Friday, May 11
- VAST?Middle School Dance from 7-9 p.m. at the Armory, 603 Princeton St. Sponsored by Vermillion Area Swim Team (www.VASTSD.com).
Saturday, May 12
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: 20 S. Plum St, Administration entrance, board room. Overeasters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Heartland Humane Society Animal Fair: Heartland Humane Society will hold their Animal Fair at Riverside Park in Yankton. This is an annual fundraiser that includes activities for every member of the family – even the four-legged ones. The walk/run registration begins at 9:30 a.m. and the walk starts at 10 a.m. Pet contests, including owner-pet look-a-like, most unusual pet, best-dressed pet and best pet trick will be held at the amphitheatre at 11:45 a.m. The animal fair will also showcase demontrations by the local K-9 police unit, 4-H group and a basic obedience overview. There will be food and over 20 vendors onsite from 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m. A variety of animals will also be in attendance including miniature horses and a camel. More information on all the events can be found online at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. For additional information, contact the shelter at 664-4244 or stop by 601 1/2 Burleigh.
- Plant Sale: The Eagles Auxiliary, in conjunction with Kristy Bothwell of Rosewood Greenhouse, will be selling blooming potted plants (three per container) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Eagles Club, 114 West Main St. in Vermillion. Proceeds from plant sales will benefit local charities. Don't miss out on this opportunity to help others and to also get an excellent Mother's Day gift for that special someone in your life!
Sunday, May 13
- "Dreams Really Do Come True … Vermillion Area Dance Organization's Cinderella Story," 2012 Spring Dance Recital, set for 2 p.m. at the Vermillion High School Auditorium. Cost $4 for adults and $2 for schoolage children. Come and see what Vermillion Area Dance Organization is all about and enjoy an afternoon of dance. The dancers range from ages 2 years old through adults.
monday, May 14
- Al-anon meeting, 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
Tuesday, may 15
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting, noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- MAY 19 — Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: 20 S. Plum St, Administration entrance, board room. Overeasters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- MAY 19 — Gayville Hall presents "A Celebration of Woody Guthrie," in honor of Woody's upcoming 100th birthday at 8 p.m. Location: Gayville, SD, 402 Washington St. For ticket info, call 605-267-2859.
- MAY 20 — French Toast Breakfast Fundraiser: The St. Agnes Youth Group is having their fundraiser from 9-10:30 a.m. at the St. Agnes gym. This is an all-you-can-eat breakfast with a free-will offering taken at the door. The money raised will help with expenses for youth group summer trip to Minnesota for a baseball game and Valley Fair. Call Ray Hofman at 605-624-6457 for more information. Catholic United will provide matching funds.
- MAY 21 — Eastern Star Salad Luncheon, 11:30-1:30 p.m. at the Masonic Temple, 7 W. Main St. Public welcome. $6.
- MAY 24 — Poppy Day! American Legion Auxiliary will distribute the familiar, red handcrafted poppies honoring America's war dead on this day, designated as Poppy Day by Wallace American Legion Auxiliary Unit in Vermillion.
- MAY 24 — Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) sponsored by The Department of Labor and Regulation will be held in Vermillion from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 W. Cherry St. The JSAP is designed to assist and train job seekers on how to find and secure employment. Some of the topics included are job search and retention skills, networking, the hidden job market, resumes, applications and proper interview techniques. It is provided at no charge and open to the public. Parties interested in attending should register by calling 605-677-6900, by Tuesday, May 22, before 5 p.m. For more information, visit www.sdjobs.org.
- MAY 26-27 — 2012 South Dakota Kayak Challenge. Event covers more than 70 miles on the Missouri River, beginning in Yankton and ending in Sioux City. Participants can paddle kayaks or canoes as solo racers or in tandem teams. A complete set of rules, FAQs and route information is available at event Web site: http://sdkayakchallenge.org/ or contact Jarett Bies at firstname.lastname@example.org or Steven Dahlmeier at email@example.com. Volunteers are needed for manning four checkpoints along the race (run binoculars, cell phones, check off participants etc.) Other volunteer duties include shoot photos and/or video of river route prior to event, act as scouts and spotters in boats or on land during the race. To volunteer, go to the Web site and complete form or contact Jarret or Steve at e-mails listed above.
- JUNE 2 — Annual "Attic Treasures" rummage sale at the Austin-Whittemore House, 8 a.m.-noon. Sponsored by the Clay County Historical Society. Bring donated items to the AW House during the week. Clothing or furniture cannot be accepted.
- JUNE 2 — Nebraska Rod & Custom Association will be bringing their car show to Vermillion. There will be approximately 300 cars at the DakotaDome parking lot from noon-2 p.m. before they continue on their travels. Cookout lunch (burger/hot dog, chips, potato salad, cookie, beverage) will be available for purchase, so plan to come out and enjoy lunch and view the classic cars!
- JUNE 2 — Celebrate Rhubarb Day will be held at the W.H. Over Museum from 2-3:30 p.m. Taste good rhubarb concoctions and take part in some fun activities. Free-will donation requested.
- JUNE 8-10 — First annual Shakespeare Festival in Prentis Park, Vermillion. Event sponsored by Coyoteopoly and is free and open to the public.
- JUNE 9 — 2012 H-WORTH?OPEN to be held in memory of Matthew Hollingsworth at the Bluffs Golf Course. Shotgun start to begin at 1 p.m. All proceeds will go to the Clay County EMS Department. This is a four-person scramble that includes 18 holes of golf, catered BBQ and prizes. Sign up by contacting the Bluffs Club House at 605-677-7058.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.