The Tanager boys tennis team picked up its first dual victory of the season Friday with a 5-4 squeaker over Sioux City East, a day after losing an 8-1 decision at Yankton.
A dual at Sioux Falls Lincoln Thursday afternoon and another at Madison Saturday morning will conclude the regular season. The state tournament is slated for Sioux Falls next Friday and Saturday, May 20-21.
"This wasn't really the way we wanted to get our first win, but we'll take it," said Coach Dan Hanson. He was referring to the fact that, while the Tanagers won three matches on their own, East had no No. 6 singles player available and thus had to default in No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles, handing Vermillion an extra pair of wins.
James May won his No. 3 singles match by a 10-6 count, and Tyler Osborne swept his No. 5 match 10-0. The other Tanager victory came at No. 2 doubles where May and Osborne won by 10-4.
May and Osborne also scored the Tanagers' one victory in the Yankton dual, winning a marathon at No. 3 doubles by a score of 11-10.
VHS 5, S.C. East 4
1. Wes McBride lost to Dustin Smith 10-4.
2. Ethan Druin lost to Josh Peterson 10-2.
3. James May defeated Levi Weber 10-6.
4. Camden Raizola lost to Casey Saunders 10-5.
5. Tyler Osborne defeated Dave Trotter 10-0.
6. Nate Svendsen won by default.
1. McBride/Raizola lost to Smith/Peterson 10-6.
2. May/Osborne defeated Weber/Saunders 10-4.
3. Druin/Svendsen won by default.
Yankton 8, VHS 1
1. McBride lost to Jeremy Cap 11-9.
2. Druin lost to Max Hunhoff 10-2.
3. May lost to Derek Dvorais 10-3.
4. Raizola lost to Luke Rockne 10-2.
5. Osborne lost to Chance Sorenson 10-0.
6. May lost to Ryan Shindler 10-4.
1. McBride/Raizola lost to Cap/Hunhoff 10-5.
2. Druin/Day lost to Dvorais/Rockne 10-2.
3. May/Osborne defeated Shindler/Morgan Jones 11-10.