Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours hosted by SESDAC Tuesday, May 11 from 5 to 7 p.m. (Use middle set of double doors on the west side of the building.)
Business After Hours hosted by USD at the Muenster University Center Tuesday, May 18 from 5 to 7 p.m. This event will give the community an opportunity to sample food from Aramark, view available meeting room and event rental space, and tour the new building.
Candidate Forum for all those running for city council/mayor will be held on Tuesday, May 25 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Neuharth Center on USD's campus.
Annual Fourth of July Celebration – Are you interested in participating in the Annual Fourth of July Celebration? We are currently seeking food vendors and children's activities for the event! Additionally we are looking for a band to play from approximately 8 to 9:30 p.m. before the fireworks start. If interested, please contact Carly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Carly at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
VCDC Committees: Are you interested in becoming more active with the VCDC and in the community? Join one of our new committees! We currently have two new committees that we are searching for great volunteers. These committees are the Special Events Committee and the Legislative Affairs Committee. If you love event planning, the Special Events Committee is for you! This committee will work to plan and promote special events that the VCDC hosts such as the Annual Fourth of July Celebration, the Annual Golf Social, and the Annual Banquet. Are you interested in the legislative issues that affect Clay County and local businesses? The Legislative Affairs Committee will work to stay up to date on such issues and keep the VCDC membership informed. If you are interested in either of these 624-5571.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
This Weeks Happenings:
• Announcement: In May, help Domestic Violence Safe Options Services (DV SOS) by dining at Raziel's as they are donating 5 percent of the sale of every meal to the organization. People's patronage will help DV SOS continue to provide confidential, life saving services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
• USD Art Students Graduation Exhibitions Friday, May 7, in Main Gallery (all day).
• High School Girl's Golf Big 8 Conference at West Central Friday, May 7 at 11 a.m. (T).
• Sanford School of Medicine 2010 Alumni Luncheon with the Dean Friday, May 7 at11:30 a.m. at Sioux Falls Holiday Inn City Centre Embassy Rooms II & III to celebrate the Classes of 1960, 1985 and 2005 Reunions and 2010 Alumni Banquet at 7 p.m.
• Hospital Auxiliary Meeting Friday, May 7 at Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St. at 2 p.m.
• High School Boy's Tennis at Sioux City East Friday, May 7 at 4 p.m. (T).
• Junior Varsity Baseball vs. Wagner Friday, May 7 at 5 p.m. (H).
• Law School Hooding Ceremony Friday, May 7 in the MUC Ballroom at 5:30 p.m. Reception will follow at the Armory Building.
• Sanford School of Medicine 2010 Graduation Convocation Friday, May 7 at 5:30 p.m. at Sioux Falls Holiday Inn City Centre International Rooms.
• Native Student Graduate Honoring Ceremony Friday, May 7 at 6 p.m. at the Neuharth Media Center.
• Varsity Baseball vs. Wagner Friday, May 7 at 7 p.m. (H).
• Spring Musical Friday, May 7, Saturday, May 8 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, May 9 at 2:30 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
• Senior Voice Recital with Jonathan Brown, tenor Friday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m in Colton Recital Hall. Open to the public at no charge.
• Vermillion Garden Club Plant Sale Saturday, May 8 at Vermillion 4-H Grounds at 9 a.m.
• USD Spring Commencement Saturday, May 8 at 9:30 a.m. in the DakotaDome.
• Seventh/eighth grade track Saturday, May 8 at 9:30 a.m. at Yankton Relays (T).
• Junior Varsity Baseball vs. Bon Homme Saturday, May 8 at 5 p.m. (H).
• Varsity Baseball vs. Bon Homme Saturday, May 8 at 7 p.m. (H)
Next Weeks Happenings:
• Vermillion Community Theatre auditions for "Oklahoma" May 10 and13 at 6 p.m. at the UCC Church, 226 E. Main St., Vermillion. Open to actors of all ages. Check website for audition forms and information: www.vermillioncommunitytheatre.org.
• American Legion Auxiliary-Wallace Unit #1 meets Tuesday, May 11 at 7 p.m. at Senior Citizen Center in Vermillion.
• Spring Fling Dinner fundraiser at First United Methodist Church of Vermillion, Wednesday, May 12, 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the fellowship rooms at 16 N. Dakota St. Menu: roast beef, potatoes, vegetables & desserts. Cost: $10 for adults; $5 for children 12 years and under. Public is invited.
• Cancer Support Group – Vermillion meets Wednesday, May 12 at 6:30 p.m. in Al Neuharth Media Center Freedom Forum Conference Room, corner of Cherry & Dakota Street (use north entrance in north parking lot).
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thursday, May 13, 3 to 7 p.m. on corner of Cherry & High St.
