Join District 17 Legislators, Sen. Tom Jones and House representatives Nancy Rasmussen and Ray Ring for an update on the 88th legislative session. The cracker barrel sessions will take place from 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 2 and March 2 at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center St. The events are open to the public and everyone is encouraged to join us for some great discussion. Refreshments will be served. Sponsored by the VFW Auxiliary, Clay County Democrats, Clay County Republicans and the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
Business After Hours and Ribbon Cutting Celebration at HeartPrint Home Care, 2610 East SD Highway 50 (across the highway from New 2 You), is Wednesday, Feb. 13. Business After Hours will be from 5-7 p.m. with the ribbon-cutting ceremony at 5:30 p.m. join us to help HeartPrint Home Care celebrate their new location, make new contacts, socialize and find out what they have to offer. Appetizers and refreshments will be served, plus a take-home gift for everyone.
The Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company (VCDC) is seeking nominations for the 2013 Vermillion Community Leader Award and the 2013 Vermillion Area Family Business Award.
The VCDC is looking for a Vermillion area individual with a strong record of success, community involvement, and community service. This award recognizes the accomplishments of a Vermillion area individual and his/her contributions to our community.
The VCDC is also looking for a family business with a strong record of success, family involvement, community service, multi-generational culture and a positive family business structure. This award recognizes the accomplishments of a Vermillion area family business and their contributions to our community.
The VCDC invites you to nominate your choice for one or both awards. The winners will be presented their awards at the Annual Vermillion Area Chamber and Community Awards Banquet on March 14. Nomination forms are available at www.vermillionchamber.com or at the VCDC office at 116 Market Street, phone 624-5571. The nomination deadline is Feb. 18.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
The City of Vermillion is hosting a Citizens Academy in spring 2013 for citizens over the age of 18. The Citizens Academy is a free, hands-on, interactive public information program that allows citizens an insight into City services and the functions of City Departments. Applications are available at City Hall or online at www.vermillion.us. Vermillion residents are given first consideration. Class size is limited to 20 participants.
The Clay-Union Foundation is offering a $500 community service scholarship to graduating seniors from Vermillion or Elk Point-Jefferson High School. Applications are available at http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ under the events tab. Students will be able to fill out the application online, and e-mail it directly for consideration. Applications will be accepted until March 1, and then reviewed by the board. Awards will be announced at their school awards night, with the scholarship given in January of their second semester. For further information, call John Gille at (605) 421-5050 or e-mail email@example.com.
Are you interested in an intern for your business? USD students are eager to gain real-world work experience with you. Internships can be paid or unpaid and students can gain college credit for their experience with you. If you are interested in accepting interns at your business, contact Carly at Carly.Heard@usd.edu.
Exhibition: “Picturing Native: Photographs from Edward Curtis, Horace Poolaw and Zig Jackson” at John A. Day Gallery located in Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts on USD campus. On display through end of January.
DavidaArtCompany presents: Detroit Anthology, an exhibition of prints by Jay Wallace now through Feb. 22. Hosted by Cafe Brule, 24 W. Main St. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit meruscreative.com to see more artwork by Jay Wallace.
FRIDAY, FEB. 1
- Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring Mat D, singer and guitarist from Sioux City at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- Hospital Auxiliary meeting at Sanford Vermillion Boardroom, 20 S. Plum (administrative entrance) at 1:30 p.m. New members are always needed.
- Bowling: Dell Rapids at 4 p.m. (T)
- Boys Basketball vs. Madison at 4:45 p.m. (T)
- Girls Basketball vs. Sgt. Bluff-Luton at 4:45 p.m. (H)
- Music Recital: Erik Mahon presents his graduate trumpet recital at 6 p.m. in Farber Hall located in Old Main on USD campus. Open to the public at no charge.
- Music Concert: USD’s Rawlins Piano Trio at 7:30 p.m. at National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public at no charge. To learn more about these world-class musicians visit www.rawlinstrio.com.
SATURDAY, FEB. 2
- Community Health and Wellness Fair from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Lee Medicine Building, Clark and Dakota streets on the USD campus. Sponsored by Sanford Vermillion in partnership with USD Health Sciences departments and School of Medicine. Heart screening, blood draw screenings, speakers, demonstrations and more. (Appointment required for heart screenings). Call 624-2611 or visit sanfordvermillion.org for complete schedule of events and heart screening cost.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Big 8 Conference Wrestling at West Central at 10 a.m.
- Festival: USD Day at the Washington Pavillion from 5-9 p.m.: USD Fine Arts students are showcased at the Sioux Falls Washington Pavillion, in an evening of art, music and theatre. Reception and Art Show 5-7 p.m. Music/Theatre Showcase Performance at 7:30. The public is invited to this event at no charge.
- USD Women’s Basketball host North Dakota State University at the DakotaDome at 7 p.m.
- TBA-Debate: Brandon Valley (T)
MONDAY, FEB. 4
- Public School dismissal at 2 p.m.
- Parent/teacher conferences from 2:30-8 p.m.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, FEB. 5
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- Boys/Girls Basketball: Dakota Valley at 4 p.m. (H). First Bank and Trust will be sponsoring free popcorn night for the Vermillion High School Boys and Girls Basketball games.
- After-Prom fundraiser/Dad’s Belgian waffles – All you can eat, from 5-7 p.m. at Vermillion High School Commons. Adults $6 advance/$7 at door; Kids 6-12 $4 advance/$5 at door; 5 and younger-Free. Advance Tickets available at all home sporting events, VHS office, Davis Pharmacy.
- Wrestling: Harrisburg at 5:30 p.m. at Sioux Falls Washington.
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 6
- No school: 8 a.m.-noon teacher in-service; 1-6 p.m. Parent-teacher conferences.
- TBA-SDHSAA Vocal/Piano Contest at Yankton.
THURSDAY, FEB. 7
- 7th/8th grade boys basketball: Yankton at 4:15 p.m. (H)
- Girls basketball: West Central at 5 p.m. (T)
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at the W. H. Over Museum in Sletword Hall at 6 p.m.
- FEB. 8 – Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring USD Opera Quartet, with Susan Keith Gray, piano, at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- FEB. 8 – Boys/Girls Basketball: Harrisburg at 4 p.m. (T)
- FEB. 8 – Wrestling: Elk Point/Jefferson at 6:30 p.m. (H)
- FEB. 9 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance.
- FEB. 9 – ACT Test at Vermillion High School.
- FEB. 9 – Heartland Humane Society to host Meet and Greet from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Yankton Bomgaars, 2300 Broadway Ave. If interested in adopting an animal, applications are available at the shelter, 601 ½ Burleigh St., Yankton or visit www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. For more information, call (605) 664-4244.
- FEB. 15 – The Department of Labor &Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St. from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 13.
- FEB. 20 – “Shrek the Musical” at the Orpheum in Sioux City. Call (712) 224-6423 or e-mail email@example.com for ticket information.
- FEB. 26 – Wind and Solar Energy Conference, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., at Sioux City Convention Center, 801 4th St. For more information or to register: ISU Extension and Outreach-Woodbury Co., (712) 276-2157 or visit www.extension.iastate.edu/woodbury. (Note: registration fee paid by Feb. 15 is $35 or $45 after that date.)
– Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.