SATURDAY, DECEMBER 29
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
Monday, DECEMBER 31
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 3
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting, 6 p.m. in the W.H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall.
- Registration for dance classes at Vermillion Area Dance Organization, 19 S. Plum, from 6-8 p.m.
- JAN. 4 — Hospital Auxiliary meeting, 1:30 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Board Room, 20 S. Plum (Administrative entrance). New members are always welcome.
- JAN. 5 — Debate at Lennox, TBA.
- JAN. 5 — Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- JAN. 7 — ?Classes resume at Vermillion Public Schools.
- JAN. 8-10 — The 30th Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 8-10 at the DakotaDome. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Thursday. Free admission and free parking. For more information please go to www.farmshowusa.com. For vendor information, please call Penny Swank at 507-437-7969.
- JAN. 11 — Brown Bag Lunch program, "Rich Blues and More," featuring Rich Patton on guitar, harmonica and tenor sax at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on the USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- JAN. 19 — Vermillion Area Farmers Market, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the 4-H Building, 515 High St.
- JAN. 21 — Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service: The University of South Dakota will be honoring Dr. King's legacy by taking part in a national day of service. All members of the USD and Vermillion community are invited to register and participate in this wonderful event. Volunteers will meet at noon in the Muenster University Center for a brief orientation before heading out to various organizations in the community to perform service. The day's events conclude at 4 p.m. with reflection and re-orientation at the Muenster University Center. To register, visit https://www.pschydata.com/s.asp?SID=147660. For more information contact AWOL@coyotes.usd.edu or call (605) 677-6338.
- JAN. 23 — The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry St. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume, cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 3 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22.
- FEB. 10 — "Shrek the Musical," at the Orpheum in Sioux City. Call (712) 224-6423 or e-mail email@example.com for ticket information.
- MARCH 15-16 & 22-23 — 2013 Schmeckfest in Freeman. Meal served from 4-7 p.m. "Fiddler on the Roof," performance at 8 p.m. For ticket information, call 605-925-4542 or visit: www.schmeckfest.com.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail email@example.com.