FRIDAY, December 23
• Christmas Vacation at Vermillion Public School through Jan. 3.
Monday, December 26
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main & Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
Tuesday, december 27
- Vermillion Rotary Club, noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- JAN. 4-6 — Dakota Farm Show, USD DakotaDome.
- JAN. 6 — Hospital Auxiliary Meeting, 2 p.m. at the Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St.
- JAN. 8 — Pancake Sunday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., at Main Street Center, 320 Main St.
- JAN. 12 — Cancer Support Group meeting, 2:30 p.m. in the Sletwold Room at Trinity Lutheran Church, 816 E. Clark St. For additional information, call Marcy at 624-8706.
- JAN. 16 — Vermillion Community Martin Luther King Day of Service. USD students will finish over 20 projects for non-profits and individuals with the help of community volunteers. To help provide supplies, offer monetary donations, or to send employees to help with the MLK Day of Service, visit http://tinyurl.com/USDMLK to pre-register. At this site, one has the option of taking part in service, a hunger banquet, or both. Event check-in begins at 12 p.m. and participants are asked to bring a non-perishable food item to donate to the Vermillion Food Pantry. Service projects begin at 1 p.m.; Hunger Banquet at 5:30 p.m.
- JAN. 17 — Martin Luther King Day keynote speaker, Bryant Terry, at 7 p.m. in MUC Ballroom.
- JAN. 18 — International Forum, "Stop Canadian Oil?" at noon in Farber Hall located in Old Main on the USD campus. Should we stop Canadian oil from entering the U.S. via a pipeline? Canada is already our No. 1 source of foreign oil. Would the new pipeline not provide additional jobs and annual revenues (both private and public) for South Dakota and other states? Are pipelines the safest way to transport oil? Is it time to consider a carbon tax on all sources of energy? Panelists: Dr. Howard Coker (Chemistry), Dr. Dennis Johnson (Economics) and Dr. Benno Wymar (Economics. Moderator: Richard Muller (Marketing and former S.D. Public TV on-air host). Hosted by Beacom School of Business.
- JAN. 21 — Vermillion Area Farmer's Market at Clay County Extension Building, 515 High St. The Winter Market includes fresh and preserved produce, local meats, crafts, woodworking, knife sharpening, breads and other baked goods.
- MARCH 23-24 & 30-31 — Schmeckfest in Freeman. For more information, visit www.schmeckfest.com, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605-925-4542.
- JULY 16-AUG. 12 — Olympic/Educational Tour. A once in a lifetime trip to Ireland, Great Britain and the Summer 2012 Olympics in London. For more information, contact Lenni Billberg at email@example.com or 605-670-2717.
- JULY 20-23 — Vermillion Community Theatre presents the Broadway musical, "Annie" at 7 p.m. July 20, 21 and 23 and 2 p.m. July 22. All performances will be at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. See vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.