FRIDAY, January 11
- Brown Bag Lunch program, "Rich Blues and More," featuring Rich Patton on guitar, harmonica and tenor sax at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on the USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- Debate at Sioux Falls Lincoln at 2 p.m. (T)
SATURDAY, January 12
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Music Recital: Zach Rohlwing presents a masters piano recital at 7 p.m. at Colton Recital Hall located in Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts on USD campus. Open to the public at no charge.
Monday, January 14
- Former U.S. Senator James Abouezk to speak at noon on "Issues Affecting the United States in the Middle East today," at Farber Hall located in Old Main on the USD campus.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
Tuesday, January 15
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- Lecture: 2013 Dean's Lecture Series at Beacom School of Business presents Paul Ellingstad, "People, Planet, Profit … What Matters?" at 4 p.m. Beacom Hall.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 17
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at the W.H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall at 6 p.m.
- JAN. 18 — Brown Bag Lunch program, "Rawlins Trio," with Rodger Kelly on harpsichord at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- JAN. 19 — Vermillion Area Farmers Market, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the 4-H Building, 515 High St.
- JAN. 19 — Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- JAN. 21 — Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service: The University of South Dakota will be honoring Dr. King's legacy by taking part in a national day of service. All members of the USD and Vermillion community are invited to register and participate in this wonderful event. Volunteers will meet at noon in the Muenster University Center for a brief orientation before heading out to various organizations in the community to perform service. The day's events conclude at 4 p.m. with reflection and re-orientation at the Muenster University Center. To register, visit https://www.pschydata.com/s.asp?SID=147660. For more information contact AWOL@coyotes.usd.edu or call (605) 677-6338.
- JAN. 23 — The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry St. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume, cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 3 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22.
- JAN. 24 — Free concert at 7 p.m. Red Earth Co-op will be hosting local folk/bluegrass/jazz favorite Jami Lynn. Enjoy live music and learn about the new co-op coming to Vermillion. Event will be at the store, 108 E. Main St. More details at www.redearthcoop.com.
- FEB. 20 — "Shrek the Musical," at the Orpheum in Sioux City. Call (712) 224-6423 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for ticket information.
- MARCH 15-16 & 22-23 — 2013 Schmeckfest in Freeman. Meal served from 4-7 p.m. "Fiddler on the Roof," performance at 8 p.m. For ticket information, call 605-925-4542 or visit: www.schmeckfest.com.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Community Calendar? If you do please call the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company at 605-624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com or contact the Plain Talk at 605-624-2695 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.