Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Candidate Forum for all those running for City Council/Mayor will be held on Tuesday, May 25 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Neuharth Center on USD's campus.
Annual 4th of July Celebration – Are you interested in participating in the Annual 4th of July Celebration? We are currently seeking food vendors and children's activities for the event! If interested, please contact Carly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark your calendars! The VCDC Annual Golf Social will be held on Tuesday, July 27 at The Bluffs. Registration forms will be mailed shortly. If you would like to register a team or be a hole sponsor, please email us at email@example.com or give us a call at 624-5571.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Join one of our new committees! We currently have two new committees that we are searching for great volunteers. These committees are the Special Events Committee and the Legislative Affairs Committee. If you love event planning, the Special Events Committee is for you! This committee will work to plan and promote special events that the VCDC hosts such as the Annual 4th of July Celebration, the Annual Golf Social, and the Annual Banquet. Are you interested in the legislative issues that affect Clay County and local businesses? The Legislative Affairs Committee will work to stay up to date on such issues and keep the VCDC membership informed. If interested in either of these call 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings:
• Kayak and Canoe the Missouri River Saturday, May 22 at 9 a.m. Join tiver enthusiasts for an outing on the Missouri River Water Trail from Myron Grove (Highlines) to Mulberry Bend. Meet at 9 a.m. at Myron Grove boat ramp; shuttle service from the takeout back to Myron Grove provided by DJ's Sports Rentals of Yankton until 2 p.m. for $10/person payable at the event. Provide your own kayak/canoe, or rent in advance from DJ's (605-665-3206, www.djssportsrentals.com). Call Rick Johns of SD Canoe & Kayak Assn., 605-624-9704 or Dean Spader, 605-624-6831 for more information. No guide service provided and you must be able to navigate on your own. Visit www.mnrrwatertrail.org for event updates and more information about the water trail.
• Third Annual Preservation Celebration Saturday, May 22 at the Austin Whittemore House, 15 Austin St. Clay County Historic Preservation Commission will celebrate Historic Preservation & Archeology Month with three workshops followed by a box lunch with a keynote speaker and choice of two guided walking tours. Workshops: 8:30 a.m. – Moisture in Historic Buildings with Jim Wilson; 9:40 a.m. – Wood Windows: Repair & Rehabilitation with Shane Fry; 10:50 a.m. – Historic Masonry: Repair Demonstration with Doug Griffin. Noon – talk by Jay D. Vogt: SD State Historic Preservation Officer. Walking tour of downtown Vermillion or USD Campus at 1:30 p.m. Free and open to the public. Pre-registration appreciated – call 624-4579.
• Gayville Hall – "An Evening of Old-Time Country Gospel" with John & Susan McNeill and guests appearing in Gayville, Saturday, May 22 at 8 p.m. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
Next Weeks Happenings:
• Hospice Volunteer Training Thursday, May 27, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital Cafeteria Meeting Room – free. Lunch provided. Pre-registration required – call Shannon Stroman at 624-2611 ext 485 or 1-888-845-4470 ext 84430; email: email@example.com.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thursday, May 27, 3 to 7 p.m. on corner of Cherry & High St.
• Symbiosis – A Community Arts Festival is set for Thursday, May 27 from 7 to 10 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington Street in Vermillion. Symbiosis will feature visual art, speakers, and music. A variety of art will be on display at the festival – John Brooks (a video installation), Scott Erikson (collages, mixed media, sculpture and drawing); Becca Gehm (paintings, prints, large drawings); Danny Grindle (paintings, prints, photos and a book); Leah Keating (nature photos); Sheridan Sogge (collages); and Jonah Wonnenberg (photos and mixed media). Animator and designer Peter Gehm will present information about his new animation studio. At 8 p.m. the 5 Grand Band featuring Steve Gap (vocals, guitar, bass, rhythm); Bruce Gray (guitar, bass); Cindy Gehm (guitar, bass, rhythm, harmonica); Becca Gehm (vocals, guitar, bass, rhythm, harmonica) and Dan Grosvenor (percussion) will perform.
• Members of the new Free School community will inform the audience about their group. You can join or renew your membership in Vermillion Area Arts Council at the festival, which is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. The VAAC invites you to come and enjoy these artists' Symbiosis.
