Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours hosted by Vermillion Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds on the corner of Cherry & High Streets, Thursday, Aug. 19 from 5 to 7 p.m. Please join us for farm-fresh nibbles and refreshments.
Attention Chamber Members! If you serve the USD student community please join us for the Coyote Bash Monday, Aug. 30 from 12 to 2 p.m. at Downtown Vermillion, between Court & Market Streets. The Coyote Bash is a partnership between the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and the University of South Dakota which introduces incoming freshmen to the product and service offerings of the community. Making the students aware of all we have to offer improves retention, maintains a strong customer base and keeps retail spending local. Don't miss this great opportunity to build loyalty and a relationship with your customers from day one by setting up a table to introduce and promote your business to the new students. For more information please call Ann at the Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company or firstname.lastname@example.org
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
This Weeks Happenings:
• National Music Museum's Brown Bag Lunch Program – Keyboard Sonatas – featuring Michael Tsalka from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m., Friday, July 30. Free and open to the public.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Saturday, July 31, 9 a.m. to noon in the public plaza (Main & Market St.) every Sat. through the end of Sept. (except Sept. 11, when Ribs, Rods & Rock 'n Roll will be there).
• Announcement: The Downtown Vermillion Action Team (DVAT) $100 Gas Card Raffle – $1 for a chance to win $100 gas card. Two $100 gas cards will be raffled; tickets can be purchased from DVAT members and at downtown businesses displaying "Raffle Tickets Sold Here" signs. Proceeds will support community projects taking place in Downtown Vermillion. Drawing to be held by the big tent at the Ribs, Rods, & Rock'n Roll event on Saturday, Sept. 11 at 4:15 p.m. Need not be present to win. For more information, visit: downtownvermillion.com
Next Weeks Happenings:
• National Night Out Tuesday, Aug. 3 from 5 to 8 p.m. in northwest corner of Prentis Park. This event is sponsored by the National Assn. of Town Watch and the Vermillion Police Dept. There will be music, food, fun & games for everyone of all ages, so please come join the festivities!
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thursday, Aug. 5, 3 to 7 p.m. on corner of Cherry & High streets.
• Vermillion Lion's Club Free-will Donation Breakfast Thursday through Sunday, Aug. 5-8, 7 a.m. to 12:00 noon at I-29 Rest Area, Exit 26. The annual Traveler/Biker Breakfast is a community fundraising project of Vermillion Lions Club to support W.H. Over Museum. Everyone is welcome!
• Hospital Auxiliary Meeting Friday, Aug. 6 at 2 p.m. at the Care Center dining room at 125 Walker St.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Saturday, Aug. 7, 9 a.m. to noon in the public plaza (Main & Market streets) every Saturday through the end of September (except Sept. 11, when Ribs, Rods & Rock 'n Roll will be there).
• Gayville Hall – "The Hay Country Jamboree" with John & Susan McNeill, Dan Kilbride, Dalton Coffey, and Jami Lynn appearing in Gayville, Saturday, Aug. 7 at 8 p.m. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• Clay County Fair & Achievement Days Thursday, Aug. 12th – Saturday, Aug. 14 at Clay County Fair Grounds. 4-H Exhibits, Demolition Derby, ATV Races, Inflatables for children, and more! For more information go to www.claycountyfair.com.
• Clay County 4-H 5K Run/Walk organized by Jolly J.J.'s 4-H Club Saturday, Aug. 14. Pre-registration from 8:15 to 8:45 a.m.; event begins at 9 a.m. at Clay County Fairgrounds, 515 High Street. Preregistration deadline: Monday, Aug. 2. Cost: $20 includes T-shirt; $25 late registration. All proceeds go to Vermillion Food Pantry. For every single food pantry item donated, participant's name will be entered into a drawing for prizes. No bikes, roller blades, or pets. Contact Pam Hanson, 624-4747 for more information.
• Fly-In Breakfast/Lions Club Pancake Breakfast Sunday, Aug. 15 at Harold Davidson Field, Vermillion. Enjoy Lions Club Pancake Breakfast (free will donation) from 8 a.m. to noon. Proceeds to benefit The Senior Citizens Center.
• Hy-Vee's Third Annual Scramble for SESDAC Monday, Aug. 16. Noon registration, 1 p.m. shotgun start, four-person scramble. $50 per player includes dinner and golf. $15 cart rental, $5 mulligans. Dinner tickets available for $25 for non-golfers. Contact Ron Avery at 624-5574 or The Bluffs to register. This event has raised over $31,000 over the first two years for the SESDAC Foundation.
• Big Friend-Little Friend of Union Co., Inc. Heritage Ride 2010 – Elk Point Saturday, Aug. 21. Register at Cody's Homestead parking lot. Bike ride starts at 9 a.m. Lunch will be served at Cody's. Bicycle helmets are required. Pre-registration waiver forms available at VCDC. Contact John Gille for additional information: 605-356-2571 or 605-421-5050 (cell); or firstname.lastname@example.org. Order t-shirts by Aug. 4. Bike ride only – $12; bike ride, lunch and t-shirt – $23; bike ride and lunch – $15; bike ride and t-shirt only – $16.
• Thursdays on the Plaza/Summer Concert Series 2010 in downtown Vermillion Thursday, Aug. 26 on the corner of Main and Market streets from 5 to 8 p.m. Live music by Paradise Fears and Mike & Jay. Beverages will be on sale and you are encouraged to stop by your favorite restaurant to pick up a 'Picnic Plate.' Everyone is welcome! Sponsored by the Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company, First Dakota National Bank, CorTrust Bank, Bank of the West, First Bank & Trust, and Wells Fargo Bank.
• Muenster Center to host USD Move-In Day Welcome Party with a vendor fair in the Muenster Center Ballroom Saturday, Aug. 28, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact Jill Ward at email@example.com or 677-5398 to reserve a vendor table.
• Bull-A-Rama with bulls, bull fighters, clowns, bull riders and more at the Clay County Rodeo Grounds, Aug. 28 and 29.
Great Dakota Wine Festival at Valiant Vineyards/Buffalo Run Resort with live music, wine tasting and more! Aug. 28 and 29.
Ribs, Rods & Rock'n Roll. The Sixth Annual State BBQ Championship Cook-Off is Friday, Sept. 10 and Saturday, Sept. 11. Enjoy two big days of world-class BBQ ribs, food vendors, classic cars, street dance, beverage garden, arts and craft booths, kids entertainment and a smokin' music-fest in Vermillion's Historic Downtown. For more information visit www.sdbbqchampionship.com/ or call 605-624-5571.
2010 Nikki's Fund 5K Run/Walk – Sept. 11, at 9 a.m. in Prentis Park. This event is in honor of Nikki Harris, and all of those that have been affected by suicide/depression. Nikki's Fund was started by Nikki's mother, Janine Harris, who lost her daughter to suicide. Since then she has been on a mission to promote Suicide Prevention Awareness to USD, the Vermillion community, and other surrounding communities. The goal of Nikki's Fund is to raise money for students that cannot afford medicine while battling depression and other health issues, and promoting suicide prevention. Contact Janine Harris at 677-5424 or Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org or go to allsportcentral.com to register.
Girl Scouts on the Run 5K Walk and Run on Sept. 18, including a shorter children's run. This fund raiser event for Girl Scouts will start at 9 a.m. at Prentis Park at the south shelter. For more information, contact Mary Edelen, 624-4760.
Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Sunday, Sept. 26 at the DakotaDome. www.komensouthdakota.com.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.