• South Dakota Board of Regents Community Forum Thursday, May 13, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. at USD Grand Ballroom in Muenster University Center. Public invited to attend this open session of the SDBOR May 2010 meeting.
• Heartland Humane Society Annual Animal Fair – Raffle tickets now available by contacting Tasha Anderson at 605-664-4244 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Seven raffle packages available to view on website: www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. Drawing on Saturday, May 15 at Animal Fair at Riverside Park in Yankton.
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars!
• St. Agnes Youth Group French toast fundraiser Sunday, May 16 from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at St. Agnes School Gym. Free will offering taken at the door. For more information, call Ray Hofman at 624-6457.
• Eastern Star Salad Luncheon Monday, May 17 from 11:30 to 1:30 p.m. at Masonic Temple. Tickets $6.
• Preservations Wednesdays sponsored by Clay County Historic Preservation Commission & Clay County Historical Society meets Wednesday, May 19 at Vermillion Public Library, 7 p.m. Topic: Salvaged Building Parts by John Erikson. Free and open to the public. For additional information contact Jim Wilson,624-4579.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thursday, May 20, 3 to 7 p.m. on corner of Cherry & High Streets.
• Seventh/eighth grade spring concert scheduled for May 13 has been moved to Thursday, May, 20 at 7 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
• Third Annual Preservation Celebration Saturday, May 22 at the Austin Whittemore House, 15 Austin St. Clay County Historic Preservation Commission will celebrate Historic Preservation & Archeology Month with three workshops followed by a box lunch with a keynote speaker and choice of two guided walking tours. Workshops: 8:30 a.m. – Moisture in Historic Buildings with Jim Wilson; 9:40 a.m. – Wood Windows: Repair & Rehabilitation with Shane Fry; 10:50 a.m. – Historic Masonry: Repair Demonstration with Doug Griffin. Noon – talk by Jay D. Vogt: SD State Historic Preservation Officer. Walking tour of downtown Vermillion or USD Campus at 1:30 p.m. Free and open to the public. Pre-registration appreciated – call 624-4579.
• Gayville Hall – "An Evening of Old-Time Country Gospel" with John & Susan McNeill and guests appearing in Gayville, Saturday, May 22 at 8 p.m. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
• Hospice Volunteer Training Thursday, May 27, 9 to 4 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital Cafeteria Meeting Room-free. Lunch provided. Pre-registration required – call Shannon Stroman at 624-2611 ext 485 or 1-888-845-4470 ext 84430; email: email@example.com.
• 2 Rivers Ride'10 begins Friday, May 28 with opening festivities at City Park in Gayville. Ride begins in Gayville Saturday, May 29 to Niobrara State Park returning to Gayville Sunday, May 30. Helmets required. Registration deadline May 19; fee $35 – after May 19, $45 (no refunds). To register, call Rob at (712) 259-2684, Denise at (605) 376-7762 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Portion of proceeds to benefit Niobrara State Park.
• The Annual H-Worth Open will be hosted at The Bluffs on Saturday, June 12. This four person scramble is in memory of Matt Hollingsworth for the benefit of Clay County EMS Dept. The registration price will include 18 holes of golf, BBQ by Nick Merrigan, and prizes. Call 677-7058 or stop by The Bluffs to pre-register and for details.
• Travel to Guatemala with Diane Nesselhuf June 17-27. The trip will center on fair trade and sustainability. If interested in the trip, contact Diane at email@example.com or call 356-3221.
• The Vermillion Community Theatre will present the great Rodgers & Hammerstein musical "Oklahoma" July 9-12 at Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Tickets: $12 for adults; $6 for K-12 & will be available after June 28th at Nook n' Cranny and Davis Pharmacy. For additional information check the website at www.vermillioncommunitytheatre.org or call Sandy Dickenson at 624-6670.
• Fifth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social Monday, July 19, hosted by Sanford Vermillion & Dakota Hospital Foundation in memory of Sheri, a dedicated and passionate registered nurse at Sanford Hospital Vermillion who lost her struggle with cancer in 2005.
• 2010 Nikki's Fund 5K Run/Walk – Sept. 11, at 9 a.m. in Prentis Park. This event is in honor of Nikki Harris, and all of those that have been affected by suicide/depression. Nikki's Fund was started by Nikki's mother, Janine Harris, who lost her daughter to suicide. Since then she has been on a mission to promote Suicide Prevention Awareness to USD, the Vermillion community, and other surrounding communities. The goal of Nikki's Fund is to raise money for students that cannot afford medicine while battling depression and other health issues, and promoting suicide prevention. Contact Janine Harris at 677-5424 or Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org. or go to allsportcentral.com to register.
• Girl Scouts on the Run 5K Walk and Run on Sept. 18, including a shorter children's run. This fundraiser event for Girl Scouts will start at 9 a.m. at Prentis Park at the south shelter. For more information, contact Mary Edelen, 624-4760.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.