Friday, February 3
- Hospital Auxiliary Meeting, 2 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Care Center Dining Room, 125 Walker St.
- National Music Museum (NMM) Brown Bag Lunch Program:?"Grafted into the Army: Music of the American Civil War," at 12:05 p.m. February program sponsor: Clay County. Location: Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM, located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
Saturday, February 4
- Cracker Barrel session, 10 a.m.-noon at City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center Street, Vermillion.
- Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance – board room. Description: Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles. The group meets every Saturday.
- Heartland Humane Society Meet and Greet, from 10 a.m.-noon at the Alcoa 4-H Center and Ice Arena located at 902 Whiting Drive in Yankton. The community is invited to meet dogs for adoption. The shelter at 601 1/2 Burleigh St. in Yankton will also be open from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. to view or adopt cats and kittens.
monday, February 6
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main & Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
Tuesday, February 7
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting, noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
Thursday, February 9
- Cancer Support Group meeting, 2:30 p.m. in Sletwold Room at Trinity Lutheran Church, 816 E. Clark St. For more information, call Marcy at 624-8706.
- FEB. 10 — National Music Museum (NMM) all-day Gamelan Workshop at NMM, located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets.
- FEB. 11 — Community Health & Wellness Fair, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Lee Medicine Building, USD campus. Take part in Shake the Shaker cooking demonstrations 10 a.m. and noon; Learn to reduce your sodium today; Know your numbers; Blood pressure, blood sugar, body mass index, many screenings available throughout the day; Gather health information throughout the fair; and Kids take part, too! Supervised activity room is available during the fair. Hosted by Sanford Vermillion in collaboration with USD Health Professions program students at the Sanford School of Medicine. 9
- FEB. 11 — Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m., 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance – board room. Description: Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles. The group meets every Saturday.
- FEB. 12 — National Music Museum (NMM) Evening Concert: "The Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps Baroque Trumpet Ensemble," at 7:30 p.m. in Arne B. Larson Concert Hall at the NMM located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets.
- FEB. 13 — South Dakota Shakespeare Festival Auditions, 6-9 p.m. at USD Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts, Arena Theatre. The festival is seeking professional actors, actor/musicians and teaching artists from the Great Plains region to form an ensemble-based Shakespeare company for a four-week contract in Vermillion. Performances:?June 8-10. All positions are paid. To schedule an appointment, call 605-622-0423 or visit: www.sdshakespearefestival.org.
- FEB. 14 — South Dakota Shakespeare Festival Auditions, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Augustana College Theater, Sioux Falls. The festival is seeking professional actors, actor/musicians and teaching artists from the Great Plains region to form an ensemble-based Shakespeare company for a four-week contract in Vermillion. Performances:?June 8-10. All positions are paid. To schedule an appointment, call 605-274-5065, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.sdshakespearefestival.org.
- FEB. 14 — American Legion Wallace Post & Auxiliary meeting at 7 p.m. at the Main Street Center at 320 W. Main St.
- FEB. 16 — Vermillion Garden Club: Please join us for Gardening Month by Month in 2012. February Meeting is 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Topic: Attracting birds in the winter, what to plant in February for the summer garden and cold frame construction. Open to all, snacks and coffee available. No dues. Call 624-3520 for more information.
- FEB. 18 — Vermillion Area Farmer's Market, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Clay County Extension Building, 515 High St.
- FEB. 22-26 — USD Theatre presents, "Top Girls," 7:30 p.m. Feb. 22-5 and 7 p.m. Feb. 26 in the Knutson Theatre at the USD Fine Arts Building. Ticket information: www.usd.edu/theatre or call 677-5400.
- FEB. 25 — Fun and Games from 1-4 p.m. in the Community Room of the Vermillion Public Library. Adults and youth ages 12 and up will play board games and put together jigsaw puzzles. A wide variety of challenging and interesting games and puzzles will be available to provide mental stimulation. Learn or show others how to play Blurt, a popular vocabulary-building game. Drinks and snacks will be provided.
- FEB. 25 — Cracker Barrel Session, 10 a.m.-noon at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center Street, Vermillion.
- FEB. 27 — The Alzheimer and Memory Loss Caregiver Support Group sponsored by the S.D.?Alzheimer's Association will meet at 7 p.m. at the Vermillion Public Library. Contact persons: Fern Kaufman, 605-624-4898 or Marilyn Abraham, 605-934-2534.
- FEB. 29 — Celebrity Chef Robert Hesse (as seen on "Hell's Kitchen") and Café Brulé serve a world-class six-course dinner with wine at Café Brulé. Two seatings at 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Proceeds go to benefit Domestic Violence Safe Options Services. Call 605-659-4933 for tickets.
- MARCH 23-24 & 30-31 — Schmeckfest in Freeman. For more information, visit www.schmeckfest.com, e-mail: email@example.com or call 605-925-4542.
- JUNE 8-10 — First annual Shakespeare Festival in Prentis Park, Vermillion. Event sponsored by Coyoteopoly and is free and open to the public.
- JUNE 22 — Dalesburg Midsummer Festival – A Celebration of Scandinavian and Rural Heritage. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 605-670-2717.
- JULY 16-AUG. 12 — Olympic/Educational Tour. A once in a lifetime trip to Ireland, Great Britain and the Summer 2012 Olympics in London. For more information, contact Lenni Billberg at email@example.com or 605-670-2717.
- JULY 20-23 — Vermillion Community Theatre presents the Broadway musical, "Annie" at 7 p.m. July 20, 21 and 23 and 2 p.m. July 22. All performances will be at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. See vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
- AUG. 25-26 — The Great Dakota Wine Fest at Valian Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St. Cooking with wine demonstrations, live music and more. Visit www.greatdakotawinefest.com.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.