Friday, January 18
- Brown Bag Lunch program, "Rawlins Trio," with Rodger Kelly on harpsichord at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- Debate at Watertown (TBA).
- One-act play at Vermillion High School at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, January 19
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the 4-H Building, 515 High St.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Debate at Watertown (TBA).
Sunday, January 20
- The St. Agnes Youth Group is having a French toast breakfast fundraiser from 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. at the St. Agnes gym. This fundraiser is for the St. Agnes Youth Group Winter Ski Trip in February to Mt. Kato, MN. There will be a free-will offering taken at the door. For more information, contact Ray Hofman at 624-6457. Catholic United will have matching funds for this project.
Monday, January 21
- Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service: The University of South Dakota will be honoring Dr. King's legacy by taking part in a national day of service. All members of the USD and Vermillion community are invited to register and participate in this wonderful event. Volunteers will meet at noon in the Muenster University Center for a brief orientation before heading out to various organizations in the community to perform service. The day's events conclude at 4 p.m. with reflection and re-orientation at the Muenster University Center. To register, visit https://www.pschydata.com/s.asp?SID=147660. For more information contact AWOL@coyotes.usd.edu or call (605) 677-6338.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- No school at Vermillion Public Schools and USD.
- Quad State Honor Band at USD at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, January 22
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- First Dakota National Bank to host AgriVisions 2013 at the Best Western Kelly Inn, 1607 E. Hwy. 50, Yankton, at 7 p.m. Featured speaker: Dr. Elwynn Taylor, Professor of Ag Meteorology at Iowa State University. Farmers, agri-business professionals and business owners are invited to attend. Registration from 6:30-7 p.m. Call 665-4904 or (800) 657-5826.
Wednesday, JANUARY 23
- The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry St. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume, cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 3 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 24
- Free concert at 7 p.m. Red Earth Co-op will be hosting local folk/bluegrass/jazz favorite Jami Lynn. Enjoy live music and learn about the new co-op coming to Vermillion. Event will be at the store, 108 E. Main St., more details at www.redearthcoop.com.
- JAN. 26 — Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- JAN. 26 — "Speakeasy Party" at the Eagles, 114 W. Main St. from 7-11 p.m. Come dressed as your favorite gangster or flapper from the 1920s. Prizes awarded for the Best-Dressed Gangster and Best-Dressed Flapper. Proceeds benefit local charities.
- JAN. 27 — The St. Agnes Council of the Knights of Columbus are having their Free-Throw Contest at 1 p.m. at the Vermillion High School Gym. This free-throw contest is for boys and girls ages 10 to 14 years old. First-place winners in each age group will receive a T-shirt. For more information, contact Ray Hofman at 624-6457.
- JAN. 27 — The Yankton Literacy Council will be holding the third annual Scrabble Tournament at The Center, 900 Whiting Dr., Yankton. Registration is at 12:30 p.m. and the game will run from 1-4 p.m.
- FEB. 2 — Community Health and Wellness Fair from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Lee Medicine Building, Clark and Dakota streets on USD campus. Sponsored by Sanford Vermillion in partnership with USD Health Sciences departments and School of Medicine. Heart screening, blood draw screenings, speakers, demonstrations and more. (Appointment required for heart screenings.) Call 624-2611 or visit sanfordvermillion.org for complete schedule of events and heart screening cost.
- FEB. 5 — After-Prom Fundraiser/Dad's Belgian Waffles – All you can eat, from 5-7 p.m. at Vermillion High School Commons. Adults $6 advance/$7 at door; Kids 6-12 $4 advance/$5 at door; 5 and younger free. Advance Tickets available at all home sporting events, VHS office, Davis Pharmacy.
- FEB. 20 — "Shrek the Musical," at the Orpheum in Sioux City. Call (712) 224-6423 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for ticket information.
- MARCH 15-16 & 22-23 — 2013 Schmeckfest in Freeman. Meal served from 4-7 p.m. "Fiddler on the Roof," performance at 8 p.m. For ticket information, call 605-925-4542 or visit: www.schmeckfest.com.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.