FRIDAY, October 28
- National Music Museum (NMM) Brown Bag Lunch Program, 12:05 p.m., "The Dizzying Diversity of American Music." This eclectic trio (Mike Luehrman, Tony Shaffer and John Check) from the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg is known for the large arsenal of musical instruments they use to play a diverse variety of musical styles and genres. October Free Fridays and Brown Bag Lunch Programs sponsored by Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Co. Location: Arne. B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on the USD campus, corner of Clark & Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- State Chorus/Orchestra at Sioux Falls.
Saturday, October 29
- Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the small conference room.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI):?"Sing-a-long at the Nora Store," hosted by Mike Peterson, 7-9 p.m. For directions call Mike at 605-670-1455 or for more information, call 605-367-5226 or visit https://www.olliuc.org.
- State Chorus/Orchestra at Sioux Falls.
- Oral Interp: Lewis & Clark Festival, Yankton.
- Pillow Cleaning, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Vermillion Odd Fellows Hall, 1224 E. Cherry St. All types of bed pillows (feather, foam, down, fiber fill, etc.). Completely renovated and new ticking in the same day. Sponsored by Vermillion VFW Auxiliary.
SUNDAY, October 30
- Fall Choral Showcase: USD's Chamber Singers, Concert Choir and Men's and Women's Chorus join for their fall concert, 3 p.m. in Slagle Hall Aalfs Auditorium on USD campus. Open to the public at no charge.
- Moster Stomp: Community and campus wide Halloween party from 5-7 p.m. at the Native American Center on Clark St. Prizes for best costume and best carved pumpkin! Fun for all ages!
Monday, October 31
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Epsicopal Church, corner of Main & Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI), "Shakespeare's Henry the Fifth," course with USD English Dept., 3-5 p.m. at the W.H. Over Museum, Sletwold Hall. Limit 30. Call 605-367-5226 or visit https://www.olliuc.org for more information.
- Trick or Treat at Sanford Care Center, 4-5:30 p.m. Please use the main Care Center entrance at 125 Walker St.
Tuesday, November 1
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting, Noon-1 p.m., in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- Classes in Drawing, Painting & Printmaking for children K-6, 4:15-5:15 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center. Emphasis on the fundamentals of art form composition and color. For more information, contact Nancy Losacker (firstname.lastname@example.org), 605-659-5632 or Beth Knedler (email@example.com), 605-670-7940.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI): "The Greatest Pop Hits of the 18th Century England," with Mary Vickrey. Classes held Tuesdays through Nov. 8, 1-3 p.m. at W. H. Over Museum, Sletwold Hall. (Limit 20). Call 605-367-5226 or visit https://www.olliuc.org for more information.
- Department of Physics Lecture with Alan W.P. Poon from the Institute for Nuclear & Particle Astrophysics, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 7 p.m. Topic is "Solar Neutrinos. Location: Farber Hall.
Wednesday, November 2
- Grief Support Group sponsored by Sanford Heatlh, 5:30-7 p.m. in Sanford Vermillion Hospital Boardroom. Open to community members at no charge. To register or for more information, call Julie Harding at 605-638-8484.
- World-renowned organist David Higgs performs on the newly-refurbished Skinner organ in USD's Slagle Hall Aalfs Auditorium, 7:30 p.m. Event is open to the public at no charge.
- Schell Lecture featuring Dr. James Marten, professor of history, Marquette University, "A Generation Set Apart: Union Civil War Veterans and Northern Society," 7:30 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. Free and open to the public.
Thursday, November 3
- The Roadhouse, 911 E. Cherry St., will be hosting the Ed Meierkort/Touchdown Club, from noon-1 p.m. Ed, along with his staff, will show highlights from the previous week along with insights into the upcoming week's games. Event will run every Thursday during the USD Football season. Everyone is welcome!
- Overeaters Anonymous, 6:30 p.m., at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum — Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the small conference room.
- Grand opening Celebration at Vermillion Vision Clinic at their new location, 120 West Main Street, Noon-6 p.m. Come and see the at their new location and enjoy some refreshments and a RayBan and Steppers trunk show.
- Music recital with guest artist, Loraine Sims, soprano, 8 p.m. in the Colton Recital Hall in the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Free and open to the public.
- USD's Percussion Ensemble presents its winter concert, 8 p.m. in the Wayne S. Knutson Theatre at the Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Free and open to the public.
- NOV. 4 — Health and Product Fair, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at the Main Street Center. Bake sale, lunch, informational booths, mini seminars, prizes & drawings.
- NOV. 4 — Guest pianist Adam Golka in Recital, 8 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall in Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Adam Golka has been a frequent guest in Sioux Falls, where he has played on the Dakota Sky Concert Series and with the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra.
- NOV. 4 — Hospital Auxiliary Meeting, 2 p.m. at Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St.
- NOV. 5 — Holiday Vendor Blender, 4-H Center.
- NOV. 5 — Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum — Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the small conference room.
- NOV. 5 — Heartland Humane Society (HHS) to host Wine & Whiskers fundraising event, from 6-10 p.m. at the Hillcrest Country Club in Yankton. Tickets may be purchased by contacting the HHS, 605-664-4244 or any HHS board member.
- NOV. 6 — Voice Recital with Ashely Evelyn Mazur, mezzo-soprano, 3 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall, Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.