Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce & Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
David Owen, SD Chamber and Industry President is hosting a weekly conference call during the legislative session with local chamber and economic development groups. This is a good way to keep informed as to what’s happening during the 2013 session. The calls are on Fridays at noon during the legislative session at the VCDC office at 116 Market St. Everyone is welcome. Sponsored by the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee. Please note: There will be no call on Friday, Feb. 22.
The new 2013 Vermillion Visitor Guides have arrived. Copies can be picked up at the VCDC, 116 Market St. or call 624-5571.
2013 Vermillion Area Community Leader Award and 2013 Vermillion Area Family Business Award Nominations:
The Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) is seeking nominations for the 2013 Vermillion Community Leader Award and the 2013 Vermillion Area Family Business Award.
The VCDC is looking for a Vermillion area individual with a strong record of success, community involvement, and community service. This award recognizes the accomplishments of a Vermillion area individual and his/her contributions to our community.
The VCDC is also looking for a family business with a strong record of success, family involvement, community service, multi-generational culture, and a positive family business structure. This award recognizes the accomplishments of a Vermillion area family business and their contributions to our community.
The VCDC invites you to nominate your choice for one or both awards. The winners will be presented their awards at the Annual Vermillion Area Chamber and Community Awards Banquet on March 14. Nomination forms are available at www.vermillionchamber.com or at the VCDC office at 116 Market St., phone 624-5571. The nomination deadline is Feb. 18.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
Business After Hours and ribbon-cutting celebration at HeartPrint Home Care, 2610 East SD Highway 50 (across the hwy from New 2 You), is Wednesday, Feb. 13. Business After Hours will be from 5-7 p.m. with the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at 5:30 p.m. Please join us to help HeartPrint Home Care celebrate their new location, make new contacts, socialize, and find out what they have to offer. Appetizers and refreshments will be served, plus a take-home gift for everyone.
Cracker Barrel session with our Legislators will be Saturday, March 2 from 10 a.m. to noon at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center St. Please join District 17 Legislators, Sen. Tom Jones and House representatives Nancy Rasmussen and Ray Ring for an update on the 88th Legislative Session. Open to the public and everyone is encouraged to join us for some great discussion. Refreshments will be served. Sponsored by the VFW Auxiliary, Clay County Democrats, Clay County Republicans, and the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
Save the Date: The Annual Vermillion Area Chamber and Community Awards Banquet will be Thursday, March 14, at The Eagles. More information will be available soon.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
The City of Vermillion is hosting a Citizens Academy in spring 2013 for citizens over the age of 18. The Citizens Academy is a free, hands-on, interactive public information program that allows citizens an insight into City services and the functions of City Departments. Applications are available at City Hall or online at www.vermillion.us. Vermillion residents are given first consideration. Class size is limited to 20 participants.
The Clay-Union Foundation is offering a $500 community service scholarship to graduating seniors from Vermillion or Elk Point-Jefferson High School. Applications are available at the website: http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ under the events tab. Students will be able to fill out the application online, and e-mail it directly for consideration. Applications will be accepted until March 1, and then reviewed by the board. Awards will be announced at their school awards night, with the scholarship given in January of their second semester. For further information, please call John Gille at (605) 421-5050 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you interested in an intern for your business? USD students are eager to gain real-world work experience with you. Internships can be paid or unpaid and students can gain college credit for their experience with you. If you are interested in accepting interns at your business, contact Carly at Carly.Heard@usd.edu.
DavidaArtCompany presents “Detroit Anthology,” an exhibition of prints by Jay Wallace now through Feb. 22. Hosted by Cafe Brule, 24 W. Main St. For more information: Contact email@example.com or visit meruscreative.com to see more artwork by Jay Wallace.
FRIDAY, FEB. 8
- Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring USD Opera Quartet, with Susan Keith Gray, piano, at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- Debate at Harrisburg at 3 p.m.
- Boys/Girls Basketball: Harrisburg at 4 p.m. (T)
- Bowling at Harrisburg at 4 p.m.
- Wrestling: Elk Point/Jefferson at 6:30 p.m. (H)
FRIDAY, FEB. 9
- ACT Test at Vermillion High School at 8 a.m.
- Debate at Harrisburg at 8 a.m.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- ACT Test at Vermillion High School.
- Heartland Humane Society to host Meet and Greet from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Yankton Bomgaars, 2300 Broadway Ave. If interested in adopting an animal, applications are available at the shelter, 601 ½ Burleigh St., Yankton or visit www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. For more information, call (605) 664-4244.
- USD women’s basketball host University of Missouri-Kansas City at the DakotaDome at 2 p.m.
SUNDAY, FEB. 10
- Clay County Relay for Life from 1 p.m.-3:30 p.m. at the DakotaDome. To register or create a team visit www.relay.org/usd. Suggested donation: $10/person. Fundraiser for fight against cancer.
MONDAY, FEB. 11
- International Forum: “Are We Losing Africa to Al-Qaeda?” at noon in Farber Hall located, in Old Main on USD campus. Panel discussion with Dr. Moses Ikiugu and Dr. Isaac Joslin Moderator: Dr. Benno Wymar. The event is sponsored by the USD Beacom School of Business. Open to the public at no charge.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, FEB. 12
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- Boys/Girls basketball: Wagner, at 4 p.m. (H). Sanford Vermillion will be sponsoring free popcorn night for the Vermillion High School Boys and Girls Basketball games. Also, watch for the basketball shoot-out at halftime of the boys’ varsity game.
- 7/8th grade boys basketball vs. Elk Point-Jefferson at 4 p.m. (T)
- American Legion Wallace Post and Auxiliary meeting at 7 p.m. at the Main Street Center located at 320 W. Main St.
THURSDAY, FEB. 14
- 7/8th grade boys basketball vs. Dakota Valley at 4 p.m. (H)
- FEB. 15 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St., from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wed., Feb.13.
- FEB. 15 – Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring Gail Dooley from Sioux City: Appalachian folk songs and dulcimer at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- FEB. 15 – Vermillion Middle School dance for 7th and 8th grades only from 7-9 p.m.
- FEB. 16 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- FEB. 16 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Clay County Extension Building, 515 High St. If interested in becoming a vendor for winter market, call Amy, (605) 659-3399.
- FEB. 20 – “Shrek the Musical” at the Orpheum in Sioux City. Call (712) 224-6423 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for ticket information
- FEB. 26 – Wind and Solar Energy Conference, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., at Sioux City Convention Center, 801 4th St. For more information or to register: ISU Extension and Outreach-Woodbury Co., (712) 276-2157 or visit www.extension.iastate.edu/woodbury. (Note: registration fee paid by Feb. 15 is $35 or $45 after that date.)
– Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do, call 624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com.