Sesquicentennial Highlights

Excerpts from the
Dakota Republican

Observations and comments by Austin Lathrop:

 "It takes a real old timer to remember the Episcopal Church and boys' school and dormitory that was erected on High street in 1889.  The buildings occupied about half the block on the west side of the street between National and Cedar streets.

 The boys' school was the idea of Rev. Garland, who was rector of the Episcopal Church at that time.  He brought a group of boys from his home state of New York to form the nucleus for the school.

 The buildings were erected at an approximate cost of $20,000.  The church proper formed the center of the group of buildings and the school rooms, dormitory and rectory were connected to the church.  The church had a pipe organ, one of the first in this section, and the latest heating devices.
 
The boy's school did not draw the expected attendance, and it was not long before the entire project was in financial difficulties.  Rev. Garland resigned as rector and local and outside creditors joined in liquidation proceedings.  Settlement was made and the church building was moved to its present location on Dakota street.  The pipe organ was taken over by the Congregational church.  The school buildings were occupied by several of the lower grades of the city schools for a few years before the west side grade school building was erected.

 About the turn of the century a Catholic school, St. Joseph's Academy, was started in the buildings.  These were used for a number of years together with a new building which was constructed.  The academy was discontinued about 35 years ago and all the buildings, with the exception of one used for a residence, have been torn down."

 THE GOOD OLD DAYS BY:  Austin Lathrop

 "The depot at Burbank, which has not been used for a number of years, is being torn down and carted away.  Time was when Burbank had a depot agent and telegrapher and all trains stopper there in those days.  Nels Anderson was postmaster and ran a general store.  Jake Mack operated the lumber yard and T. C. Maude the telephone exchange.  There was even a bank in Burbank for a number of years, with W. A. Chaussee the cashier.  Then there was the M.W.A. hall, where dances were held that attracted the young folks from near and far.

 But to get back to the depot.  When the trains made regular stops at Burbank, most of the inhabitants went down to see the cars and who was on them.  An old-time fiddler by the name of Herring used to entertain the passengers with a few selections when the train stopped.  That was before the era of the old-time fiddler contests, or the old boy would have been right in there scraping his bow with the best of them.  The last depot agent was C. F. Vincent, who was on the job about 25 years ago. Now freights are the only trains making regular stops at Burbank, and the passenger trains zoom through at 60 miles an hour. Leaving nothing but the mail.

 And how many persons who have reached the three score mark can go out and pick 100 bushels of corn in a day and unload same?  Well, not very many, we venture.  But that's what Harrison Hawley of Burbank did last week and thought nothing of it.  The corn is very dry this year which in fact aids in the picking by hand and makes it harder when mechanical pickers are used."

 The Sears & Roebuck Order store is opening this week with a large display of goods.  Mrs. Caroline Nelson will be the store manager and Mrs. Geraldine Adamson and Mrs. Marjorie Sorenson will be her assistants.  An addition attraction on Thursday will be Santa Claus in the afternoon and evening.  The store is located at 5 East Main.
 
The rat eradication campaign sponsored by the City Council is now under way.  The north side of Main Street in the business section has been baited with poison.  Traps will also be set.  Five hundred traps have been ordered.  Two men have been hired to check the traps the following day and remove what has been caught.  Poison will also be placed at the dump ground, where the garbage has been dragged into long windrows so that it can be more easily poisoned.  If private homes are bothered they will be taken care of if the owner's will call the city auditor's office.
 The OPA office (War Price and Rationing Board) will close its doors January 1, 1946, three years after its establishment.

End 1945

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>