FRIDAY, December 9
- National Music Museum (NMM) Brown Bag Lunch Program, 12:05 p.m. featuring S.D. Holiday Brass Quintet at the Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on the USD campus, corner of Clark & Yale St. Free and open to the public.
- Music Recital with USD Composer's Forum: USD student and faculty composers share their creations in an evening of music, 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. This event is open to the public at no charge.
Saturday, December 10
- Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum – Administration entrance across from the Vermillion Clinic – take a right to the end of the hall - board room on the left.
- "Sweets & Treats," sponsored by Clay County Historical Society, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Austin Whittemore House. Select Christmas treats from a large selection of homemade desserts.
- The Yankton Area Literacy Council will host children readings by Ms. Santa at the Vermillion Public Library from 1:30-3 p.m. The children will also be receiving free story books compliments of the YACL.
- The 34th Annual Celebration of the St. Lucia Tradition in Dalesburg at 3 p.m. at Dalesburg Lutheran Church.
- Music Recital: USD's Truran Scholars present a recital, 7:30 p.m. in the Colton Recital Hall at the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. This event is open to the public at no charge.
- USD Theatre Department's End of Term Showcase: A Showcase of student work from performance classes, featuring musical theatre songs, dances and scenes in the format of a delightful variety show, 7:30 p.m. in Slagle Hall Aalfs Auditorium. No admission, but donations will help support student research and participation in a New York Showcase.
- ACT Test, 8 a.m. at Vermillion High School.
- Heartland Humane Society "Meet & Greet" dogs up for adoption. Join HHS from 10 a.m.-noon at the Alcoa 4-H Center and Arena located at 902 Whiting Drive in Yankton. Animals will be available for adoption and the dogs and puppies from foster care will be available to meet as well. In addition, the shelter will be open from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. to view or adopt cats. For more information, contact Heartland Humane Society at 605-664-4244 or email email@example.com. You can check all the animals up for adoption at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net.
- The Vermillion Area Arts Council will be having a Holiday Celebration with Sharing the Dream from 6-9 p.m. at the Arts Center, 202 Washington St. Photos will be displayed by Sioux Falls artist Denny Pearson, photographer for the book, "Stories of Survival," written by Laura Wilson about the Sharing the Dream elders in Guatemala. The evening will also feature Latin jazz and a variety of hors d'oevres, desserts and drinks.
- "Ugly Sweater Contest" at Pro's Bar and Grill. Judging starts at 10 p.m. For more information, call 624-2657.
Sunday, December 11
- Sharing the Dream in Guatemala will host an open house from 1-4 p.m. at the store 10 W. Main St. Guatemalan coffee and sweets will be available and there will be extra sales.
- USD's Dr. Holly Haddad presents her clarinet studio in recital at 4 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall at USD Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
Monday, December 12
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main & Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- Vermillion High School Holiday Concert at 7:30 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
Tuesday, December 13
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting, Noon-1 p.m., in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- Sixth Grade Winter Concert at 7 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
Wednesday, December 14
- Heartland Humane Society "Meet & Greet" dogs up for adoption. Join HHS from 6-7:30 p.m. near the Santa Pictures station at the Yankton Mall. Families will be able to do animal photos with Santa that night from 6-8 p.m., and HHS will be there showcasing some of their animals. Proceeds from the pictures that night will benefit HHS. For more information, contact Heartland Humane Society at 605-664-4244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can check all the animals up for adoption at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net.
- DEC. 15 — First Dakota National Bank hosting a Holiday Open Hoiuse from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at 111 Court St., Vermillion. Hot apple cider, coffee and holiday treats will be available. To celebrate the holiday season the bank will be giving away $100 of Vermilion Buks! Stop in to register.
- DEC. 15 — Music Recital: Kate Mathews presents her senior double bass recital, 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall at USD Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
- DEC. 16 — The Vermillion Area Dance Organization will hold an open house from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Studio VADO, 19 S. Plum Street (across from Sanford Vermillion). This event will include dance performances.
- DEC. 16 — National Music Museum (NMM) Brown Bag Lunch at 12:05 p.m. featuring Christmas with The Polka Professor. Audience favorites, Prof. John F. Check, concertina (Vermillion); Prof. John D. Check, tuba (University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg); Prof. Deborah Check Reeves , clarinet (USD); and Prof. Gary L. Reeves, horn (USD), return to center stage to ring in the season with a joyful Christmas polka-fest! Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on USD campus of Clark & Yale St. Free and open to the public. December's Free Friday Sponsor is CorTrust Bank!
- DEC. 16 — Annual Christmas Dinner at Main Street Center, 320 W. Main St., beginning at 5:15 p.m. Volunteers for serving the meal will be Friends & Supporters from Polaris. Advance tickets available by calling the Main Street Center at 605-624-8072.
- DEC. 17 — Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital, 20 S. Plum – Administration entrance across from the Vermillion Clinic – take a right to the end of the hall - board room on the left.
- DEC. 17 — Winter Commencement: USD's 36th Winter Commencement, 10 a.m. in the DakotaDome.
- DEC. 21 — Preservation Wednesdays presented by Clay County Historical Preservation Commission & Clay County Historical Society, 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. John Erikson will present "Picture Framing." Free and open to the public.
- JAN. 4-6 — Dakota Farm Show, USD DakotaDome.
- MARCH 23-24 & 30-31 — Schmeckfest in Freeman. For more information, visit www.schmeckfest.com, e-mail: email@example.com or call 605-925-4542.
- JULY 16-AUG. 12 — Olympic/Educational Tour. A once in a lifetime trip to Ireland, Great Britain and the Summer 2012 Olympics in London. For more information, contact Lenni Billberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-670-2717.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.