Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The VCDC is the sponsor for Free Fridays at the National Music Museum throughout the month of May. Wind down after a busy week by touring the galleries of this amazing museum, located here in our own community.
Monday, May 27, is Memorial Day Holiday. The VCDC office will be closed.
Vermillion Public Library dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony on Saturday, June 1 at 2 p.m. followed by a tour of the library after the ceremony. The public is invited to come and see the addition and new features of the library. Sen. Tim Johnson will be in attendance.
The Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) Annual Golf Social is Monday, June 24th. The 4-Person Best Ball Scramble Golf Tournament will begin with team sign-in at The Bluffs Golf Course at 11:45 a.m., followed by team pictures. The open format shot gun start will begin at 1 p.m. The buffet dinner will be served at 6 p.m. followed by the golf awards and door prizes. Please call the VCDC office at 624-5571 or e-mail email@example.com to register your team, be a hole sponsor, or donate a pin or door prize. Please register soon.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Heartland Humane Society offers May special: Adopt Two Pets for the Price of One. Consider it a “buy one, get one” special during the month of May as approved adopters can adopt two pets and only pay one adoption fee.
“We are offering this special pricing for these pets so more families can add the charm of animals to their lives,” said Kerry Schmidt, Executive Director for HHS.
Anyone interested in adopting is encouraged to fill out an adoption application prior to selecting a pet. For more information on the adoption process or to view our available pets stop by the shelter at 601 ½ Burleigh Street or go online at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. Currently 33 cats and 8 dogs will be available for adoption during this event.
For additional information, call (605) 664-4244.
Throughout the month of May, the Vermillion Public Library is hosting Let’s Move South Dakota, a traveling hands-on exhibit that will inspire children and families to get active, eat healthy and feel good.
Six interactive stations highlight healthy habits so kids and families can learn and have fun at the same time. The stations are based on the action steps of the Let’s Move initiative started by First Lady Michelle Obama. Families can work on earning the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award PLUS by keeping an exercise log for six weeks.
Exhibit coordinator Anne Lewis said, “Our goal is for families to leave the exhibit with a renewed excitement about getting active and eating healthy foods.”
The exhibit will be at the library until May 29. The exhibit was brought to Vermillion by the library and a grant from Wal-Mart.
FRIDAY, MAY 24
- Special exhibition “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” May 24-Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
- Early dismissal last day of school at 2 p.m.
- State “A” Boys/Girls Track at Sioux Falls.
SATURDAY, MAY 25
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- The VFW will erect the flags honoring Clay County Veterans at the Bluff View Cemetery (weather permitting).
- State “A” Boys/Girls Track at Sioux Falls.
- The 2013 South Dakota Kayak Challenge is set for May 25-26. The Challenge pits racers against 72 miles of Missouri River. A majority of the course is part of the Missouri National Recreational River. It was the first race of its kind in South Dakota when about 90 racers ran it in 2010. In 2011, Missouri River flooding led to cancellation. Last year, almost 160 racers took part in a record-setting run. We welcome all racers who seek a challenge on an amazing part of the Missouri River. Registration deadline is May 18. Web site is www.sdkayakchallenge.org.
MONDAY, MAY 27
- South Dakota American Legion Auxiliary Girls State on USD campus, through June 1.
- The VFW will host a Memorial Day observance at 10 a.m. at the Edith Siegrist Vermillion Public Library.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- State Baseball Championship at Sioux Falls.
TUESDAY, MAY 28
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 29
- “True Beauty Boot Camp” at The Spa at Wynie Mae’s, 25 W. Main for ages 8-12 and 13-17, Wednesday and Thursday, May 29-30. Call (605) 658-1234 for ticket information.
THURSDAY, MAY 30
- Vermillion Area Farmers Marketat the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JUNE 1 – Discovery Days in historic Downtown Vermillion from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. On Main Street from Market to Center Streets there will be retail specials, food specials and family/kid games/events.
- JUNE 1 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JUNE 1 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JUNE 1 – Bikes and Babes Rally4Miracles, Saturday, June 1. A motorcycle themed event for the entire family. Proceeds benefit Children’s Miracle Network. Pre-register online at https://www.sanfordhealth.org/forms/bikesbabes or on June 1 from 9-10 a.m. at Vermillion Wal-Mart. Ride leaves at 10 a.m. Registration is $25-includes t-shirt, poker card and hand, chance for door prizes and admission to the Argus Leader RibFest.
- JUNE 1 – Rhubarb Days at W.H. Over Museum from 10-11:30 a.m. Tastings, Recipe entries, Quilt Lecture by Dr. Virginia Johnson, Quilt display, apron display (new/old), and Rudy and Ruby (the Rhubarbs) present in cutout form for photographs. South Dakota magazine has dubbed free event the “Pucker Party.”
- JUNE 1 – Second annual Taste and Tour in downtown Vermillion will showcase a dozen businesses and raise funds for the paws at Heartland Humane Society from 6:30-10:30 p.m. Tickets go on sale soon and can be purchased at the shelter, Vermillion Chamber, or Nook ‘n Cranny in Vermillion. Food, beverages, sale items and much more. Each location offers a chance to win a raffle prize. For a full list of what is happening, check out the events tab at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net.
- JUNE 3-6 – National Music Museum to offer “Summer Explorer Series” to introduce children to the instruments in the collection for students entering the 4th-6th grade in the fall of 2013. For additional information/registration form, e-mail email@example.com or call 677-5306.
- JUNE 3 – Summer Food Service Program, Monday, June 3 at Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information visit 677-7000.
- JUNE 13 – An evening of Bluegrass Music with David Davis and the Warrior River Boys at 7 p.m. at the Washington Street Arts Center, 202 N. Washington St. in Vermillion. $10 for advance tickets or $12 at the door. Call for advance tickets (877) 621-4118. Sponsored by The East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association and the Vermillion Area Arts Council.