Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market St., Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
David Owen, SD Chamber and Industry President will host a conference call, Friday, March 8 with local chamber and economic development groups. This is a good way to keep informed as to what’s happening during the 2013 session. The call will be at noon at the VCDC office at 116 Market St. Everyone is welcome. Sponsored by the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
Please join the VCDC Ambassadors in welcoming Vermillion’s newest business, The Front Porch, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Tuesday, March 12, at 5:30 p.m. The Front Porch is located in the front portion of The Spa at Wynie Mae’s new location at 25 West Main St. The public is also invited to their Grand Opening Celebration from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
The Annual Vermillion Area Chamber and Community Awards Banquet is Thursday, March 14, at the Eagles Club, 114 E Main St. The social hour will begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner and the program. It is a time to thank all of the members, individuals, and volunteers who support and contribute to the success of the chamber and business community. The banquet also gives us an opportunity to recognize the outstanding achievements of the community’s leaders and organizations by presenting the Family Business of the Year Award, the Mayor’s Community Service Award, the United Way Volunteer of the Year Award, the VCDC Community Leader Award, along with other awards. The guest speaker is Lt. Gov. Matt Michels. The banquet is open to the public and tickets are on sale for $30 each at the Chamber office at 116 Market St. or contact us at (605) 624-5571 by Friday, March 8.
Open house and ribbon-cutting ceremony at Meridian Title of Clay County, 100 East Main St., is Tuesday, April 23. The Open House will be from 5-7 p.m. with the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at 5:30 p.m. Please join us to welcome Meridian Title to Vermillion, make new contacts, and find out what they have to offer. Refreshments will be served, plus a take-home gift for everyone!
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Vermillion High School Needs Your Help: The mission of the Vermillion School District is, “To empower all students to maximize their success in our global community.”
With this in mind, the state is mandating additional offerings for graduation starting in the fall of 2013 to include some sort of senior experience. This might take the form of becoming a Mentor or providing job-shadowing and internship opportunities.
In order to assist the district with the implementation and sustainability of such a program, we are requesting adults and businesses in the community to please take a moment to fill out this quick survey. This will help us know of opportunities to give every student “the right opportunity and responsibility to learn academics and essential life skills to prepare them to live successfully in an ever changing world.” Thank you in advance for your participation. The survey is available at http://vermillion.k12.sd.us//cms/module/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=114 visit www.vermillion.k12.sd.us and under Headlines click on Parents/Community, VHS Needs Your Help.
The second annual Clothing and Blanket Drive will be held March 4-29 for SD’s Rosebud Reservation. Donations may be dropped off at Pressing Matters Printing, 102 E. Main St., M-F, 8:30-5 p.m. Donations must be clean and in good working condition – no purses, high heel shoes or “dry-clean only” clothing.
FRIDAY, MARCH 8
- The USD Alumni Association invites you to join members of the USD Chamber Singers and conductor, Dr. David Holdhusen on their 2013 tour at 7:30 p.m. This is a great opportunity to reconnect with the University and get to know some impressive USD students. Location: Sioux Falls 1st Congregational Church, 300 S. Minnesota Ave. Goodwill donations accepted.
SATURDAY, MARCH 9
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Best of Show Invite at Sioux Falls, 3:50 p.m.
SUNDAY, MARCH 10
- East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam” from 1-6 p.m. at Washington St. Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome – open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118.
- Fundraising Banquet to be held at the W.H. Over Museum beginning at 5:30 – catered by Cherry St. Grille, music provided by Bruce Gray and Cindy Gehm, silent auction, everyone welcome – tickets $25 and available at the Museum or from board members.
MONDAY, MARCH 11
- Freshman Orientation at Vermillion High School at 6:30 p.m. (This is a change from what is in the school calendar.)
- Lecture on “The Early Modern Theatre, the Canon, and the Market Place: How We Were Robbed” by Professor Peter Hyland, Huron College, Western University, Ontario, at 7 p.m., Farber Hall located in Old Main on USD campus.
- Central College Flying Pans Steel Band, with Special Guests USD Steel Band, at 7:30 p.m., Wayne S. Knutson Theatre located in Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts on USD campus. Visiting ensemble from Pella, IA, joins USD’s Steel Band ensemble. Open to the public at no charge.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, MARCH 12
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center.
- 7th and 8th Grade choral music festival in Gayville, at 7 p.m. Concert is free and open to the public.
- American Legion Wallace Post and Auxiliary meeting at Main St. Center, 320 W. Main St., 7 p.m.
- “Dreamgirls,” a Tony and Academy Award winning musical appearing at the Orpheum in Sioux City, at 7:30 p.m. Call (712) 224-6423 or e-mail email@example.com for ticket information.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13
- Grief Support Group meeting every Wednesday, March 13-April 17 from 5:30-7 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion Hospital Board Room. Pre-registration requested by calling Julie at (605) 638-8484.
THURSDAY, MARCH 14
- Common Sense Parenting classes will be held on Thursday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the Jolley School Library. ( March 14, 21, 27 and April 4, 11, 18) Everyone is welcome but registration is required. Child care will be available for those who need it to attend. Please call the WYCC at (605) 665-4811 or the Clay Co. Health Nurse at (605) 677-6767 to register. This class is sponsored by the Vermillion PTA.
- MARCH 15 – Brown Bag Lunch Program: Luck of the Irish or Ides of March, featuring guitarist, T. Wilson King of Vermillion at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. March’s Free Friday Sponsor is City of Vermillion. Free and open to the public.
- MARCH 15-16 – “Family Weekend Arts Crawl.” USD Art Galleries and participating hotels/restaurants/museums/businesses planning events for Vermillion visitors and residents. Detailed schedule at whovermuseum.org or southeastsouthdakota.com or call the VCDC office at 624-5571.
- MARCH 15-16, MARCH 22-23 – 2013 Schmeckfest in Freeman. Meal served from 4-7 p.m. “Fiddler on the Roof” performance at 8 p.m. For ticket information, call (605) 925-4542 or visit www.schmeckfest.com.
- MARCH 16 – Come and join the USD Spanish club as they sell Polvorones (delicious Mexican cookies) at Sharing the Dream, 10 W. Main St. This is a great way to support the Spanish Club as well as the people and programs we serve in Guatemala.
- MARCH 16 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- MARCH 16 – Heartland Humane Society to participate in Family Weekend Arts Crawl, at Past and Present, 7 W. Cherry St. from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Participants will be able to meet animals available for adoption through HHS. Those interested in adopting during this event are encouraged to complete an adoption application prior to attending.
- MARCH 16 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Clay County Extension Building, 515 High St. If interested in becoming a vendor for winter market, call Amy, (605) 659-3399.
- MARCH 16-71 – 41st Annual USD Wacipi at USD DakotaDome. Grand entry: Saturday, 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday, 1 p.m. All dancers and drums welcome. Host drum: Bad Nation. Prizes provided. For more information visit: firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook.
- MARCH 21 – Cancer Support Group to meet at 2:30 p.m. in Sletwold Room, Trinity Lutheran Church, 816 E. Clark St. For additional information, call Marcy at 624-8706.
– Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber Chat? If you do, call 624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com.