FRIDAY, December 16
- The Vermillion Area Dance Organization will hold an open house from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Studio VADO, 19 S. Plum Street (across from Sanford Vermillion). This event will include dance performances.
- National Music Museum (NMM) Brown Bag Lunch at 12:05 p.m. featuring Christmas with The Polka Professor. Audience favorites, Prof. John F. Check, concertina (Vermillion); Prof. John D. Check, tuba (University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg); Prof. Deborah Check Reeves , clarinet (USD); and Prof. Gary L. Reeves, horn (USD), return to center stage to ring in the season with a joyful Christmas polka-fest! Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on USD campus of Clark & Yale St. Free and open to the public. December's Free Friday Sponsor is CorTrust Bank!
- Annual Christmas Dinner at Main Street Center, 320 W. Main St., beginning at 5:15 p.m. Volunteers for serving the meal will be Friends & Supporters from Polaris. Advance tickets available by calling the Main Street Center at 605-624-8072.
- Debate, 11 a.m. in Brookings.
Saturday, December 17
- Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum – Administration entrance across from the Vermillion Clinic – take a right to the end of the hall - board room on the left.
- Winter Commencement: USD's 36th Winter Commencement, 10 a.m. in the DakotaDome.
- Debate, 8 a.m. in Brookings.
- Winter Formal Dance, from 8:30-11 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
Wednesday, December 21
- Preservation Wednesdays presented by Clay County Historical Preservation Commission & Clay County Historical Society, 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. John Erikson will present "Picture Framing." Free and open to the public.
- JAN. 4-6 — Dakota Farm Show, USD DakotaDome.
- JAN. 8 — Pancake Sunday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., at Main Street Center, 320 Main St.
- JAN. 16 — Vermillion Community Martin Luther King Day of Service. USD students will finish over 20 projects for non-profits and individuals with the help of community volunteers. To help provide supplies, offer monetary donations, or to send employees to help with the MLK Day of Service, visit http://tinyurl.com/USDMLK to pre-register. At this site, one has the option of taking part in service, a hunger banquet, or both. Event check-in begins at 12 p.m. and participants are asked to bring a non-perishable food item to donate to the Vermillion Food Pantry. Service projects begin at 1 p.m.; Hunger Banquet at 5:30 p.m.
- JAN. 17 — Martin Luther King Day keynote speaker, Bryant Terry, at 7 p.m. in MUC Ballroom.
- MARCH 23-24 & 30-31 — Schmeckfest in Freeman. For more information, visit www.schmeckfest.com, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605-925-4542.
- JULY 16-AUG. 12 — Olympic/Educational Tour. A once in a lifetime trip to Ireland, Great Britain and the Summer 2012 Olympics in London. For more information, contact Lenni Billberg at email@example.com or 605-670-2717.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.