Two more individuals and four more relay runners qualified for the state track meet when Vermillion competed in the Region 4A meet in Beresford last Thursday.
Joining previous qualifiers on the long trek to today's Class "A" preliminaries at Spearfish and Saturday's finals at Rapid City will be Nathan Ford, who won the 3200-meter run in 11:09.70 and Andrew Kost, who came in second in the 110-meter hurdles in :16.30.
Also going west will be the Tanagers' 4×100-meter relay team, which took advantage of a dropped baton by Harrisburg to place second in their race in :50.27. Running on that team are Josh Manning, Miguel Piper, Kyle Weiss and Alex Robertson.
Tanager relay teams also won the boys 4×400 relay in 3:33.40 and the boys medley relay in 3:47.40, but VHS had already qualified for state in both of those events.
Nick Jensen and Will Mart had previously qualified in the discus and Jensen in the shot put. Aaron Ruhaak, Colin Olson and J.T. Sorensen had already qualified in the 200-meter dash. Austin Krier had earlier qualified in the 800, but he won't run that event at state, opting instead to be used in the Tanagers' relay races.
Dylan Fischbach will roll his way down the home stretch in the wheelchair 100-meter dash at state. He finished that event in :18.43 at the regional and the 400-meter wheelchair race in 1:15.60. At state, however, they have only the 100-meter event for wheelchair contestants.
VHS had no new state qualifiers in girls' events at the regional. Val Moos was second in the 100-meter hurdles in :15.25 but had earlier qualified. So had Beth Szymonski and Stacy Hirsch in the discus where Szymonski won at 116'10" and Hirsch was next at 113'11". Mackenzie Huber won the regional pole vault at 9'4", an event for which she had already qualified.
Moos will also compete in the 300-meter hurdles, Szymonski in the shot put and VHS teams in the girls 4×400 and medley relays. Making the trip as relay runners will be Courtney Johnson, Megan Olson, Paige Olson, Sydney Peters and Alyssa VanderLaan.
Other VHS results at the regional meet:
- 200m dash: Olson fifth, :24.20; Ruhaak, eighth, :24.70; Sorensen ninth, :24.80.
- 800m run: Stetson Kastengren 11th, 2:24.20.
- 1600m run: Ford fourth, 5:15.31.
- 300m hurdles: Kost fifth, :45.50.
- Shot put: Jensen second, 48'10"; Mart fifth, 43'.
- Discus:" Mart second, 133'3"; Jensen fourth, 127'1".
- High jump: Robertson third, 5'7".
- Long jump: Robertson eighth, 18'3"; Jay Munger tenth, 17'5 1/2".
- Triple jump: Munger seventh, 35'2 1'2".
- 100m dash: Haley Freidel 11th, :13.52.
- 200m dash: Johnson ninth, :30.40; Allie Mockler 17th, :33.90.
- 400m dash: Grace Olson 11th, 1:12.98; Mockler 13th, 1:15.63.
- 800m run: VanderLaan eighth, 2:45.00.
- 1600m run: VanderLaan seventh, 6:19.70.
- 300m hurdles: Moos seventh, :50.30.
- 4×400 relay: VHS third, 4:17.10.
- 4×800 relay: VHS fifth, 12:34.61.
- Medley relay: VHS fourth, 4:37.10.
- Shot put: Szymonski third, 36'5"; Kayla Miller 21st, 25'6".