To register, call Rob @ 712-259-2684, Denise @ 605-376-7762; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Portion of proceeds benefit Niobrara State Park.
• State A Boy's & Girl's Track Friday, May 28 at Lennox (all day).
• Last Day of School, Friday, May 28; early dismissal at 2 p.m.
• State A Boy's & Girl's Track Saturday, May 29 at Howard Wood Field, Sioux Falls (all day).
• R.A.C.E. 2010 – Sanford Vermillion Summer Strength & Conditioning Program for athletes and non-athletes, ages 13-18 years—to register, return application form and fees to Amy Richardson, Sanford Vermillion Sports Medicine, 20 S. Plum, 677-9766, or to the VHS Athletic Training Room by May 28. Eight-week session runs from June 7 – July 29 for $75 and "Sports Ready" Session runs from July 26 – Aug. 12 for $100. Sessions meet Monday – Thursday at VHS for approximately two hours per day.
• Prentis Park Pool Opens for the Season Saturday, May 29. Open swim from 1 to 4:50 p.m. and 6 to 8:45 p.m. daily. www.vermillionparksandrec.com/Prentis_Park_Pool
• Gayville Hall—"A Celebration of Johnny Cash" with John and Susan McNeill, Owen DeJong, and Nick Schwebach appearing in Gayville, Saturday, May 29 at 8 p.m. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
• South Dakota Kayak Challenge May 29 and 30. The first-ever South Dakota Kayak Challenge is a two day, marathon-endurance paddling race on the Missouri National Recreational River for canoeists, kayakers and any paddle-powered craft. Race begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 29 at Riverside Park in Yankton and ends 75 miles later at Bev's on the River in Sioux City by 8 p.m. Sunday, May 30. Racers will have four checkpoints on the route: #1 Myron Grove, #2 Mulberry Bend, #3 Bolton, #4 Rosenbaum. Volunteers are needed to help with the event. For more information please visit www.sdkayakchallenge.org or call 605-941-4940 or 605-864-9011.
Next Weeks Happenings:
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thursday, June 3, 3 to 7 p.m. on corner of Cherry & High streets.
• Hospital Auxiliary Meeting Friday, June 4 at 2 p.m. at the Care Center dining room at 125 Walker St.
• Fifth Annual Rhubarb Day sponsored by The Friends of the W.H. Over Museum, Saturday, June 5 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Recipe contest begins at 1 p.m. and tasting and judging ends at 2:15 p.m. in Sletwold Hall. Various activities will take place and prizes will be awarded (must be present to win). Everyone welcome to come and honor rhubarb and spring's long awaited arrival. Free admission; donations welcome. Come on over to the Over!
• Gayville Hall—"The Hay Country Jamboree" starring Dan Kilbride, Dalton Coffey, Brenda George and guests appearing in Gayville, Saturday, June 5 at 8 p.m. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Announcement: Heartland Humane Society has several cats and kittens available for adoption at the shelter at 601-1/2 Burleigh St., Yankton, 605-664-4244. They are in need of donations of scoopable or clumping cat litter for the cats and kittens now in their care.
• American Legion Auxiliary-Wallace Unit #1 meets Tuesday, June 8 at 7 p.m. at Senior Citizen Center in Vermillion.