Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Annual 4th of July Celebration – Are you interested in participating in the Annual Fourth of July Celebration? We are currently seeking food vendors and children's activities for the event! If interested, please contact Ann at email@example.com.
Mark your calendars! The VCDC Annual Golf Social will be held on Tuesday, July 27 at The Bluffs. If you would like to register a team or be a hole sponsor, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 624-5571.
A Business After Hours hosted by CorTrust Bank & Chaney CorInsurance has been rescheduled from Tuesday, June 15 to Tuesday, Sept. 14 from 5 to 7 p.m.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings:
• Sharing the Dream staff plan to deliver food, clothing, tools and other essentials to Guatemala to help those suffering from the May 27 volcano eruption and May 29 tropical storm. The combination of volcanic ash, water and mud, lead to mudslides taking out homes, roads, and bridges. Donations of money for food, clothing, tools and other essentials can be made to Sharing the Dream, P.O. Box 220, Vermillion, SD 57069; www.sharingthedream.org. Diane & Ed Nesselhuf along with six others will be traveling to Guatemala on June 17.
• Heartland Humane Society Celebrates National Adopt A Shelter Cat Month – When you adopt a shelter cat or kitten from Heartland in June, you will be entered into a drawing for a cat gift basket. For additional information about the cats and kittens available at Heartland, contact Tasha Anderson at (605) 664-4244 or stop by the shelter at 601 1/2 Burleigh St., Yankton.
• The Annual H-Worth Open will be hosted at The Bluffs on Saturday, June 12. This four person scramble is in memory of Matt Hollingsworth for the benefit of Clay County EMS Dept. The registration price will include 18 holes of golf, BBQ by Nick Merrigan, and prizes. Call 677-7058 or stop by The Bluffs to pre-register and for details.
Next Weeks Happenings:
• Splashy Summer Shows at Vermillion Public Library in the Community Room. June shows include:
– Overboard, Wednesday, June 16 at 6:30 p.m.
– On Golden Pond, Wednesday, June 23 at 6:30 p.m.
– The Abyss, Wednesday, June 30 at 6:30 p.m.
Free and open to the public.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thursday, June 17, 3 to 7 p.m. on corner of Cherry & High streets.
• Ice Cream Social sponsored by Clay County Historical Society, Thursday, June 17 on the Austin-Whittemore grounds. Live music by The McNeils from 5 to 7 p.m. Alternative site due to inclement weather is W.H. Over Museum.
• 141st Annual Dalesburg Mid-Summer Festival celebrating Scandinavian and rural heritage will be held Friday, June 18 on the grounds of the Dalesburg Lutheran Church. Enjoy a smorgasbord supper, musical performances and more. Visitors welcome.
• Hub City Celebrates 85 Years the evening of Saturday, June 19 with a BBQ and music. Public welcome.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Department of Labor to host a Small Business Workshop with the Department of Revenue and Regulation and Small Business Development Center at the Technical Education Center in the Community Room in Yankton Thursday, June 24 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Business owners are encouraged to attend this one-day event provided at no charge to learn about available services and programs regarding SD's labor and employment laws, the workers' compensation and unemployment insurance systems, and employment services provided by DOL's local offices. Register and learn more by visiting www.sdjobs.org or by calling (605) 677-6900.
• The Vermillion Community Theatre will present the great Rodgers & Hammerstein musical "Oklahoma" July 9-12 at Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Tickets: $12 for adults; $6 for K-12 and will be available after June 28 at Nook n' Cranny and Davis Pharmacy. For additional information check the website at www.vermillioncommunitytheatre.org or call Sandy Dickenson at 624-6670.
• Fifth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social Monday, July 19 hosted by Sanford Vermillion & Dakota Hospital Foundation in memory of Sheri, a dedicated and passionate registered nurse at Sanford Hospital Vermillion who lost her struggle with cancer in 2005. Sign your team up today. Find more information and registration at www.sanfordvermillion.org/foundation or call Jill at (605) 638-8465.
• Hy-Vee's Third Annual Scramble for SESDAC Monday, Aug. 16. Noon registration, 1 p.m., shotgun start, 4 person scramble. $50 per player includes dinner and golf. $15 cart rental, $5 mulligans. Dinner tickets available for $25 for non-golfers. Contact Ron Avery at 624-5574 or The Bluffs to register. This event has raised over $31,000 over the first two years for the SESDAC Foundation.
• Big Friend-Little Friend of Union County, Inc. Heritage Ride 2010 – Elk Point Saturday, Aug. 21. Register at Cody's Homestead parking lot. Bike ride starts at 9 a.m. Lunch will be served at Cody's. Bicycle helmets are required. Pre-registration waiver forms available at VCDC. Contact John Gille for additional information: (605) 356-2571 or (605) 421-5050 (cell); or firstname.lastname@example.org. Order tee shirts by Aug. 4. Bike ride only-$12; bike ride, lunch and tee shirt-$23; bike ride and lunch – $15; bike ride and tee shirt only –$16.
• Ribs, Rods & Rock'n Roll, the "Sixth Annual State BBQ Championship Cook-Off," is Friday, Sept. 10 and Saturday, Sept. 11. Enjoy two big days of world-class BBQ ribs, food vendors, classic cars, street dance, beverage garden, arts and craft booths, kids entertainment and a smokin' music-fest in Vermillion's Historic Downtown. For more information visit www.sdbbqchampionship.com/ or call (605) 624-5571.
2010 Nikki's Fund 5K Run/Walk – Sept. 11, at 9 a.m. in Prentis Park. This event is in honor of Nikki Harris, and all of those that have been affected by suicide/depression. Nikki's Fund was started by Nikki's mother, Janine Harris, who lost her daughter to suicide. Since then she has been on a mission to promote Suicide Prevention Awareness to USD, the Vermillion community, and other surrounding communities. The goal of Nikki's Fund is to raise money for students that cannot afford medicine while battling depression and other health issues, and promoting suicide prevention. Contact Janine Harris at 677-5424 or Janine.email@example.com or go to allsportcentral.com to register.
Girl Scouts on the Run 5K Walk and Run on Sept. 18, 2010 including a shorter children's run. This fund raiser event for Girl Scouts will start at 9 a.m. at Prentis Park at the south shelter. For more information, contact Mary Edelen, 624-4760.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.