Meckling Livestock 4-H Club Minutes
November 15, 2010
The Meckling Livestock 4-H club met at the 4-H Center Nov. 15 for a monthly meeting. Members brought several gently used books for the book drive, many cans of food to donate to the St. Agnes Thanksgiving baskets and Christmas presents for Operation Christmas Gift.
President Haley Friedel called the meeting to order. Tyler Hauck led the Pledge of Allegiance and the 4-H Pledge. Roll call topic was "hat are you going to do for Thanksgiving." The Secretaries' report was read and approved. No Treasurer report was given.
For old business, members selected club goals for the year. They include: 1. Increasing the number of members who exhibit in the county fair and state fair. 2. Increasing the number of members that participate in county presentations. 3. All members to complete their 4-H Journals. 4. All members to give club demonstrations.
Our Community service projects for December will be to ring bells for the Salvation Army at Hy-Vee on Dec. 3 from 4 to 7 p.m. We will also be in charge of the children's craft area at the W.H. Over Museum Christmas Festival on Dec. 5. Members need to sign up to work for both events. We will be delivering Meals on Wheels from Dec. 27-31st. Two drivers and two helpers are needed each day. Members and parents are encouraged to sign up. Ticket Orders for the 4-H Night at the Skyforce game are due Dec. 7 with the game being on Dec. 11 at the Sioux Falls Arena.
For new business, the 4-H Leaders congratulated everyone who received awards at the Annual 4-H Recognition Event held Nov. 12. The Meckling Livestock 4-H Club was awarded the "Outstanding Club" award for the year based on community service, 4-H promotion and fair participation. Congratulations club members on a great year! Members are reminded to complete their Thank You notes to the sponsors for the awards.The Winter Retreat will be held in Pierre for members 13-18 years old on Dec. 11-12. The Harvest Festival Open House has been moved to Dec. 20 from 5-7 p.m. at the 4-H Center. Members and families are encouraged to attend and to invite their friends and neighbors to the open house that showcases what the Cooperative Extension Service has to offer the community. A soup supper will be served. The meeting was adjourned. Members enjoyed treats brought by Tyler, Phillip and Nicole Hauck.
Our next meeting will be Monday, Dec. 13 at 6:30 p.m. at the 4-H Center. Seth Heine will host the meeting
Meckling Livestock 4-H Club Minutes
October 23, 2010
The Meckling Livestock 4-H club met to rake the yard of the Vermillion Senior Citizen's Center at 10:00 a.m. on Oct. 23 for their October Community Service Project. After raking the yard for the Senior Citizens, the members went to the 4-H Center for the meeting.
The meeting was called to order by Secretary, Erica Fallan. The Pledge of Allegiance was led Phillip Hauck. Tyler Hauck led the 4-H pledge. Roll call topic was "What you are going to be for Halloween." Secretary's report was given by Erica Fallan. Treasurer's report was not given.
New members this year include: Jessica Brady, Kelly, Kinsey, and Kara Mulheron. New Co-Leader: Shelly Hauck.Will Kennedy, 4-H Extension Education, gave a presentation on Diversity to the club members. Will also talked to the members about Operation Military Kids and what they could do as 4-H members to support friends with family members that have been deployed. Will also encouraged members to apply for the Operation military Kids workshop that would be coming up and to participate in Operation Military Kids event.
National 4-H Week was Oct. 3-9, 2010. The club participated with a float in the Dakota Days parade promoting 4-H. Members had a display at the Vermillion Vision Clinic and a poster at Jill's Hair Company promoting National 4-H week. The club had also voted at the last meeting to give a 4-H gift bag to the first baby born during National 4-H week at Dakota Hospital.
Acting President Erica Fallan presented the requirements that need to be met in order to qualify for premium money for the upcoming year. Members must attend at least 4 meetings, give a presentation at a club meeting, participate in a countywide event such as exhibiting at the fair, and complete their 4-H record book.
Erica Fallan also gave a presentation on the duties of each 4-H office. Following the presentation, members elected new officers for the year. President: Seth Heine, Vice President: Haley Friedel, Secretary: Tyler Hauck, Treasurer: Shayla Kirstner.
Leader Julie Fallan, told the club about the requirements that need to be met for the outstanding 4-H club award. We have won this award several times in the past. It is based on club participation in Community Service projects, county and state fair participation and participation in Youth-In-Action Events.
Members voted to also complete the following community Service projects in October and November:
1. Shoes for the Shoeless. Several pairs of shoes were collected by the 4-H members for donation.
2. Members are to bring 1-2 canned food items to the November meeting to assist St. Agnes in making Thanksgiving Baskets for needy families.
3. We will give $20 to the South Dakota 4-H Foundation.
4. Members are to bring gently used children's books to the November meeting for the Book Drive.
The members voted to approve several community service projects that will take place in December:
1. We will have a Christmas tree promoting 4-H at the W.H. Over Museum Christmas Festival on Dec. 5 from 12:30-4:30 p.m. and be in being in charge of the kids' crafts for the event.
2. We will participate in Operation Christmas Gift. Members are to bring small gift items for a girl, ages 2-4 years old that will fit into a shoebox to the December meeting.
3. We will participate in the ESA Giving Tree project by purchasing a gift for a boy ages 7-9 years.
4. We will be ringing bells for the Salvation Army at Hy-Vee.
5. We will be delivering Meals on Wheels during Christmas break.6. We will participate in the Alternative Christmas project by donating $25.
1. Halloween Haunted House, Julie will email dates and times.
2. 4-H Recognition Event – Sunday Nov. 14 at 2 p.m. 4-H Center, we need to provide 5 dozen cookies. Members are encouraged to attend.
3. Nov. 3: Clean up of the 4-H garden at 10 a.m. bring gloves and rakes, lunch provided.
4. National 4-H Trip Applications are due to the State 4-H Office by Nov. 16. Members must be 16 years old by Jan. 1, 2011.
5. Cooperative Extension Service Fall Festival Monday, Nov. 29 at the 4-H Center.
6. Skyforce game 4-H night: Dec. 11. Tickets $11 includes a hot god and a drink, order tickets by December 7. See monthly newsletter for details.
Other Business:Leader Julie Fallan has set up a Facebook page for the Meckling Livestock Club. We will be ordering club t-shirts and sweat shirts. Cost will be $11 for the t-shirts and $22.50 for the sweatshirts.
Thank you notes were written and signed by members for the following:
1. Marlon Hanson Plumbing for constructing and donating the clothing forms for the county achievement days exhibits.
2. Dakota Construction for donating the use of their wheelbarrows for picking up leaves at the Senior Citizens Center.
3. Sheri Ouellette for all her years of service to the Meckling Livestock 4-H Club as co-leader.
Meeting was adjourned by Secretary Erica Fallan. Members enjoyed pizza provided by Julie Fallan. The next meeting will be Nov. 15 at 6:30 p.m. with Hauck family as hosts.