FRIDAY, December 14
- Debate: Brookings, at 11 a.m. (T).
- A reception for the artists of "People on People on People," from 6-8 p.m. at John A. Day Gallery, Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts on USD campus.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 15
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Debate: Brookings, 8 a.m. (T).
- Heartland Humane Society Meet & Greet dogs for adoption in Vermillion at Ace Hardware, 812 Cottage Ave. from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Ace Hardware is offering one free bag of dog food with qualified adoptions and will also have raffle prizes during the event. Also, shelter at 601 1/2 Burleigh St. in Yankton will be open from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. to view or adopt cats and kittens. Anyone interested in adopting an animal is encouraged to fill out an application prior to Meet & Greet. Applications available at the shelter or online at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net.
- Graduation Commencement, 10 a.m. at the DakotaDome.
Monday, DECEMBER 17
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- Fifth Grade Concert at Vermillion High School at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, DECEMBER 18
- Vermillion Rotary Club Meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 19
- Santa is coming to the Cherry Street Grille. Come in from 5-7 p.m. and get your photo taken with Santa and a FREE kids meal for all kids who bring a donation for the Vermillion Food Pantry. Adult supervision required.
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 20
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting, 6 p.m. at W.H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall.
- DEC. 21 — The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 W. Cherry St. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 19.
- DEC. 21 — Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- JAN. 8-10 — The 30th Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 8-10 at the DakotaDome. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Thursday. Free admission and free parking. For more information please go to www.farmshowusa.com. For vendor information, please call Penny Swank at 507-437-7969.
- MARCH 15-16 & 22-23 — 2013 Schmeckfest in Freeman. Meal served from 4-7 p.m. "Fiddler on the Roof," performance at 8 p.m. For ticket information, call 605-925-4542 or visit: www.schmeckfest.com.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.