FRIDAY, November 4
- Health and Product Fair, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at the Main Street Center. Bake sale, lunch, informational booths, mini seminars, prizes & drawings.
- Guest pianist Adam Golka in Recital, 8 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall in Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Adam Golka has been a frequent guest in Sioux Falls, where he has played on the Dakota Sky Concert Series and with the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra.
- Hospital Auxiliary Meeting, 2 p.m. at Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St.
- Oral Interp at Sioux Falls O'Gorman.
Saturday, November 5
- Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the small conference room.
- Holiday Vendor Blender, 4-H Center.
- Heartland Humane Society (HHS) to host Wine & Whiskers fundraising event, from 6-10 p.m. at the Hillcrest Country Club in Yankton. Tickets may be purchased by contacting the HHS, 605-664-4244 or any HHS board member.
- "The Hay Country Jamboree," 8 p.m. at Gayville Hall. Call 605-267-2859 for additional information.
SUNDAY, November 6
- Voice Recital with Ashely Evelyn Mazur, mezzo-soprano, 3 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall, Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
- Valiant Vineyards Holiday Open House, 2-6 p.m. Holiday fun with cooking and wine demonstrations and wine and food pairing suggestions for the holidays. Hot spiced wine samples and more. Create your own South Dakota Holiday gift baskets. Kids cookie decorating will be available. Free-will donation for a local charity.
Monday, November 7
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Epsicopal Church, corner of Main & Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- Bug Jazz Concert, guest jazz ensemble Bug presents an evening of music, 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
- Lecture by Visiting Scholar Chemist John Straub, "A Lively Tour of the Periodic Table," 7:30 p.m. in the Beacom School of Business.
- "Goodbye Capitalism?" will be the topic of the Noon International Forum to be held in Farber Hall on the USD campus. Sponsored by the Beacom School of Business. Panelists include: Mike Myers (Law School), Norma Wilson (English/Peace & Justice Center) and Tom Emanuel (USD Truman Scholar). Moderator: Dr. Benno Wymar (Economics). Open to the public at no charge.
Tuesday, November 8
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting, Noon-1 p.m., in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- Classes in Drawing, Painting & Printmaking for children K-6, 4:15-5:15 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center. Emphasis on the fundamentals of art form composition and color. For more information, contact Nancy Losacker (firstname.lastname@example.org), 605-659-5632 or Beth Knedler (email@example.com), 605-670-7940.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI): "The Greatest Pop Hits of the 18th Century England," with Mary Vickrey. Classes held Tuesdays through Nov. 8, 1-3 p.m. at W. H. Over Museum, Sletwold Hall. (Limit 20). Call 605-367-5226 or visit https://www.olliuc.org for more information.
- ax Strategies, 5:30 p.m. at Minnehaha Country Club, 3101 W. 22nd St., Sioux Falls. Andrew R. Biebl, CPA, a tax principal with Larson Allen LLP, heads the firm's tas services group will discuss tax rate changes and the latest developments for individuals and businesses. RSVP: 605-977-9000. Sponsored by Security National Wealth Management.
- Economic Update, 5:30 p.m. at Stoney Creek Inn, 300 3rd St., Sioux City, Iowa. Guest speaker, Jason R. Henderson, vice president of the Omaha Branch executive with the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City will discuss the Midwest economy. RSVP: 712-277-6586. Sponsored by Security National Wealth Management.
- American Legion Wallace Post & Auxiliary meeting, 7 p.m. at the Main Street Center located at 320 Main Street.
Wednesday, November 9
- Community Supper Honoring our Veterans, 5-8 p.m. at the Vermillion Armory. Social hour begins at 5 p.m., opening ceremony at 5:30 p.m., dinner at 6 p.m. Help send Darrel Christopherson to the Pearl Harbor 70th anniversary memorial event. Darrel is one of six remaining Pearl Harbor survivors in South Dakota.
- The Pillars of the Earth movie Part 4 of 4 will be shown from 7-8:45 p.m. in the Community Room of the Vermillion Public Library. This epic of kings and peasants centers on the building of a magnificent church in 12-century England. Copies of the book are available at the Circulation Desk. Bergen Peterson, adjunct professor for USD Beacom School of Business, will be facilitating this discussion from 7-9 p.m. Nov. 17. Hot drinks and refreshments will be provided.
- Clay County Historic Preservation Commission meeting, 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Co., 116 Market St. Presentation by Dan Daily with TDG Communications on an exciting project that could bring South Dakota's history to life in Vermillion and other communities. "Picture Sotuh Dakota's Past," uses the newest smart phone technology to help visitors visualize Vermillion's past, its archetecture and its people. Imagine standing at the corner of East Main and Center streets while holding in your hand a 1901 photo of downtown Vermillion – an image that was captured in the exact spot where you are standing. With QR codes and smart phones or iPads, it's easy to do. Learn more about this project and funding opportunities. The meeting is open to the public and input is invited.
- USD Jazz Ensembles present their winter concert, 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. Open to the public at no charge.
Thursday, November 10
- The Roadhouse, 911 E. Cherry St., will be hosting the Ed Meierkort/Touchdown Club, from noon-1 p.m. Ed, along with his staff, will show highlights from the previous week along with insights into the upcoming week's games. Event will run every Thursday during the USD Football season. Everyone is welcome!
- Overeaters Anonymous, 6:30 p.m., at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum — Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the small conference room.
- Cancer Support Group meeting, 2:30 p.m. in the Sletwold Room at Trinity Lutheran Church, 816 E. Clark.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.