Saturday, December 31
- Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance – board room. Description: Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles. The group meets every Saturday.
Monday, January 2
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main & Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
Wednesday, January 4
- Dakota Farm Show, USD DakotaDome.
- Booster Club Meeting, 6:30 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
- Victory Over Stroke from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion (Administration Entrance – Board Room). Description: Seeking support from others who've experienced stroke can be a huge benefit to the recovery process. Stroke groups provide an opportunity to share feelings, ideas, resources and often provide important education for survivors and caregivers alike. Stroke Support Group meets the first Wednesday of every month. Contact Kim Reins, speech language pathologist at 638-8380 for more information.
thursday, January 5
- Dakota Farm Show, USD DakotaDome.
- JAN. 6 — Dakota Farm Show, USD DakotaDome.
- JAN. 6 — Hospital Auxiliary Meeting, 2 p.m. at the Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St.
- JAN. 7 — Debate: Central Forensics Conference at Brandon Valley High School at 8 a.m.
- JAN. 7 — Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance – board room. Description: Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles. The group meets every Saturday.
- JAN. 8 — Pancake Sunday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., at Main Street Center, 320 Main St.
- JAN. 10 — Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting, noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- JAN. 12 — Cancer Support Group meeting, 2:30 p.m. in the Sletwold Room at Trinity Lutheran Church, 816 E. Clark St. For additional information, call Marcy at 624-8706.
- JAN. 12 — Prenatal Childbirth Classes, 7-9 p.m. at 20 S. Plum Street, Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Description: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center is offering free childbirth classes for expectant mothers. Classes will be held Jan. 12, 19 and 26 (breastfeeding only). Participants are encouraged to attend all three nights as different subjects will be covered each night. The class topics are as follows: Labor and Delivery, Breathing, Relaxation and Massage, and LDRP Tours; Pain Control Options, C-sections, Special Considerations, Post-partum; and Newborn Care; Breastfeeding will be covered during the third class. There is no charge to attend. Participants should bring a doll or stuffed animal to the third class if you want to participate in breastfeeding practice. To register, call Jill at Sanford Medical Center at 638-8465 or email@example.com.
- JAN. 16 — Vermillion Community Martin Luther King Day of Service. USD students will finish over 20 projects for non-profits and individuals with the help of community volunteers. To help provide supplies, offer monetary donations, or to send employees to help with the MLK Day of Service, visit http://tinyurl.com/USDMLK to pre-register. At this site, one has the option of taking part in service, a hunger banquet, or both. Event check-in begins at 12 p.m. and participants are asked to bring a non-perishable food item to donate to the Vermillion Food Pantry. Service projects begin at 1 p.m.; Hunger Banquet at 5:30 p.m.
- JAN. 17 — Martin Luther King Day keynote speaker, Bryant Terry, at 7 p.m. in MUC Ballroom.
- JAN. 18 — International Forum, "Stop Canadian Oil?" at noon in Farber Hall located in Old Main on the USD campus. Should we stop Canadian oil from entering the U.S. via a pipeline? Canada is already our No. 1 source of foreign oil. Would the new pipeline not provide additional jobs and annual revenues (both private and public) for South Dakota and other states? Are pipelines the safest way to transport oil? Is it time to consider a carbon tax on all sources of energy? Panelists: Dr. Howard Coker (Chemistry), Dr. Dennis Johnson (Economics) and Dr. Benno Wymar (Economics. Moderator: Richard Muller (Marketing and former S.D. Public TV on-air host). Hosted by Beacom School of Business.
- JAN. 19 — Book Blab will be held from 6-8 p.m. in the Community Room of the Vermillion Public Library. This is the fifth year adult readers will share favorite authors and books and discover some new ones with other book lovers.
- JAN. 21 — Vermillion Area Farmer's Market at Clay County Extension Building, 515 High St. The Winter Market includes fresh and preserved produce, local meats, crafts, woodworking, knife sharpening, breads and other baked goods.
- JAN. 21 — Fun and Games will be held from 1- 4 p.m. in the Community Room of the Vermillion Public Library. Adults and youth ages 12 and up will play games and put jigsaw puzzles together. A wide variety of challenging and interesting games and puzzles will be available to provide mental stimulation. Learn or show others how to play Dominos, our newest game that offers a variety of game options. Drinks and snacks will be provided.
- FEB. 11 — SAVE?THE?DATE: Community Health & Wellness Fair hosted by Sanford Vermillion in collaboration with USD Health Professions program students at the Sanford School of Medicine. More details to come!
- MARCH 23-24 & 30-31 — Schmeckfest in Freeman. For more information, visit www.schmeckfest.com, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605-925-4542.
- JULY 16-AUG. 12 — Olympic/Educational Tour. A once in a lifetime trip to Ireland, Great Britain and the Summer 2012 Olympics in London. For more information, contact Lenni Billberg at email@example.com or 605-670-2717.
- JULY 20-23 — Vermillion Community Theatre presents the Broadway musical, "Annie" at 7 p.m. July 20, 21 and 23 and 2 p.m. July 22. All performances will be at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. See vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.