Saturday, August 25
• Move-in Day at USD.
- Overeaters Anonymous at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- AUG. 25-26 – The Great Dakota Wine Fest at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St. Cooking with wine demonstrations, live music and more. Visit www.greatdakotawinefest.com.
sunday, August 26
- The annual Pancake Fly-In Breakfast sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club and Main Street Center at the Vermillion Airport. Pancakes, sausages and beverages will be served from 8 am-12 p.m. in the airport hangar. Proceeds to benefit The Main Street Center.
- Come grab a hotdog and chips before the start of the Women's Soccer game, at 11:30 a.m. at the DaotaDome Soccer Field. Make sure to wear a USD shirt, the first 50 students in a shirt get a free USD scarf.
monday, August 27
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- Open House at Middle School, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, August 28
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
WEDNESDAY, AUGust 29
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) to sponsor, "Wine & Cheese Hors d'oeuvres Party," at Lumo Studio & Gallery, 2 E. Main St. from 5-6:30 p.m. OLLI is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing all kinds of educational opportunities geared to people age 50 & up. There are no grades or tests and there is no pressure. It is learning for the fun of it!
- Ice Cream Social sponsored by Catholics Daughters from 5-7 p.m. at St. Agnes Auditorium (Taverns, chips & pie also served). Free-will offering with proceeds to go to St. Agnes School.
Thursday, August 30
- USD's Music Faculty presents a concert to returning students and the public, at 11 a.m. at Colton Recital Hall in the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. There is no charge for this event.
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market from 3-7 p.m. at the Clay County Fairgrounds.
- SEPT. 1 — Vermillion Area Farmers Maket, 9 a.m.-noon downtown Vermillion at the Platz, Market & Main St.
- SEPT. 1 — Overeaters Anonymous, 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- SEPT. 7 — Hospital Auxiliary Meeting, 2 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Board Room, 20 S. Plum, Administrative entrance.
- SEPT. 7-8 – Ribs, Rods and Rock 'n Roll knows how to host a BBQ! We boast the largest KCBS sanctioned State BBQ Championship in SD! Get ready for two fun-filled days on FRIDAY AND SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 7 and 8 in downtown Vermillion! Come out for great BBQ, beer garden, live music (The Rude Band, Go Figure, and more), sidewalk vendors, family fun area, Classic Car and Cycle Show, motorcycle Poker Run, USD Coyote Pep Rally on Friday, Coyote football home opener at the Dome on Saturday, People's Choice judging of wings and pork loin, and more! Combo ticket to both USD game and Ribs, Rods and Rock 'n Roll will be available at a reduced price. Watch for more details and go to www.sdbbq.us.
- SEPT. 9-15 — Vermillion Area Quilt Show at W.H. Over Museum, 1110 N. University, Vermillion. Quilts past and present by area quilters. Sept. 9-14 from 1-4 p.m., Sept. 15 from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. there will be vendors and hospitality room. Displays of barn quilts, decorative needle stitching and care of quilts will be on the 15th only. Admission is free will and proceeds go to the museum.
- SEPT. 15 — Discovery Movement Theatre (featuring Brian and Mary Begley) will headline Vermillion Area Arts Council's Annual Meeting. The public is invited to the Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St., for a Potluck at 6 p.m., performance at 7 p.m. and annual meeting and election at 8 p.m. The event is free.
- SEPT. 23 – "One Book South Dakota" at Vermillion Public Library, 18 Church St. from 3-5 p.m. This year's selection is, "Dammed Indians Revisited: the Continuing History of the Pick-Sloan Plan and the Missouri River Sioux" by Michael Lawson. Discussion will be led by Jamie Sullivan of Mt. Marty College. Refreshments will be served. Free.
- SEPT. 26 – Resume Writing and Job Search Assistance from 6-8 p.m. at ID Weeks Library 205 on USD campus. Bring a copy of your resume. To enroll for this free class, visit: https://aceware.usd.edu/CourseStatus.awp?&course=RESUMEJOB3.
- OCT. 7 – "The Price is Right" is coming to the Sioux City Orpheum Theatre at 7 p.m. Tickets can be bought at the Tyson Box Office, by calling ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000, or by logging onto www.ticketmaster.com.
– Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do, please call 624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
provided on the routes, and sag vehicles are out until every rider returns. Lunch served at Immanuel Lutheran Church from 10:30 am to 3 pm & is open to the public. Registration forms available at http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ under events, and also at many area businesses,& bike riding sites. For more information, contact John Gille (guy-lee) at 605-421-5050 or email email@example.com All riders must have helmets; walk-ins are always welcome.
- AUG. 20 — 5th annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at the Bluff's Golf Course. Registration and Team Photos from 12:00-12:45pm with golf starting at 1:00 pm. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. For registration and information contact Gerry Tracy at 605-624-4419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AUG. 22 — First Day of School for Vermillion Public Schools
- AUG. 23 — The Department of Labor and Regulation will be holding a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St. from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is designed to assist and train job seekers on how to find and secure employment. Some of the topics included are job search and retention skills, networking, the hidden job market, resumes, applications and proper interview techniques. It is provided at no charge and open to the public. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900, by Tuesday, Aug. 21, before 5 p.m. For more information, visit www.sdjobs.org.
- AUG. 25-26 — The Great Dakota Wine Fest at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St. Cooking with wine demonstrations, live music and more. Visit www.greatdakotawinefest.com.
- AUG. 26 — The annual Pancake Fly-In Breakfast sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club and Main Street Center will be at the Vermillion Airport. Pancakes, sausages and beverages will be served from 8 a.m.-noon in the airport hangar. Proceeds to benefit the Main Street Center.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.