Friday, February 10
- National Music Museum (NMM) Brown Bag Lunch Progra, "Black Elk Sings," 12:05 pm. at Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on USD campus, corner of Clark & Yale streets. Free and open to the public. February program sponsor: Clay County.
Saturday, February 11
- Community Health & Wellness Fair, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Lee Medicine Building, USD campus. Take part in Shake the Shaker cooking demonstrations 10 a.m. and noon; Learn to reduce your sodium today; Know your numbers; Blood pressure, blood sugar, body mass index, many screenings available throughout the day; Gather health information throughout the fair; and Kids take part, too! Supervised activity room is available during the fair. Hosted by Sanford Vermillion in collaboration with USD Health Professions program students at the Sanford School of Medicine. 9
- Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance – board room. Description: Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles. The group meets every Saturday.
- ACT Test, 8 a.m. at Vermillion High school.
- Debate, 8 a.m. at Harrisburg.
- National Music Museum (NMM) all-day Gamelan Workshop at NMM, located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets.
- Blood Drive at USD Med School Heatlh Fair, 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. For more information, call 877-877-3070 or visit www.cbblifeblood.org.
- First annual Vermillion Booster Club Basketball Tournament, from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Seventh and eighth grade boys and girls basketball tournament at the Vermillion High School and Middle School.
- Forum: Celebrate Darwin Day – a birthday party and more from 3:30-5:30 p.m. at USD Union Building, 400m 321. This event is free and open the public.
Sunday, February 12
- National Music Museum (NMM) Evening Concert: "The Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps Baroque Trumpet Ensemble," at 7:30 p.m. in Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets.
- 2012 Relay for Life of Clay County & USD, from 1-5 p.m. at the USD DakotaDome. Doors open at 12 p.m.; opening ceremony at 1 p.m. For more information or to sign up, go to www.relayforlife.org/usd.
- USD Symphonic Band and Guests in Concert: The Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps from Ft. Meyer, Va., joins the USD Symphonic Band in an afternoon of music from 1:30-4 p.m. in USD Slagle Hall Aalfs Auditorium. Open to the public at no charge.
monday, February 13
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main & Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- South Dakota Shakespeare Festival Auditions, 6-9 p.m. at USD Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts, Arena Theatre. The festival is seeking professional actors, actor/musicians and teaching artists from the Great Plains region to form an ensemble-based Shakespeare company for a four-week contract in Vermillion. Performances:?June 8-10. All positions are paid. To schedule an appointment, call 605-622-0423 or visit: www.sdshakespearefestival.org.
- "Is War with Iran Inevitable?" will be the topic of the next monthly International Forum at 12 p.m. in Farber Hall located in Old Main on USD campus. Panelists include: Col. Damian Donahoe (USD Military Science, who returned last July from a one year assignment to Afghanistan), Dr. Benno Wymar (Economics, who worked as a civilian for about three years in Afghanistan, Iran & Saudi Arabia). Moderator: Dean Tom Sorensen (USD Law School & former host of "South Dakota Forum" (S.D. Public Radio). The event is sponsored by the (USD) Beacom School of Business and (as for the past 25 years) open to the public at no charge.
Tuesday, February 14
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting, noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- South Dakota Shakespeare Festival Auditions, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Augustana College Theater, Sioux Falls. The festival is seeking professional actors, actor/musicians and teaching artists from the Great Plains region to form an ensemble-based Shakespeare company for a four-week contract in Vermillion. Performances:?June 8-10. All positions are paid. To schedule an appointment, call 605-274-5065, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.sdshakespearefestival.org.
- American Legion Wallace Post & Auxiliary meeting at 7 p.m. at the Main Street Center at 320 W. Main St.
- Tom Kramer: Bass Trombone Recital, 7 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall in Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts.
thursday, February 16
- Vermillion Garden Club: Please join us for Gardening Month by Month in 2012. February Meeting is 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Topic: Attracting birds in the winter, what to plant in February for the summer garden and cold frame construction. Open to all, snacks and coffee available. No dues. Call 624-3520 for more information.
- FEB. 17 — National Music Museum (NMM) Brown Bag Lunch Program, "Woody Music," at 12:05 p.m. at Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on USD campus, corner of Clark & Yale streets. Free and open to the public. Febuary program sponsor: Clay County.
- FEB. 18 — Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance – board room. Description: Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles. The group meets every Saturday.
- FEB. 18 — Vermillion Area Farmer's Market, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Clay County Extension Building, 515 High St.
- FEB. 20 — No School: President's Day.
- FEB. 21 — Spring 2012 Citizens Academy (February-March). The City of Vermillion will be hosting a Citizens Academy in February-March for citizens over the age of 18. This is an exciting opportunity for you to learn more about the City of Vermillion and its government. There will be five weekly sessions followed by graduation. The sessions will be three long hours on Tuesday nights with a half-hour meal break. Class size is limited, so apply today. Applications are available via the "Inside Vermillion Links," on our homepage or available for pickup at City Hall. Submit applications to: email@example.com or drop it off at City Hall, 25 Center Street. The dates for the program are 5 p.m. Feb. 21, 28, March 13, 20, 27. For an application visit: http://vermillion.us/documents/home_links/2012%20Citizens%Academy%20Application.doc
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.