Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Staffing Changes: We are both happy and sad to announce that Carly Heard, our Member Services Manager, has accepted a position with The University of South Dakota. This is a great opportunity for her and we wish her all the luck in her new position. We are excited to report that Ann Breitag has been promoted to fill her position. Ann has served as our Visitor and Investor Relations Coordinator for the past 2 years and she is well prepared to step into the Member Services Manager role. Filling Ann's position beginning on June 21st will be Maureen Cashin, who will be coming to us from Williams and Company. We've developed a wonderful professional relationship with Maureen through her role serving the VCDC at Williams and Co. over the last couple years and we are sure she will be a great fit in the office. Given the quality and experience of the new staff, we fully expect to continue moving forward in our effort to provide our members with greater value for their membership.
Ribbon Cutting for Fireworks Unlimited @ 9:00 pm on Sun., June 27th at 2719 E. Hwy 50. The public is welcome to join us in celebrating the completion of their new building and enjoy the fireworks show!
Annual 4th of July Celebration—Are you interested in participating in the Annual 4th of July Celebration? We are currently seeking food vendors and children's activities for the event! If interested, please contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org
A Business After Hours will be hosted by The Roadhouse at 911 East Cherry Street on Wednesday, July 14th from 5:00 – 7:00 pm.
Mark your calendars! The VCDC Annual Golf Social will be held on Tues., July 27th at the Bluffs. If you would like to register a team or be a hole sponsor, please email us at email@example.com or give Ann a call at 624-5571.
A Business After Hours hosted by CorTrust Bank & Chaney CorInsurance has been rescheduled from Tues., June 15th to Tues., Sept. 14th from 5:00-7:00 pm.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5-7 pm on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings:
• 141st Annual Dalesburg Mid-Summer Festival celebrating Scandinavian & rural heritage will be held Fri., June 18th on the grounds of the Dalesburg Lutheran Church. Enjoy a smorgasbord supper, musical performances & more. Visitors welcome.
• 2nd Annual SD Vocal Arts Festival presented by USD Dept. of Music Fri., June 18-Sun. June 27 @ Colton Recital Hall; all day. Visit www.sdvaf.com for more information.
• USD Band and Choral Directors Institute at Fine Arts Bldg. Fri., June 18, all day. For more information visit: http://www.usd.edu/fine-arts/music/festivals-and-contests.cfm
• Hub City Celebrates 85 Years the evening of Sat., June 19th with a BBQ & music. Public welcome.
• Dept. of Labor to host a Small Business Workshop with the Dept. of Revenue and Regulation and Small Business Development Center at the Technical Education Center in the Community Room in Yankton Thurs., June 24th from 8:00 – 4:00 pm. Business owners are encouraged to attend this one-day event provided at no charge to learn about available services and programs re SD's labor & employment laws, the workers' compensation & unemployment insurance systems, and employment services provided by DOL's local offices. Register and learn more by visiting www.sdjobs.org or by calling 605-677-6900.
• First Dakota National Bank announces Shred Day, Thurs., June 24th. First Dakota is offering the community the opportunity to shred any personal information free of charge. Bring your paper documents containing personal identifiers to the bank, 111 Court St. in Vermillion between 10-11:00 am.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thurs., June 24th, 3:00-7:00 pm on corner of Cherry & High St.
• Sr. Citizen Center BBQ Fundraiser Thurs., June 24th, 5:30-6:30 pm, $6.00 per person. Tickets available at the door or in advance @ 320 W. Main St. or call 624-8072.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• 4th of July Celebration at Barstow Park, Sun., July 4th from 6:00 pm to dark. Inflatables for kids, beverage garden, food vendors, various children activities, live music by the Outback, Hy-Vee's 4th Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest sponsored by Hy-Vee, Equalizer, Coca-Cola and Sara Lee, and a huge fireworks display by Fireworks Unlimited, sponsored by the VCDC, City of Vermillion, Wal-Mart, CorTrust Bank and The Hungry Coyote. Everyone welcome!
• The Vermillion Community Theatre will present the great Rodgers & Hammerstein musical "Oklahoma" July 9-12 @ Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Tickets: $12 for adults; $6 for K-12 & will be available after June 28th at Nook n' Cranny and Davis Pharmacy. For additional information check the website at www.vermillioncommunitytheatre.org or call Sandy Dickenson at 624-6670
• 5th Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social Mon., July 19th hosted by Sanford Vermillion & Dakota Hospital Foundation in memory of Sheri, a dedicated & passionate Registered Nurse @ Sanford Hospital Vermillion who lost her struggle with cancer in 2005. Sign your team up TODAY. Find more information and registration at www.sanfordvermillion.org/foundation or call Jill at 605.638.8465.
• Hy-Vee's 3rd Annual Scramble for SESDAC Mon. Aug. 16th. Noon registration, 1:00 pm shotgun start, 4 person scramble. $50 per player includes dinner and golf. $15 cart rental, $5 mulligans. Dinner tickets available for $25 for non-golfers. Contact Ron Avery at 624-5574 or the Bluffs to register. This event has raised over $31,000 over the first two years for the SESDAC Foundation.
• Big Friend-Little Friend of Union Co., Inc. Heritage Ride 2010 – Elk Point Sat., Aug. 21st. Register at Cody's Homestead parking lot. Bike ride starts @ 9:00 am. Lunch will be served at Cody's. Bicycle helmets are required. Pre-registration waiver forms available at VCDC. Contact John Gille for additional information: 605-356-2571 or 605-421-5050 (cell); or email@example.com. Order tee shirts by Aug. 4th. Bike ride only-$12.00; bike ride, lunch & tee shirt-$23.00; bike ride & lunch-$15.00; bike ride & tee shirt only-$16.00.
• Ribs, Rods & Rock'n Roll, the '6th Annual State BBQ Championship Cook-Off', is Fri., Sept. 10th & Sat., Sept. 11th. Enjoy two big days of world-class BBQ ribs, food vendors, classic cars, street dance, beverage garden, arts & craft booths, kids entertainment & a smokin' music-fest in Vermillion's Historic Downtown. For more information visit www.sdbbqchampionship.com/ or call 605-624-5571.
• 2010 Nikki's Fund 5K Run/Walk – September 11, 2010 at 9:00 am in Prentis Park. This event is in honor of Nikki Harris, and all of those that have been affected by suicide/depression. Nikki's Fund was started by Nikki's mother, Janine Harris, who lost her daughter to suicide. Since then she has been on a mission to promote Suicide Prevention Awareness to USD, the Vermillion community, and other surrounding communities. The goal of Nikki's Fund is to raise money for students that cannot afford medicine while battling depression and other health issues, and promoting suicide prevention. Contact Janine Harris at 677-5424 or Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org or go to allsportcentral.com to register.
• Girl Scouts on the Run 5K Walk and Run on Sept. 18, 2010 including a shorter children's run. This fund raiser event for Girl Scouts will start at 9:00 am at Prentis Park at the south shelter. For more information, contact Mary Edelen, 624-4760.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com