• 2 Rivers Ride'10 Friday, May 28 with opening festivities at City Park in Gayville. Ride begins in Gayville Saturday, May 29 to Niobrara State Park returning to Gayville Sunday, May 30. Helmets required. Registration deadline May 19; fee $35 – after May 19, $45 (no refunds). To register, call Rob at 712-259-2684, Denise at 605-376-7762; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Portion of proceeds benefit Niobrara State Park
• R.A.C.E. 2010 – Sanford Vermillion Summer Strength & Conditioning Program for athletes and non-athletes, ages 13-18 years – to register, return application form and fees to Amy Richardson, Sanford Vermillion Sports Medicine, 20 S. Plum, 677-9766, or to the VHS Athletic Training Room by May 28. Eight-week session runs from June 7 to July 29 for $75 and "Sports Ready" Session runs from July 26 to Aug. 12 for $100. Sessions meet Monday – Thursday at VHS for approximately two hrs./day.
• Prentis Park Pool Opens for the Season Saturday, May 29. Open swim from 1 to 4:50 p.m. and 6 to 8:45 p.m. daily. www.vermillionparksandrec.com/Prentis_Park_Pool
• Gayville Hall – "A Celebration of Johnny Cash" with John & Susan McNeill, Owen DeJong, and Nick Schwebach appearing in Gayville, Saturday, May 29 at 8 p.m. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
• South Dakota Kayak Challenge May 29 and 30. The first-ever South Dakota Kayak Challenge is a two day, marathon-endurance paddling race on the Missouri National Recreational River for canoeists, kayakers and any paddle-powered craft. Race begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 29 at Riverside Park in Yankton and ends 75 miles later at Bev's on the River in Sioux City by 8 p.m. Sunday, May 30. Racers will have four checkpoints on the route: #1 Myron Grove, #2 Mulberry Bend, #3 Bolton, #4 Rosenbaum. Volunteers are needed to help with the event. For more information please visit www.sdkayakchallenge.org or call 605-941-4940 or 605-864-9011.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• The Annual H-Worth Open will be hosted at The Bluffs on Saturday, June 12. This four person scramble is in memory of Matt Hollingsworth for the benefit of Clay County EMS Dept. The registration price will include 18 holes of golf, BBQ by Nick Merrigan, and prizes. Call 677-7058 or stop by The Bluffs to pre-register and for details.
• Travel to Guatemala with Diane Nesselhuf June 17-27. The trip will center on fair trade and sustainability. If interested in the trip, contact Diane at email@example.com or call 356-3221.
• 141st Annual Dalesburg Mid-Summer Festival celebrating Scandinavian and rural heritage will be held Friday, June 18 on the grounds of the Dalesburg Lutheran Church. Enjoy a smorgasbord supper, musical performances and more. Visitors welcome.
• Hub City Celebrates 85 Years the evening of Saturday, June 19 with a BBQ and music. Public welcome.
The Vermillion Community Theatre will present the great Rodgers & Hammerstein musical "Oklahoma" July 9-12 at Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Tickets: $12 for adults; $6 for K-12 and will be available after June 28 at Nook n' Cranny and Davis Pharmacy. For additional information check the website at www.vermillioncommunitytheatre.org or call Sandy Dickenson at 624-6670
Fifth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social Monday, July 19 hosted by Sanford Vermillion & Dakota Hospital Foundation in memory of Sheri, a dedicated and passionate registered nurse at Sanford Hospital Vermillion who lost her struggle with cancer in 2005.
Ribs, Rods & Rock'n Roll Sept. 10 and Sept. 11. For more information visit www.sdbbqchampionship.com/
2010 Nikki's Fund 5K Run/Walk – Sept. 11, at 9 a.m. in Prentis Park. This event is in honor of Nikki Harris, and all of those that have been affected by suicide/depression. Nikki's Fund was started by Nikki's mother, Janine Harris, who lost her daughter to suicide. Since then she has been on a mission to promote suicide prevention awareness to USD, the Vermillion community, and other surrounding communities. The goal of Nikki's Fund is to raise money for students that cannot afford medicine while battling depression and other health issues, and promoting suicide prevention. Contact Janine Harris at 677-5424 or Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org or go to allsportcentral.com to register.
Girl Scouts on the Run 5K Walk and Run on Sept. 18, 2010 including a shorter children's run. This fund raiser event for Girl Scouts will start at 9 a.m. at Prentis Park at the south shelter. For more information, contact Mary Edelen, 624-4760.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.