Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
David Owen, SD Chamber and Industry President is hosting a weekly conference call during the legislative session with local chamber and economic development groups. This is a good way to keep informed as to what’s happening during the 2013 session. The calls are on Fridays at noon during the legislative session at the VCDC office at 116 Market St. Everyone is welcome. Sponsored by the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
Cracker Barrel session with our legislators will be Saturday, March 2 from 10 a.m. to noon at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center St. Please join District 17 Legislators, Sen. Tom Jones and House Representatives Nancy Rasmussen and Ray Ring for an update on the 88th legislative session. Open to the public and everyone is encouraged to join us for some great discussion. Refreshments will be served. Sponsored by the VFW Auxiliary, Clay County Democrats, Clay County Republicans, and the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
The Annual Vermillion Area Chamber and Community Awards Banquet is Thursday, March 14, at the Eagles Club, 114 E. Main St. The social hour will begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner and the program. It is a time to thank all of the members, individuals, and volunteers who support and contribute to the success of the chamber and business community. The banquet also gives us an opportunity to recognize the outstanding achievements of the community’s leaders and organizations by presenting the Family Business of the Year Award, the Mayor’s Community Service Award, the United Way Volunteer of the Year Award, the VCDC Community Leader Award, along with other awards. The guest speaker is Lt. Gov. Matt Michels. The banquet is open to the public and tickets are on sale for $30 each at the Chamber office at 116 Market St. or contact us at (605) 624-5571.
Open house and ribbon-cutting ceremony at Meridian Title of Clay County, 100 E. Main St., is Tuesday, April 23. The open house will be from 5-7 p.m. with the ribbon-cutting ceremony at 5:30 p.m. Please join us to welcome Meridian Title to Vermillion, make new contacts, and find out what they have to offer. Refreshments will be served, plus a take-home gift for everyone!
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Vermillion High School needs your help: The mission of the Vermillion School District is, “To empower all students to maximize their success in our global community.” With this in mind, the state is mandating additional offerings for graduation starting in the fall of 2013 to include some sort of Senior Experience. This might take the form of becoming a mentor or providing job shadowing and internship opportunities.
In order to assist the district with the implementation and sustainability of such a program, we are requesting adults and businesses in the community to please take a moment to fill out this quick survey. This will help us know of opportunities to give every student “the right opportunity and responsibility to learn academics and essential life skills to prepare them to live successfully in an ever changing world.” Thank you in advance for your participation. The survey is available at: http://vermillion.k12.sd.us//cms/module/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=114 or visit our Web site at www.vermillion.k12.sd.us and under Headlines click on Parents/Community – VHS Needs Your Help.
FRIDAY, MARCH 1
- USD Spring Orchestra Festival, Wayne S. Knutson Theatre located in Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts (all day).
- Brown Bag Lunch Program: John Klinghammer, Associate principal clarinet, Omaha Symphony, featuring jazz inspired works for clarinet, at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. March’s free Friday sponsor is City of Vermillion. Free and open to the public.
- State Debate and IE at Yankton.
- Middle School All State Band at Pierre.
SATURDAY, MARCH 2
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- AAU District Wrestling at 10:30 a.m. (H)
- Boys Basketball: District 8A at Dakota Valley, 7 p.m.
- State Debate and IE.
- Middle School All-State Band at Pierre.
MONDAY, MARCH 4
- Second annual clothing and blanket drive, Monday, March 4-29 for SD’s Rosebud Reservation. Donations may be dropped off at: Pressing Matters Printing, 102 E. Main St., M-F, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Donations must be clean and in good working condition – no purses, high heel shoes or “dry clean only” clothing.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, MARCH 5
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- MARCH 9 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- MARCH 10 – East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam” (second Sunday of each month), from 1-6 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome – open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118.
- MARCH 10 – Fundraising banquet to be held at the W. H. Over Museum beginning at 5:30 p.m. Catered by Cherry Street Grille, music provided by Bruce Gray and Cindy Gehm, silent auction, everyone welcome. Tickets $25 and available at the museum or from board members.
- MARCH 12 – American Legion Wallace Post and Auxiliary meeting at Main Street Center, 320 W. Main St., 7 p.m.
- MARCH 12 – “Dreamgirls,” a Tony and Academy Award winning musical appearing at the Orpheum in Sioux City at 7:30 p.m. Call (712) 224-6423 or e-mail: email@example.com for ticket information.
- MARCH 15-16 – Come enjoy the animal themed “Family Weekend Arts Crawl” in Vermillion. University Art Galleries, participating hotels, restaurants, museums and businesses are planning events for Vermillion visitors and residents. For more details and a detailed schedule go to the W.H. Over Museum Web site at whovermuseum.org or contact Maureen Cashin at the VCDC office, 624-5571.
- MARCH 16 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Clay County Extension Building, 515 High St. If interested in becoming a vendor for winter market, call Amy, (605) 659-3399.
- MARCH 15-16, 22-23 – 2013 Schmeckfest in Freeman. Meal served from 4-7 p.m. “Fiddler on the Roof” performance at 8 p.m. For ticket information, call (605) 925-4542 or visit www.schmeckfest.com.
- MARCH 16-17 – 41st Annual USD Wacipi at USD DakotaDome. Grand entry: Saturday, 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday, 1 p.m. All dancers and drums welcome. Host drum: Bad Nation. Prizes provided. For more information visit: firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook.
- MARCH 22 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 W. Cherry St. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, March 20.
– Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do, call 624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com.