Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Mark your calendars! The VCDC Annual Golf Social will be held on Tuesday, July 27 at The Bluffs. If you would like to register a team, be a hole sponsor, or donate pin/door prizes, please email us at email@example.com or give Ann a call at 624-5571.
A Business After Hours hosted by CorTrust Bank & Chaney CorInsurance, 101 W. Main St., will be held Tuesday, Sept. 14 from 5 to 7 p.m.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to show off your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5 to 7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d'oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
This Weeks Happenings:
• Sixth Annual Heritage Music Fest in Elk Point Saturday. July 17, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Elk Point/Jefferson School gym, 402 S. Douglas. Bring lawn chairs and enjoy live music—country, gospel and variety! Freewill donation to benefit Lewis & Clark Heritage Days held in August in Elk Point. Food available and dinner from 5 to 6 p.m. Call Elaine Peacock, 605-356-2069 www.elainepeacock.com or Linda McKay 605-356-2310 email@example.com for additional information.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Saturday, July 17, 9 a.m. to noon in the public plaza (Main & Market St.) every Saturday through the end of September (except Sept. 11, when Ribs, Rods & Rock 'n Roll will be there).
• Heartland Humane Society has several cats and kittens available for adoption at the shelter and are expecting more kittens. The shelter is in need of quality kitten food such as Purina Kitten Chow, and scoopable or clumping cat litter for litters of kittens in their care. For additional information, contact Tasha Anderson, (605) 664-4244.
Next Weeks Happenings:
• Fifth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social Monday, July 19 hosted by Sanford Vermillion and Dakota Hospital Foundation in memory of Sheri, a dedicated and passionate registered nurse at Sanford Hospital Vermillion who lost her struggle with cancer in 2005. Sign your team up today. Find more information and registration at www.sanfordvermillion.org/foundation or call Jill at 605.638.8465.
• Trinity Lutheran Ice Cream Social Tuesday, July 20, 5 to 7 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, 816 E. Clark. Enjoy taverns, chips, homemake pies and cakes, and ice cream. Free will offering.
• The Old Man and the Sea is the upcoming feature film in the Splashy Summer Shows scheduled for Wednesday, July 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Room of the Vermillion Public Library. Free and open to the public.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Thursday, July 22, 3 to 7 p.m. on corner of Cherry and High streets.
• Vermillion Farmers Market Saturday, July 24, 9 a.m. to noon in the public plaza (Main & Market streets) every Sat.urday through the end of September (except Sept. 11, when Ribs, Rods & Rock 'n Roll will be there).
• Gayville Hall – "The Poker Alice Band with Brenda George" appearing in Gayville, Saturday, July 24 at 8 p.m. Call 605-267-2859 for reservations.
Upcoming Events –
Mark Your Calendars!
• VCDC Annual Golf Social Tuesday, July 27 at The Bluffs Golf Course. Eighteen hole, four-person scramble. Registration and team photos from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Shotgun start at 1 p.m. Dinner and social at 6 p.m. $250 per team includes golf, dinner, and one mulligan. $15 cart rental. Extra mulligan is $5. Dinner tickets available for $25 for non-golfers. Please contact Ann at the VCDC office for more information or to register 605-624-5571 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Annual Ice Cream Social at Vermillion Senior Citizen Center Thursday, July 29, 5 to 6:30 p.m. $6 per person.
• National Music Museum's Brown Bag Lunch Program – Keyboard Sonatas – featuring Michael Tsalka from 12:05 to 12:55 p.m., Friday, July 30. Free and open to the public.
• Clay County Fair & Achievement Days Thursday, Aug. 12 – Saturday, Aug. 14 at Clay County Fair Grounds. 4-H Exhibits, Demolition Derby, ATV Races, Inflatables for children, and more! For more information go to www.claycountyfair.com
• Clay County 4-H 5K Run/Walk organized by Jolly J.J.'s 4-H Club Saturday, Aug. 14. Pre-registration from 8:15 to 8:45 a.m.; event begins at 9 a.m. at Clay County Fairgrounds, 515 High Street. Preregistration deadline: Monday, Aug. 2. Cost: $20 includes T-shirt; $25 late registration. All proceeds go to Vermillion Food Pantry. For every single food pantry item donated, participant's name will be entered into a drawing for prizes. No bikes, roller blades, or pets. Contact Pam Hanson, 624-4747 for more information.
• Hy-Vee's Third Annual Scramble for SESDAC Monday, Aug. 16. Noon registration, 1 p.m. shotgun start, four-person scramble. $50 per player includes dinner and golf. $15 cart rental, $5 mulligans. Dinner tickets available for $25 for non-golfers. Contact Ron Avery at 624-5574 or The Bluffs to register. This event has raised over $31,000 over the first two years for the SESDAC Foundation.
• Big Friend-Little Friend of Union County, Inc. Heritage Ride 2010 – Elk Point Saturday, Aug. 21. Register at Cody's Homestead parking lot. Bike ride starts at 9 a.m. Lunch will be served at Cody's. Bicycle helmets are required. Pre-registration waiver forms available at VCDC. Contact John Gille for additional information: (605) 356-2571 or (605) 421-5050 (cell); or email@example.com. Order tee shirts by Aug. 4. Bike ride only – $12; bike ride, lunch and tee shirt – $23; bike ride and lunch – $15; bike ride and tee shirt only – $16.
• Bull-A-Rama with bulls, bull fighters, clowns, bull riders and more at the Clay County Rodeo Grounds, Aug. 28 and 29.
• Great Dakota Wine Festival at Valiant Vineyards/Buffalo Run Resort with live music, wine tasting and more! August 28 and 29.
• Ribs, Rods & Rock'n Roll, the '6th Annual State BBQ Championship Cook-Off', is Fri., Sept. 10th & Sat., Sept. 11th. Enjoy two big days of world-class BBQ ribs, food vendors, classic cars, street dance, beverage garden, arts & craft booths, kids entertainment & a smokin' music-fest in Vermillion's Historic Downtown. For more information visit www.sdbbqchampionship.com/ or call 605-624-5571.
• 2010 Nikki's Fund 5K Run/Walk – Sept. 11, at 9 a.m. in Prentis Park. This event is in honor of Nikki Harris, and all of those that have been affected by suicide/depression. Nikki's Fund was started by Nikki's mother, Janine Harris, who lost her daughter to suicide. Since then she has been on a mission to promote Suicide Prevention Awareness to USD, the Vermillion community, and other surrounding communities. The goal of Nikki's Fund is to raise money for students that cannot afford medicine while battling depression and other health issues, and promoting suicide prevention. Contact Janine Harris at 677-5424 or Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org or go to allsportcentral.com to register.
• Girl Scouts on the Run 5K Walk and Run on Sept. 18, including a shorter children's run. This fundraiser event for Girl Scouts will start at 9 a.m. at Prentis Park at the south shelter. For more information, contact Mary Edelen, 624-4760.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.